Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

James Woods posted:

And then there's this loving thing.

Thank you for sharing all this with us. All I have to say about GM's bullshit with the Corvette is "loving typical".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Mad Dragon posted:

Working at a BMW dealership pretty much destroyed any desire to work on cars for a living. If there was a shop like yours nearby, I'd reconsider.

Right around the time I joined SA I was deciding what direction to take my career, and someone had the foresight to remind me that whatever hobby/interest I chose as a career would ruin it for me. I ended up choosing to work in tech, and the only hardware I'm familiar with anymore is enterprise stuff. I had to look at Consumer's and some SH/SC threads to figure out what type of laptop I should get for my wife.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Check your PMs James Woods!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Yep you gotta press the FAHV HUNNERT HARSPOWER button to get it to move the way it should. Unless there was some big fuel savings or something by doing that I can't fathom why they had that as a feature.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It kind of makes sense if you have a manual, because with the sharper throttle map on the M3/M5/M6 you don't need much pedal for a solid blip and it does help heel & toe. It's also a useful feature if you're pushing the car hard and don't want to mash the gas flat for full throttle response while dancing on the pedals. But labeling it the POWERRR button seems gimmicky especially when it does have its uses, and sport plus throttle is really annoying in normal driving.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Yes OP is still alive, he's just been extremely busy. I will likely be sharing some shop space with him on a new project in a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Are you back in the states? I've lost track of a lot of old AI regulars.

What do you think of the new M3/M4?

Yeah I moved home early last year. A good number of AI folks have moved to the bay area over the past few years. I've been spending my time making the Virginia City Hillclimb event work better, namely by creating a website and setting up electronic registration.

The new M car is very fast, but it lacks the entertainment value of the NA cars that preceded it, and the exhaust note is downright awful. The EPS feels weird and the car seems immensely complex, I might wait for an M2 or an LCI before I consider adding to the collection, if at all.

• Locked thread