Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I'm kind of in awe that they got this working at all, and that was before i saw the skins. Is there anywhere they talk about the development of this to because the nerd in me is fascinated.

I'm used to most mods to be incredibly janky and unpolished, and that's on the PC, so it blows my mind they managed this on a closed console.

The skins are possible because an oddity with how the alternate palettes are stored in Smash Bros. Each color is basically a separate model internally. This is possibly because of Wario's overalls costume and the Pokemon hats, but Brawl is really an inefficiently coded game. But in a good way, for hacking's sake.

Can anyone explain how to get Mewtwo's hover to work? I can get it to work holding down the Y button but not with jumping with the analog :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

nerdbot posted:

The skins are possible because an oddity with how the alternate palettes are stored in Smash Bros. Each color is basically a separate model internally. This is possibly because of Wario's overalls costume and the Pokemon hats, but Brawl is really an inefficiently coded game. But in a good way, for hacking's sake.

Can anyone explain how to get Mewtwo's hover to work? I can get it to work holding down the Y button but not with jumping with the analog :\

As far as I can tell, hovering replaces your second jump, so if you jump with the stick, I guess you need to keep Up held until you start floating? Pressing another jump button after the initial jump will most likely activate the second jump, cancelling the hover ability.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Twisted Eye posted:

Anybody else getting a problem with the Peach's Castle (Melee) music used in the Peach's Castle (Melee) stage? (In the Sound Test, it's actually Mario Kart>Mario Circuit, since that stage replaced the Mario Kart stage.) After 40 seconds, the song explodes into horrific white noise, goes silent, and then starts back up where the song loops before exploding again. Bad download/transfer to SD on my end, or does it happen to anyone else? (Project M's facebook's link to a Mibbit IRC chat intended for bugreports isn't loading for me, otherwise I'd've gone there first for validation)

If this hasn't been answered yet, when this happened to me several months ago on Kirby's Dreamland, I found for others it's happened to, hilariously it's fixed simply by defragmenting the sd card in question. Usually that should fix those sorts of problems.

Edit - So it has. Defragmenting worked for me though when it happened.

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 10, 2013

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I like the new version overall, Ivysaur's stupid leaf finally isn't a gamebreaker. Some guy wrecked me in a tournament with it and I've been mad ever since.

I've missed Roy's counter, but it doesn't come out instantly like it did in Melee. (well,as instantly as anything came out in Melee) Doesn't stop it from being the best surprise.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
It's almost criminal how good Samus is in Project M :allears:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FZeroRacer posted:

It's almost criminal how good Samus is in Project M :allears:

Considering her past records, it's about goddamn time Samus was good in a Smash game. Using her in Brawl was just painful.

Edit: \/\/\/ - Tempting, but I forget who drew this avatar for me now, and Nintendo continues to make the current one justified. :v:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 10, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You should redo your avatar to do a thumbs-up and say Thank you Project M.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress this is intimidating after looking into it for a while. Some of my friends used to play Melee at tournament level (I did too), and when Brawl came out we got pretty into it but not as a competitive game. I've just been looking at videos and stuff and this is relearning every single character again, it's as if you're playing an entirely new game. Really exciting but also daunting.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I tried a little bit last night, and yeah, I found it really difficult to keep track of all the changes and nuances and secret abilities. Quite fun, though, and it gives me a reason to replay Brawl on a new save some. (For those who are curious, maybe it's obvious, but hackless works just fine in Wii U's Wii mode.) I'll see if I can get my friend to download it so we can play Wi-Fi some.

Really like what they've done with Roy. When he was first revealed I was like "why? Did anyone really miss him?" but he owns bones now and is suitably different from Marth to justify his existence.

Also, interesting factoid... At the very least, Mewtwo has a final smash. I was really surprised when I grabbed the smash ball and hit B just to prevent the CPU from doing so, but then it actually worked! Largely a copy of Lucario's but still! I thought they weren't doing anything with final smashes so it was a nice surprise.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Wild Knight posted:

Also, interesting factoid... At the very least, Mewtwo has a final smash. I was really surprised when I grabbed the smash ball and hit B just to prevent the CPU from doing so, but then it actually worked! Largely a copy of Lucario's but still! I thought they weren't doing anything with final smashes so it was a nice surprise.

They've said they're giving every character a final smash. Does this even need to be spoilered? The Pokemon Trainer pokemon don't have them, yet, but Roy has one. It's basically Marth's with more style, and slower.

Anyways of all the new and improved characters, it's like I'm playing Melee and I beat 20 wireframes in Cruel Melee :allears:. Kirby, Samus, Roy, Sonic and Mewtwo are all extremely satisfying to play as. Ice Beam best beam.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Xad posted:

They've said they're giving every character a final smash. Does this even need to be spoilered? The Pokemon Trainer pokemon don't have them, yet, but Roy has one. It's basically Marth's with more style, and slower.

Anyways of all the new and improved characters, it's like I'm playing Melee and I beat 20 wireframes in Cruel Melee :allears:. Kirby, Samus, Roy, Sonic and Mewtwo are all extremely satisfying to play as. Ice Beam best beam.

It probably doesn't need to be spoiled, but just in case anyone wanted to discover that for themselves, you know? Roy's is interesting, though.

I've always been an Ike player (BIG SURPRISE, AVATAR AND ALL) so I love, love, love how much he's been improved in this, it's insane. He actually feels a little like the speedy sonuvabitch he was in his original game!

...Anyway, question about replacing the music? Do you have to replace a song that's already in the game, or can you just throw it in the mod's music folder? If it is replacing, what's the exact process for that?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm curious about if they are going to add any more characters in later versions, (Waluigi), or if there will be Project M versions of unofficial characters (like Waluigi).

I know Project M is worried about balance, and adding new characters takes a lot of effort, but having a lot of characters not available in the main game is one of the best draws for me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

It probably doesn't need to be spoiled, but just in case anyone wanted to discover that for themselves, you know? Roy's is interesting, though.

I've always been an Ike player (BIG SURPRISE, AVATAR AND ALL) so I love, love, love how much he's been improved in this, it's insane. He actually feels a little like the speedy sonuvabitch he was in his original game!

...Anyway, question about replacing the music? Do you have to replace a song that's already in the game, or can you just throw it in the mod's music folder? If it is replacing, what's the exact process for that?

You'd have to replace a song in the game. How it works, is you either make a BRSTM file out of an MP3 or a WAV or whatever format the song you want to convert is (there are guides for this, I don't know it off the top of my head), or you download one from a place that hosts BRSTMs (I don't know if it's :files: to post the link to the place because you are downloading music...). Then you rename the BRSTM you downloaded to match the name of one of Brawl's songs, like X01 for what I think is Final Destination, drag it into the mod's music folder, and then load the mod. You can find a list of what song corresponds to what filename online. If you want the game to display the name of the song, like if you replaced Fire Emblem (Melee) with Id ~Purpose~, you'd have to edit another file that stores what the song names are.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Constable Lemon posted:

I'm curious about if they are going to add any more characters in later versions, (Waluigi), or if there will be Project M versions of unofficial characters (like Waluigi).

I know Project M is worried about balance, and adding new characters takes a lot of effort, but having a lot of characters not available in the main game is one of the best draws for me.

They've stated that to avoid the wrath of Nintendo, Project M will never add characters not already playable in the franchise pre-Smash 4. That means no Megaman/Villager/Wii Fit Trainer (Smash 4), no Waluigi or Little Mac (assist trophies), no Goku or Sephiroth (see other mods for this kind of thing). The only characters left that could be added that were removed from Brawl are Dr. Mario (who has been wrapped into regular Mario), Young Link (wrapped into Toon Link) and Pichu.

Millions fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 10, 2013

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Actually I believe they said characters who haven't appeared in the franchise pre-Smash 4, not just playable characters.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Gotcha, thanks, especially for being much more direct about it than pretty much every other guide I tried to look at. (And how did you know what song I wanted to replace Fire Emblem (Melee) with? Seriously.) Replacing the song name is less important, but it'd still be cool to have them properly titled. Ah well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Gotcha, thanks, especially for being much more direct about it than pretty much every other guide I tried to look at. (And how did you know what song I wanted to replace Fire Emblem (Melee) with? Seriously.) Replacing the song name is less important, but it'd still be cool to have them properly titled. Ah well.

I am just the best at picking examples. :smug:

In all seriousness, Id ~Purpose~ just kinda started playing on my phone and I picked the first song I thought of on the Fire Emblem stage. :v:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

:negative:

Someone please explain to me/show me a video of how you are supposed to recover on the stage with Toon Link in Project M... I get killed from attacks that normally would be recoverable by most characters... and I seem to be doing Bomb Jumps wrong cause they never work and he misses the bomb with his Up-B

:smith:

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I have a couple questions that I think I know the answer to, but I figure it doesn't hurt to check. Does this work alright on Wii U, and does it automatically unlock everyone if you don't have them already? I ask because I transferred my Brawl data over when I got a Wii U, so my Wii save is empty.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wind God Sety posted:

I have a couple questions that I think I know the answer to, but I figure it doesn't hurt to check. Does this work alright on Wii U, and does it automatically unlock everyone if you don't have them already? I ask because I transferred my Brawl data over when I got a Wii U, so my Wii save is empty.

I think so, and yes. Some weird things might happen though, like you might have to battle Ness after 5 multiplayer battles on a fresh file to unlock him even though you have him available since that's how Brawl just works, but it should be fine. AI's been reworked quite a bit (I've seen it wavedash and dash dance!) so these unlock fights might be a bit harder than you'd expect.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Wind God Sety posted:

I've been playing on Wii U and the only problems I've had are that the classic controller may stop working and need to be unplugged and plugged back in sometimes. It's also kind of uncomfortable. I started using a gamecube controller recently with an adapter and haven't had any issues with that.

Adapter in questions.
http://www.amazon.com/MayFlash-Wii-Adapter-Controller-Brand/dp/B00BS520SG

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Link's recovery is still rear end but being able to have the Hero of Time, Hero of Winds, and TP Link duke it out is pretty neat.

I could not figure out how to change Samus' beams. I taunted but all it did was change the element of her basic attacks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chaltab posted:

Link's recovery is still rear end but being able to have the Hero of Time, Hero of Winds, and TP Link duke it out is pretty neat.

You're crazy, Link's recovery is nuts with bomb jumping. Not Jigglypuff-good, but still.

Speaking of recovery, DK's new vertical movement on his up-B makes him a lot more playable.

quote:

I could not figure out how to change Samus' beams. I taunted but all it did was change the element of her basic attacks.

That's all it does, changing beams modifies her Smash attacks and her forward-air.

e: to be less of a rude fucker, here's a video showing his bomb jump in project: M (a bit different than in Melee). And yes the person who made this apparently can't type.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 10, 2013

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

That's all it does, changing beams modifies her Smash attacks and her forward-air.

Don't forget ice missiles. (and down-tilt)

When they said extensive CPU improvements they weren't kidding. They're even good in Turbo Mode!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So apparently if you're playing Dry Bowser and do your Final Smash you'll transform into a Giga Dry Bowser:

They really thought of everything, god drat this is impressive. Apparently you can hold R when going into a match and you'll play as Giga Dry Bowser as well.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I downloaded it to see what the fuss is about, and I can't get it to work. I'm using the hackless non-wifi version on my Wii U, and when the Project M splash screen loads up, my Wiimote disconnects and I can't select anything. I've tried connecting all of my Wii stuff with the exception of my GC controllers for obvious reasons. Help?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I'm trying to do character and stage reskins now. I've already got FE9 Lord Ike and Smash4 Marth in and now I'm trying to figure out how to get this really cool looking snowy Hyrule Castle 64. It's weird, looking at the components of the mod by myself has taught me way more about this stuff than any guide on the internet.

Artix posted:

So I downloaded it to see what the fuss is about, and I can't get it to work. I'm using the hackless non-wifi version on my Wii U, and when the Project M splash screen loads up, my Wiimote disconnects and I can't select anything. I've tried connecting all of my Wii stuff with the exception of my GC controllers for obvious reasons. Help?

This is my exact situation, but my Wiimote stays connected fine on the Gecko screen. Maybe change out the batteries, or do a re-pairing on the main Wii U menu?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Artix posted:

What happens if you try and pair up the Wiimote once the game launches?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sire Oblivion posted:

What happens if you try and pair up the Wiimote once the game launches?

Nothing. They won't resync once the splash screen comes up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Even once the game loads?

edit: I didn't have time to play tomorrow, but what are the other skins did they create for 3.0? It looks like they really went all out with them.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Artix posted:

This is an issue specifically with the Gecko loader (the screen you're stuck on), which the PM team didn't develop, and the only solution is to use a different Wiimote or Gamecube controller. In a few days there will be an update that replaces the Gecko loader with something much better, and you won't have Wii Motion Plus troubles anymore.

Playable Giga-Bowser... wow. Now that I didn't see coming. His final smash (shrinking and then turning into Giga-Bowser) is pretty funny too.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 11, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The Hackless Full version from the website doesn't seem to work. I tried the installer but it failed to download anything both times. Maybe it's the weird projectm folder that's supposed to be in the root? That wasn't in previous versions.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Raserys posted:

The Hackless Full version from the website doesn't seem to work. I tried the installer but it failed to download anything both times. Maybe it's the weird projectm folder that's supposed to be in the root? That wasn't in previous versions.

Did you delete the old Project M files? By that, I mean the stuff that used to go in the private folder.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Yep, wiped my whole SD Card and haven't touched anything. Here's what it looks like:

E:NVM, got it!

Raserys fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 11, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there a list of all of the music title names? I want to replace some but I have no clue what to name the new tracks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is there a list of all of the music title names? I want to replace some but I have no clue what to name the new tracks.

Here it is. I suggest you keep a record of what songs you replace just in case.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just wanted to mention, excellent OP.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

http://kittycorp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=musechs&action=print&thread=368 This has all the Brawl music filenames. So if you wanted a song to go over Ricco Harbor, you'd name it A14.brstm.

Other good stuff for music:

http://www.lakora.us/brawl/songmanager/ This handy utility lets you preview your songs to make sure they sound okay and loop properly (if you're looping your songs). You can also edit the song names so they show up in battles with the proper titl. (this won't change them in the Sound Test listings though, you'd have to go into pfmenu2/mu_menumain with Brawl Box to do that but that might be a bit complicated to some)

http://www.lakora.us/brawl/brstm/ This is a Brawl music converter, in case there's something you want that isn't on Brawl Custom Music.

EDIT:

Zelder posted:

Actually I believe they said characters who haven't appeared in the franchise pre-Smash 4, not just playable characters.

Also yeah, this is correct. Characters who are like, trophies and stuff should be okay. There was a leak of some stolen code from Project M to add Roy, Mewtwo and Knuckles to the game, which possibly suggests Knuckles as an addition--it fits their intentions with characters. But that could also just be some bullshit the guy who stole that code added. Who knows!

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 11, 2013

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Does Project M replace any of the existing Brawl music, though? That's what I was curious about, I wasn't sure what songs were already overwritten by something or what ones would be 'safe' to change for the new levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Does Project M replace any of the existing Brawl music, though? That's what I was curious about, I wasn't sure what songs were already overwritten by something or what ones would be 'safe' to change for the new levels.

A few songs are overwritten, although that's mostly just so the throwback stages they replace have their original songs (Saffron City has the N64 Pokemon theme, Dreamland has the N64 Gourmet Race song, etc.). Notably, they didn't replace any of the Luigi's Mansion songs to accommodate the Castlevania stage that replaced it, weirdly enough. You can find a Castlevania BRSTM easily enough, at least. In the "project m/pf/sound/strm" directory, you'll find all of the songs replaced and their changelog of what songs they overwrote and with what.

• Locked thread