Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a FAQ for getting the game to work? I unzipped all the folders onto my SD card, put it in the Wii, deleted all my stages in Brawl, backed out, went back in, and...nothing. I'm sure I've done something wrong, like possibly download the wrong file (I did no homebrew wifi, because I don't have homebrew and I do have wifi). Anything obvious I may be missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

timp posted:

Is there a FAQ for getting the game to work? I unzipped all the folders onto my SD card, put it in the Wii, deleted all my stages in Brawl, backed out, went back in, and...nothing. I'm sure I've done something wrong, like possibly download the wrong file (I did no homebrew wifi, because I don't have homebrew and I do have wifi). Anything obvious I may be missing?

Try loading the SD Card menu in stage builder on a fresh boot of the system after deleting all the custom stages. I tried deleting the custom stages and then going to the SD Card menu and nothing happened, but then I turned the power off and on (the game soft locked) and then tried going to the SD Card menu again and that time it launched fine.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Delete all the stages off the Wii and SD Card and then put the files onto the blank SD card. I think I did the same the first time I tried using Project M and it wouldn't boot so I made sure all stages were deleted, wiped the SD Card and placed all of the files in there after. THEN I tried booting it up. I think it might write some sort of file to the SD Card after you delete the stages which stops it from working.

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008
Also, I'm playing some matches against the CPU, and Link just decided to wreck me, and proceeded to do a taunt where he pulled out Navi, who informed me to "Listen" anyone figure out how to do this yet? I was giddy when I saw it, so spoilered in case you want the surprise!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm kind of in awe that they got this working at all, and that was before i saw the skins. Is there anywhere they talk about the development of this to because the nerd in me is fascinated.

I'm used to most mods to be incredibly janky and unpolished, and that's on the PC, so it blows my mind they managed this on a closed console.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Oh my god you can cancel into taunts in Turbo Mode. I canceled a Falcon Punch into Show Me Your Moves and it was the most amazing thing. :allears:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What the heck is that butterfly Metaknight costume and why isn't it Galactaknight? :colbert:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Am I missing something or is Kirby's horizontal up-B insanely hard?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
You have to hold sideways, if you just tap sideways you'll still do the vertical cutter.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

timp posted:

Is your SD card 2GB or less? Brawl can't read it if it's any larger.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Cadetcons posted:

Also, I'm playing some matches against the CPU, and Link just decided to wreck me, and proceeded to do a taunt where he pulled out Navi, who informed me to "Listen" anyone figure out how to do this yet? I was giddy when I saw it, so spoilered in case you want the surprise!

I figured out how to do this. If you quickly tap side-taunt (the same way you would when trying to activate the easter eggs on Shadow Moses Island or the Star Fox stages) you'll do the Navi taunt instead of the Melee one.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I only played one match but it also seems like you have to hold B or it won't work.

Also, via Twitter:

Project M posted:

Bigger SD Cards will work soonish, right now they do not. No ETA on it but we will announce it when the option is available.

This is really great because this update along with my music exceeds 2GB.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

What the heck is that butterfly Metaknight costume and why isn't it Galactaknight? :colbert:
It's based off concept art for Metaknight.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Does this have any AI changes? Seems I remember playing a long time ago and any time an item spawned the AI would drop what they were doing and make a beeline for it, no matter what it was. Always kinda bugged me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Does this have any AI changes? Seems I remember playing a long time ago and any time an item spawned the AI would drop what they were doing and make a beeline for it, no matter what it was. Always kinda bugged me.
I haven't tested it, but they say they've reworked the AI extensively.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh man I love the little details they added to Roy's animations to make him less of a Marth clone. :allears: So far I've seen that for any move that Marth would normally slice in front of him, then behind, Roy just spins around. Roy's forward tilt is now a stab and his up tilt sweeps from back to front. He still plays kinda like Marth, sure, but it's the little things that make him stand out on his own.

Edit: I just realized Roy's downward fourth strike for Double-Edge Dance is a reference to Sol's Gun Flame from Guilty Gear. That's loving amazing. :allears:

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 10, 2013

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Simsmagic posted:

Is your SD card 2GB or less? Brawl can't read it if it's any larger.

It's a 2GB. I thought for sure I'd figured it out when I realized I didn't unzip all of the files originally. Now I've got all 6 files on there and it still won't work. I'm bummed. :(

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

timp posted:

It's a 2GB. I thought for sure I'd figured it out when I realized I didn't unzip all of the files originally. Now I've got all 6 files on there and it still won't work. I'm bummed. :(
What brand is it? A lot of people bought PNY cards that are mislabeled as 2GB when they're actually 4GB.

e: You may want to try reentering the Stage Builder a few times. SD cards deprecate over time, so the Wii might just be having trouble reading it.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 10, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cute thing: In turbo mode, Ike's Aether basically just becomes a vertical projectile

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Anybody else getting a problem with the Peach's Castle (Melee) music used in the Peach's Castle (Melee) stage? (In the Sound Test, it's actually Mario Kart>Mario Circuit, since that stage replaced the Mario Kart stage.) After 40 seconds, the song explodes into horrific white noise, goes silent, and then starts back up where the song loops before exploding again. Bad download/transfer to SD on my end, or does it happen to anyone else? (Project M's facebook's link to a Mibbit IRC chat intended for bugreports isn't loading for me, otherwise I'd've gone there first for validation)

...Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Kirby's Mewtwo-Copy Ability being Hypnosis instead of Shadow Ball, but I'll get used to it anyway- he's going right back into my mains.
Mewtwo is fun as hell--I don't remember this being in Melee, but he has his game boy Pokemon game taunt sound during his entrance animation, and that just makes me giddy.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
Hahaha Samus owns a lot now. Especially USmash which is absolutely brutal with either ice or plasma.

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I figured out how to do this. If you quickly tap side-taunt (the same way you would when trying to activate the easter eggs on Shadow Moses Island or the Star Fox stages) you'll do the Navi taunt instead of the Melee one.

Awesome. You're awesome. And I learned about 2 new Easter eggs I didn't know about in the process. Thank you!

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

e: about the Pichu thing, there's no actual statement about it but they've said that, in their final big update, they want to fill the remaining available character slots (I think that's 3 more?). So hey, he might get in!

This might be a joke since it' just the Melee portrait, but they were obviously rushing to release and oversights happen. This happened previously with Dr. Mario and Party Hard Pikachu portraits. Honestly I think we have too many Pokemon and anything good about Pichu could be applied to Pikachu.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oh my gosh, this looks so dope. I need to re-set up my Wii

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Countblanc posted:

- Glad to see the Pit buffs
- Even more glad to see the Ivysaur nerfs. Holy moly that character.

I expect to see these two opinions in tandem frequently. I main Pit and Ivysaur was the most frustrating character to play against in the entire lineup of 2.6

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Samus with the ice beam is really rad, I've never played as Samus in any Smash game before, but having just played Super Metroid for the first time a few months ago I was more interested in doing so, and it did not disappoint. Regular fire arm is still kinda lame though.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I'm really curious to see the outcome of the first Turbo 'tournament'. PMBR said they don't condone it cause it obviously isn't remotely balanced, but people will run them anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh-u_zRj4hg
God tier or rookie destroyer? Who knows? Everything is so goddamn foreign it's really interesting to see it in its early stages.

Twisted Eye posted:

Anybody else getting a problem with the Peach's Castle (Melee) music used in the Peach's Castle (Melee) stage? (In the Sound Test, it's actually Mario Kart>Mario Circuit, since that stage replaced the Mario Kart stage.) After 40 seconds, the song explodes into horrific white noise, goes silent, and then starts back up where the song loops before exploding again. Bad download/transfer to SD on my end, or does it happen to anyone else? (Project M's facebook's link to a Mibbit IRC chat intended for bugreports isn't loading for me, otherwise I'd've gone there first for validation)
This is a frequent problem with custom music. The easiest solution is to reformat the SD card and try again. It tends to happen if you overwrite .brstm files instead of copying them over fresh, if you're running out of space on the card, or if you just have a bad SD card.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 10, 2013

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

This is a frequent problem with custom music. The easiest solution is to reformat the SD card and try again. It tends to happen if you overwrite .brstm files instead of copying them over fresh, if you're running out of space on the card, or if you just have a bad SD card.
Sounds likely to be the latter, thanks! I'll give the reformat a shot.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
This game is mega dope and just highlights how much different Melee was from Brawl (and more fun). Roy handles like a dream while Mewtoo is still just as awkward as I remember. The coms seem to be a lot beefier too and are also fun to battle. I want to play with goons online ASAP so I guess I'll start us off.

My friend code is 1078-3783-7558 and I'll be on tonight and all day tomorrow if anyone's trying to get in some quick matches before it gets too late. Come collect these free wins. :black101:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's tough getting used to Melee's airdash system, but man is it great that they've made some of the weirder/heavier characters far less useless. One of my biggest issues with Brawl was that almost half the cast just felt really weak.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Sounds like we're getting a bugfix patch in the next couple of days. Among the expected freezes and physics glitches, wifi battles just don't ever show percents. So have fun guessing when you might die.

There's also a new loader in the pipes that will replace the Gecko screen. I can't get into specifics but it's supposed to make the whole loading process much more convenient.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The server's getting slammed still, my download speed continues to drop.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The server's getting slammed still, my download speed continues to drop.
Use the official offsite mirror.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/r4nca2sv6fcqx/3.0%20Mirror%20%5BOff-Site%5D

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

F. Lobot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh-u_zRj4hg
God tier or rookie destroyer? Who knows? Everything is so goddamn foreign it's really interesting to see it in its early stages.

Turbo mode looks both hilarious and infuriating. I'm wondering what kind of combo videos will show up. I'm hoping there's a knee to knee to knee (+(n)knee...) to death falcon video some day.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MadBimber posted:

Turbo mode looks both hilarious and infuriating. I'm wondering what kind of combo videos will show up. I'm hoping there's a knee to knee to knee (+(n)knee...) to death falcon video some day.

The team themselves have put up a multitude of combo videos on Youtube - here's Falcon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_c1-JIGFGA

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I was looking through those earlier, there is some pretty good stuff in the Ganondorf video. It reminds me a bit of playing 64, where if you get hit or grabbed it might well mean the end of your life (though in 64 it was due to hit stun, rather than rapid attack speed here).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

...This looks amazing. Especially now that you can do it without hacking your Wii, you just plop in an SD card?! Crazy.

I dunno if I can convince all my friends to jump back into Brawl though, even if it's completely different.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It wouldn't work so I formatted my SD card. Recognized it this time, but it just hard-locks my Wii. :shrug:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
On the homebrew version, I kept getting freezes on a 1 GB card when starting a match. Switching to a 2 GB card fixed it completely for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

TaurusOxford posted:

The team themselves have put up a multitude of combo videos on Youtube - here's Falcon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_c1-JIGFGA

jesus christ :stare:

• Locked thread