Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Pretty much. That article also links to tomte, the Swedish word for nisse. A "hustomt" in Danish even means a house lot, but I don't know if they're cognate.

Here in Iceland there are 13 santas each with their own gimmick. One is a midget, one steals sausages, one is a peeping tom, one slams doors really hard in the middle of the night etc.. Their mother is a child eating ogress and their cat devours everyone who doesn't get any clothes for Christmas. They've been Americanized a lot in the last century losing their rags in favour of the red Santa suit and toning down the petty crime and cannibalism in favour of placing small treats or toys in shoes left in windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't the idea that the killers were outcasts who killed because they were bullied basically bullshit?
According to what I've heard neither of them was really bullied and they just wanted to top Timothy McVeigh and kill as many people as possible.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope they go all in and have entrire cites get blown up by YHWH and a character turn into a pile of salt for daring to look back.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm waiting for them to do some sort of misguided attempt at being hip and make a 90 minute movie about the time Jesus hosed around and got a triple double.

Actually, a "Day in the Life" style movie about Jesus thata didn't tread about the same old material could be good, now that I think about it. Just not in the hands of anybody associated with pureflix.

Also, for some reason those links to the pureflix spoof keep asking me to sign in, but won't actually let me even though I have a youtube/gmail account. Anybody got a different one?

Someone should make a biblical film solely about the commie parts of the bible where Jesus tells a rich man to sell all that he owns and give it to the poor because no rich person will ever enter heaven ever and drives the moneychangers out of the temple with a whip. Bonus points if the scenes of money changers are intercut with lshots of giftstores and ATMs in megachurches and televangelists raising money for private jets.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"

"Many religions already worship images" [shows footage of Muslims, the most aniconistic religion.]

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Calvary is, I think, just as much about Ireland as it is about Catholicism in general. One example is the scene where a filthy rich Irish businessman, the sort who trashed the countries economy eventually leading Ireland to be hit hard by the recession, urinates on a priceless piece of art he payed a fortune for simply because he can. I talked to a Irishman about it once and he said that it really helps to have some knowledge and experience of Irish culture and society to fully understand the film.

But of course Catholicism is pretty deeply ingrained into all of Irish culture and society. The history of Ireland, at least for the last few centuries, is a history of Catholicism.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 9, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not Christian, for sure. It's Catholic.

???????????????????

???????????

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

King James bible is a pretty decent translation but that's about it. I think them replacing God's actual name with LORD is a bit silly also. What sort of lame god doesn't have a name?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't really see why the Jews get so much flack while the Romans get off basically scot free. I mean sure the local religious authorities really put a lot of pressure on the Romans to execute Jesus but they weren't the ones to actually torture and crucify the dude. It's not like the Romans had to whip him and put a crown of thorns on him and generally torment. They could've just slit his throat and be done with it. They could also very easily have totally ignored the locals and their bullshit.

So they are possibly even more to blame.

But I suspect the early Christians downplayed the anti-Roman angle a bit since the empire was still going strong and the last thing you want when you have a little startup is to anger the most powerful empire in the world which is not afraid to kill thousands of people for pretty minor things.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

winter light(1963) by Ingmar Bergman is a really good priest film. If you dig Bergman's shtick. Bergman was the son of a minister and a lot of his films are him struggling with his faith or lack there of.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's Calvary, not Cavalry. Calvary, aka Golgotha, is the place Jesus was crucified; cavalry are mounted soldiers.

They should've gone all in and called the film "HILL OF SKULLS"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Satan being a fallen angel is basically fan fiction. Also Satan being the serpent in the garden of Eden is never explicitly stated although for centuries people have basically just assumed he is. Who and what Satan is seems to vary a bit between different parts of the bible. Sometimes it's a certain being and sometimes it's just a more general term for adversery.

But of course Lucifer's the light of the world. Hail Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

basic hitler posted:

. Im not saying Satan's secretly a good guy j

He totally is though. Hail Satan!

• Locked thread