Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is the best thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

This makes me sad. And twitchy. You're a brave man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

This thread is the best AI Christmas present ever.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Another beautiful update, but it leaves me wondering --

Your shop is like a magical place to most of us here. Yet you found a place with rainbow-horned unicorns and Konigsegggggs... Is there another step for the people who work at that shop, or are they stuck with dreams of some Middle Eastern sultan's horde as the only next-step in the pecking order?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

This thread is the best AI Christmas present ever.

Apparently Christmas is over. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mgant posted:

My favorite model is the "Trevita" which there were only 3 made (Tre Vita = Three white). Fun fact is that when they made the Trevita model my friend told me that the painters had to work like a gazillion hours overtime and apparently they hated it since it was soooo much loving work to paint it with that special diamondweave stuff they got going.

No wonder it took forever, look at this loving picture:

I can only imagine the time needed to properly orient a woven skin to Koeniggseggggg's level of quality. :cry:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

VikingSkull posted:

Yep, I was misremembering them, went back and looked at a 2012 Z06 similar to what we had at the auction, and they are drilled.

My bad!

Note that just because they are holes, doesn't necessarily mean that they are drilled. The high-end rotors are cast in place and chamfered to relieve stress and minimize cracking. I know that you can look and see on dad's E90 M3 the casting marks on the inside of the holes and I saw a story a while back about the ridiculous casting procedure Porsche goes through with their carbon rotors.

DrPain posted:

Don't the cross drilled holes reduce the surface area of the rotor, making it less effective at stopping the vehicle? I've never understood it either.

I don't think surface area is the primary issue with performance braking, it's more heat dissipation. (There's enough braking energy to lock up the wheels even with smaller rotors on most cars, once or twice... but after 30 minutes, you're talking an entirely different set of parameters.)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I vote we all start building Koenigseggs and Bentleys out of discarded shop supplies around a crudely constructed eighth mile track built out of rocks and dead tires in the hopes that one day James Woods returns

James Woods will return just before Christmas. That is when he came to us. He is the AI Santa Claus.

• Locked thread