Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FreudianSlippers posted:

King James bible is a pretty decent translation but that's about it. I think them replacing God's actual name with LORD is a bit silly also. What sort of lame god doesn't have a name?
God does have a name in the OT, and it's YHWH, and you never, ever pronounce it if you're reading Hebrew. ("Jehovah" comes from people misunderstanding how the Hebrew is to be read; the Hebrew sometimes has "Adonai" written over YHWH to remind you what you're supposed to be saying instead.) Whenever the KJV says "LORD" they're translating YHWH, as opposed to just "God" which isn't the sacred unpronounceable name.

And the KJV isn't a decent translation by modern standards. There have been 400 years of learning how to interpret and compare manuscripts since then, some major manuscripts added to the Greek sources Erasmus and then the KJV translators worked with, and 400 years of drift in the English language. KJF *is* textually and literarily important, but if you want to know what the best surviving texts actually should be interpreted as, get a modern translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Which would you recommend?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The NIV is basically your baseline modern translation. It might not be the best or most accurate, but it's the one everybody uses. Comprehensible plain English, but not exactly poetic; some of the Psalms get pretty mangled, and it just throws its hands up in the air when it comes to translating Proverbs, but for more event-based books, it's very readable. The KJV still gets use because it reads like you expect scripture to read.

A lot of people like The Message, but it's very expressly a paraphrase, and often an awkward one.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The translation you want to pick varies on what you need it for. The NIV is a translation by committee, and feels like it (not in a good way like the Septuagint, either), but it is probably the most modern with the widest readership, at least among Protestants. The NASB (New American Standard Bible), originally from the 1960s, is well-regarded for study, since it's a quite literal version, but it's not terribly readable. There is the 'New King James Version' that's pretty popular with those who are looking for modernized English but still like the KJV. The English Standard Version is somewhat less popular than the NIV, but I think it's a bit more consistent (it's based on the Revised Standard Version of the mid-20th Century). Other ones that might be useful are the New Living Translation (a fairly interpretative translation) and the Amplified Bible (which is like having extensive translator's notes ).

You can see the vast array of just about all the English versions for a particular verse at the Bible Gateway.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kangra posted:

The translation you want to pick varies on what you need it for. The NIV is a translation by committee, and feels like it (not in a good way like the Septuagint, either), but it is probably the most modern with the widest readership, at least among Protestants. The NASB (New American Standard Bible), originally from the 1960s, is well-regarded for study, since it's a quite literal version, but it's not terribly readable. There is the 'New King James Version' that's pretty popular with those who are looking for modernized English but still like the KJV. The English Standard Version is somewhat less popular than the NIV, but I think it's a bit more consistent (it's based on the Revised Standard Version of the mid-20th Century). Other ones that might be useful are the New Living Translation (a fairly interpretative translation) and the Amplified Bible (which is like having extensive translator's notes ).

You can see the vast array of just about all the English versions for a particular verse at the Bible Gateway.

English Standard is the Oxford Study Bible, right? I'm no expert but when my wife was in grad school that seemed like the go to for Religious Studies departments.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Apparently the Revised English (REB?) is not the same, but it looks like it's considered a fairly readable translation. While this way lies a whole line of endless translation chat and should probably be dropped, I'd also like to throw in a link to http://blueletterbible.org for study guides. They don't have as many translations as Bible Gateway, but I prefer the interface and the quicker access to the 'original' [Masoretic Text for the Hebrew parts, Textus Receptus for the Greek] with a word-by-word concordance.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Samuel Clemens posted:

Based on your description, you might enjoy Roland Joffé's The Mission, in which a group of Jesuits try to establish a mission in the jungles of Paraguay, but come into conflict with official Church politics. Other interesting films with members of the Catholic clergy as main characters are The Club about a group of priests whom the Church hides from the outside world due to their sins, The Flowers of St. Francis about the challenges faced by Francis of Assisi and his religious order, and Monsieur Vincent, the biography of the priest Vincent de Paul, who dedicated himself to serving the poor.

Also, the Vatican compiled an official list of 45 great films in 1995, which isn't a bad place to start if you're interested in Christian cinema.

The Mission was okay.

I had tried to watch it several times in the past, but didn't have the patience to do it.

Robert De Niro's performance, while satisfying, was nowhere near his best.

Certain parts I really did not like, especially the jovial score while the natives and colonists were cutting each other down.

Jeremy Irons never impressed me in any movie he was in.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ObamaPhone posted:

Have you seen Dead Ringers? That's his tour de force.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ObamaPhone posted:

I had tried to watch it several times in the past, but didn't have the patience to do it.

It's definitely a slow burn, especially the first half. If you ever get the chance, I'd strongly recommend seeing the film in an actual theatre; the landscape shots look gorgeous on a big screen.

ObamaPhone posted:

Certain parts I really did not like, especially the jovial score while the natives and colonists were cutting each other down.

I don't know if I'd call Morricone's score jovial. Uplifting, certainly, but that's rather fitting given the film's themes.

ObamaPhone posted:

He gives a wonderful (if very off-beat) performance in Soderbergh's Kafka.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Wizchine posted:

I've seen Dead Ringers and Lolita off the top of my head.

Both I didn't like, especially Lolita.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Wizchine posted:

How about Reversal of Fortune? He won the Oscar for that.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ChickenMedium posted:

How about Reversal of Fortune? He won the Oscar for that.

In his Academy Awards acceptance speech for Reversal of Fortune, he pauses near the end and says, “Thank you also, and some of you may understand why…thank you David Cronenberg.”

There was widespread feeling at the time that he really deserved the Oscar for Dead Ringers, and was rewarded later instead for Reversal of Fortune - a more mainstream film.

Edit: I'm not saying he didn't deserve one for Reversal of Fortune, but he did a fantastic job in Dead Ringers.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
When's that Jesusy Columbine again? Next week?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This seems to be the best thread for this movie as while it isn't a Christian Movie per se, it has heavy themes of forgiveness and damnation, and frustration with God in the eyes of hardship. The movie is Horns with Daniel Radcliffe which I enjoyed despite it's flaws. I thought it has interesting aspects, like Radcliffes relationship with God as it was complex. God wasn't just punishing him for being angry at Him taking his GF away and him being blamed for her death, he also was compassionate enough to give him the tools he needed (via the secondary power of being a human confessional) to figure out what actually happened. Hell, even after Daniel gives in to the curse at the end, God still allows him time with his late girlfriend because he had strong reasons for raging against the heavens . God's like "look, I get where your coming from, but your behaviour was not acceptable." It does a good job of making the deity inscrutable - you never see him, just feel his presence in aspects of the curse.

I also thought some scenes were pretty cool and funny, like in the barn when he's fleeing the snakes that he's just noticed are following him and tries to fend them off with a pitchfork - at which point the irony of the situation hits him - he is adorned with large horns while weilding a pitchfork. At that point he decides to make structured use of his abilities as the second act begins, and gently lowers the pitchfork to allow a snake to slither up and onto his shoulders, completing the image. Also the scene with his brother I thought, was pretty strong, when he find out that his brother actually witnessed who murdered her and was too scared to say anything so let Radcliffe take the fall. At that point he has started punishing all the people who could have done something but didn't, and he starts to lose what's left of himself. He doesn't want to harm his brother, but the idiot screwed him badly and in his POV forced his hand, as at this point Radcliffe has pretty much gone full Old Testament on the village. Notably his brother does survive his punishment although barely

I also liked the moment with his girlfriends father, where after a whole movie of people failing to repress their urges around him, he find himself face to face with the grieving father with a shotgun, who of course threatens him when he visits for closure. The father of course threatens to shoot, but Radcliffes juts like "If you were going to kill me you already would have. Lately I've been bringing out the worst in people."

It's not the best but I enjoyed watching it despite it's flaws, because some of the black comedy actually works well even if a lot of the jokes fall flat.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Christian movies are known to have bad trailers but holy poo poo this one is bad

An Anti Abortion rom com

What's A Girl To Do trailer

quote:

Although the plot of the movie is unclear, it apparently deals with a romance Porter had with the son of a pro-choice state legislator before meeting her husband. Porter discusses that romance in her 2004 dating book “What’s a Girl To Do? While Waiting for Mr. Right,” and revealed in a WorldNetDaily column in 2008 that writing a screenplay based on that book eventually led her to her true “Mr. Right,” David Porter.

Lots of cameos!

quote:

feature cameos from former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Rep. Steve King of Iowa, and will include performances by Victoria Jackson as Porter’s best friend and Stephen Baldwin as her future husband, David Porter.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Man oh man to be at a Baldwin thanksgiving....

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Holy poo poo. My only knowledge of Victoria Jackson was from RedLetterMedia's references, and I had just assumed she was a recurring SNL sketch, I didn't realize she's an actual person.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

DStecks posted:

Holy poo poo. My only knowledge of Victoria Jackson was from RedLetterMedia's references, and I had just assumed she was a recurring SNL sketch, I didn't realize she's an actual person.

She was Weird Al's love interest in UHF. I was shocked to find out she is literally a crazy person.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ensign_Ricky posted:

She was Weird Al's love interest in UHF. I was shocked to find out she is literally a crazy person.
And a proud bigot.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/18/victoria-jackson-conservative-values/6585043/

quote:

"He's afraid of me?!" she wrote in her web post, which included statistics claiming large numbers of terror attacks committed in the name of Islam and none by other religions. "According to these statistics, I should be afraid of him!"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Her entire career for this decade has been defined entirely by the cognitive dissonance of conservatives hating Hollywood while simultaneously glorifying and promoting anybody and everybody in Hollywood who agrees with them regardless of how old, out-of-touch, and crazy they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hFmxFMWrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF_JdL0iIQw

The fact that her single contribution to pop culture was being a stupid ditz on SNL seems to be completely lost on her and the Fox News crowd, however.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 25, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Hey, 9/11 broke a lot of people her age. Look at Hitchens.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And Dennis Miller. He was probably the secondary casualty that hit me the hardest.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
RIP Bill Maher

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Maher and Hitchens were always douchebags

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DStecks posted:

And Dennis Miller too. It's like being surprised that Adam Carolla turned out to be a poo poo for brains.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

It took a while for me to remember: but Sam Harris. He's the guy who loves to dismiss anything involving religion and spirituality in really degrading terms, "spooky" is one that comes to mind but he's got a like, black-belt in using it to make someone sound stupid s gently caress in the moment.

But basically anybody who will go on Joe Rogan's podcast is a great example of shithead atheists

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Based on your description, you might enjoy Roland Joffé's The Mission, in which a group of Jesuits try to establish a mission in the jungles of Paraguay, but come into conflict with official Church politics. Other interesting films with members of the Catholic clergy as main characters are The Club about a group of priests whom the Church hides from the outside world due to their sins, The Flowers of St. Francis about the challenges faced by Francis of Assisi and his religious order, and Monsieur Vincent, the biography of the priest Vincent de Paul, who dedicated himself to serving the poor.

Also, the Vatican compiled an official list of 45 great films in 1995, which isn't a bad place to start if you're interested in Christian cinema.

Another film that covers concepts of faith is "Gran Turino."

Catholicism plays a major role in the film, at least in terms of themes. Central to the film is the idea of redemption and what does it mean to do the right thing? In many ways, Clint Eastwood's Walt sets us up for our modern time. He's a former soldier, he's a gun owner, he's not afraid to take action and wave his weapon around, and he's played by Clint Eastwood, famous for playing guys like Dirty Harry who had trouble accepting that he couldn't just torture suspected criminals without facing repercussions.

So how the film deals with the rape and assault of the teenage daughter of the Hmong family is massively important. Instead of going in with guns blazing, he instead sacrifices himself. A key element in the film is the priest's attempts at connecting with Walt. In the beginning of the film, the eulogy the priest gives is trite and meaningless: "Death is bittersweet to us Catholics." Walt even makes fun of him for it. But at the end of the film, the priest has connected with Walt, and when giving the eulogy, he starts off with a personal story that's a little off color: "He called me a 27-year-old over educated virgin." Once again, the idea of faith is not "god is going to tell me what to do," but rather, it's something inward that helps me make the right decision.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

jojoinnit posted:

Hey, 9/11 broke a lot of people her age. Look at Hitchens.

A lot of ex-Muslims are appreciative of Hitchens' strong criticism of Islam.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Animal-Mother posted:

What does that have to do with him being a broken husk of a human being whose passing was almost universally met with a sigh of relief by the sane and happy people of the world?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Well thank god we finally had a white English journalist come along to give his expert opinion on Islam

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Animal-Mother posted:

Oh good point, just like how I learned you're an unredeemable dick by talking exclusively to your ex girlfriends. Pretty sure I got a reasonable and unbiased perspective on that. Sorry about your bad sex having and selfish attitude.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jesus. Forgive me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Animal-Mother posted:

Jesus. Forgive me.

Do you think Hitch would be more angry at you for invoking a fictional character or asking for forgiveness?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do you think Hitch would be more angry at you for invoking a fictional character or asking for forgiveness?

I wish the movie Hitch was about PUA Will Smith teaching Hitchens how to talk to girls. It kind of was, in a way.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
PureFlix is not resting on its laurels with the smash God's Not Dead 2, as they've got a new theatrical release coming in February named after a ten-year old country song by Rascal Flatts:

God Bless the Broken Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devqBLHvyjw

*ACCLAIMED* director Harold Cronk of God's Not Dead *and* God's Not Dead 2 fame helms this sure-to-be inspiring insta-classic.

No word yet on whether or not David A.R. White will show up to play the role of David A.R. White for the 26th consecutive time.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cemetry Gator posted:

Another film that covers concepts of faith is "Gran Turino."

Catholicism plays a major role in the film, at least in terms of themes. Central to the film is the idea of redemption and what does it mean to do the right thing? In many ways, Clint Eastwood's Walt sets us up for our modern time. He's a former soldier, he's a gun owner, he's not afraid to take action and wave his weapon around, and he's played by Clint Eastwood, famous for playing guys like Dirty Harry who had trouble accepting that he couldn't just torture suspected criminals without facing repercussions.

So how the film deals with the rape and assault of the teenage daughter of the Hmong family is massively important. Instead of going in with guns blazing, he instead sacrifices himself. A key element in the film is the priest's attempts at connecting with Walt. In the beginning of the film, the eulogy the priest gives is trite and meaningless: "Death is bittersweet to us Catholics." Walt even makes fun of him for it. But at the end of the film, the priest has connected with Walt, and when giving the eulogy, he starts off with a personal story that's a little off color: "He called me a 27-year-old over educated virgin." Once again, the idea of faith is not "god is going to tell me what to do," but rather, it's something inward that helps me make the right decision.

I never read it as such when watching it. Faith was just something to pop up here and there and try to sway Walt from his old timers fail-to-adapt-to-change and be the occasional comedic relief. He just takes a shining to the Hmongs and realises that the kids he's come to love can never really be free until the gang is dealt with and he knew there was no real way one guy was going to stand up to them.
I mean to see the priest go from calm and collected to "Oh Lord Jesus, what have you done?" as soon as Walt walks in, or even his scared "Je -- zuz -- Christ." gasps out when Walt says he is at peace were just beautiful moments of comedy in a dark way

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Hey, you want a mix of both crazy religion and a bunch of "War on Christmas" bullshit starring Fred Williamson??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-h0Jm-i184

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ComposerGuy posted:

PureFlix is not resting on its laurels with the smash God's Not Dead 2, as they've got a new theatrical release coming in February named after a ten-year old country song by Rascal Flatts:

God Bless the Broken Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devqBLHvyjw

*ACCLAIMED* director Harold Cronk of God's Not Dead *and* God's Not Dead 2 fame helms this sure-to-be inspiring insta-classic.

No word yet on whether or not David A.R. White will show up to play the role of David A.R. White for the 26th consecutive time.
Is Rascall Flatts a christian group? I just thought they wrote lovely love ballads that let the lead singer with the weird-rear end nose belt out the big notes

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

coyo7e posted:

Is Rascall Flatts a christian group? I just thought they wrote lovely love ballads that let the lead singer with the weird-rear end nose belt out the big notes

Not explicitly, more in the way that like half of country bands are. They were with Lyric Street (a Disney label) for like the first decade of their career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SocketWrench posted:

I never read it as such when watching it. Faith was just something to pop up here and there and try to sway Walt from his old timers fail-to-adapt-to-change and be the occasional comedic relief. He just takes a shining to the Hmongs and realises that the kids he's come to love can never really be free until the gang is dealt with and he knew there was no real way one guy was going to stand up to them.
I mean to see the priest go from calm and collected to "Oh Lord Jesus, what have you done?" as soon as Walt walks in, or even his scared "Je -- zuz -- Christ." gasps out when Walt says he is at peace were just beautiful moments of comedy in a dark way

They're definitely comedic moments, and they're played up for laughs, but that doesn't mean it is just there to lighten the mood.

The priest plays a major enough role in the film, and it's bookended by the eulogies, that it is hard not to see it play an element in the film.

You can even trace their relationship. Walt goes from being openly antagonistic to the priest, to feeling comfortable enough with him to go to confession. He wasn't even going to mass before, and he basically did the church thing because of his wife. So to seek out confession shows that he is changing. Walt can't even tell his own son he's sick. It's quite clear that Walt isn't very emotionally intimate with many people. And the priest comes to Walt's level too, even saying that he'd love a beer.

It's not like Million Dollar Baby, which also features a priest, but ultimately, faith isn't really a core component of that film.

• Locked thread