Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I spent my summer in Utah, and one day several of us went to Temple Square in SLC. We caught a showing of the Joseph Smith biographical film. It is magical. It's like the worst B-movie with great production values. I want to own a copy of it. Apparently, there's a few different versions and scenes that the Church rotates out on a regular basis to encourage people to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
What, no wine?

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Well, the guy in The Last Exorcism is a Protestant minister. But we don't really know how successful he was.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I have a few friends in my church who legitimately hate Halloween, because they think it makes light of serious things (--> demons). But churches can easily do Halloween festivals; just look back at how the Church used to do it. The issue is that a lot of these churches are the kind of Protestant that hate just about any pre-Puritan traditions.

(It all goes back to Puritans.)

Do you guys know of any good Christian films about Advent/Christmas that aren't a retelling of the Nativity?

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
On Thursday there were a few ads for Ridley Scott's Exodus. It's also on the latest X-Men DVD, so I guess it's important. I think it's obvious that the film won't put any kind of emphasis on Jewish OR Christian theologies, but it's interesting to see more Biblical epics in AD 2014/15.

Speaking of AD, that (mini?)series is by the same folks behind The Bible, but I don't have high hopes for it. It appears to take place immediately after the resurrection, of which time there's little/nothing written.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Every month, my church's youth group does a movie night. Last night's pick was Mom's Night Out. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. The moral actually criticizes some aspects of church culture (regarding judgement of others and ourselves). It's predictable and some of the jokes are lame. It's a little awkward due to its need to conform to conservative values. There's a scene where the protagonist eats a bag of chocolate and acts drunk. Just give her a bottle. The only thing that made me truly uncomfortable was how they managed to still make the women come off worse than the men. The premise of the film is that overworked moms need a rest and yikes, the dads don't understand kids. But by the end of the movie, we see the dads parenting and ENJOYING it, with a nonparent actually being a great "dad", where the moms are judgmental harpies who have to get talked down by sensible men. It's very off-putting.

It's a good one to turn your brain off with, though.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I'm really loving this thread right now, but I keep getting caught on the use of "conservative." There's no reason there couldn't be a good theologically conservative Christian film. A politically conservative Christian film, however, would probably suck.

For example, and I can't recall if it even has Christian leanings, The Ten Commandments is conservative, and it's a very good film. Same with The Prince of Egypt. Contrast with Jesus Christ Superstar, which is theologically liberal. All are awesome.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Last night, several friends and I went to an Easter musical thing. It was very well-done, and the worst thing I can say it that it was fairly boring. During many of the performances, they showed silent clips from whatever the LDS Church's film about Jesus is called. I thought that was pretty interesting. Both the film and the musical fell into the trap of making Judas look like a creep, though. There was no portrayal of Christ in the musical, which I thought was an interesting choice. The film was used to fill in the blanks, and that Jesus wore a lot of bright white clothing.

After, we realized that most of us had spent the time wishing we were watching Jesus Christ: Superstar.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
My roommate and I are watching the Kirk Cameron Left Behind. It's not very good. The characters keep referring to "the Arabs" and "the Jews" as monolithic groups.

The pastor knocked over a four-foot cross with a single baseball. It's clearly particle board.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

And yet it's still worlds more entertaining than the new one

For sure. I was complaining to my roommate about how 3/4s of the film takes place on an airplane, and those scenes aren't engaging enough to be worth it. At least with Cameron's, there's momentum.

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 20, 2015

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I'm not sure that I mentioned it before, but my church's youth group does a monthly movie night. Last Friday, we watched John Q. I always love when we watch films that aren't explicitly Christian, and not just because they're usually better-made. It's not exactly a great movie, and it's surprisingly political in a way unexpected of an evangelical youth group, but the kids got a lot out of it. Next time we'll probably watch Dead Poet's Society, which I regrettably haven't seen. The kids are set on watching Star Wars soon, so we'll also be doing that. Do you all have any suggestions for "secular" movies with Christian themes, or even themes that would lead to good conversation about spirituality? For example, we watched Jurassic Park a few months ago and it was a huge hit. We do watch Christian movies, but good ones are harder to come by and we all know it.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'm sure some have been done already, but I'll make up a list and consult with the pastor. We always want to keep it PG-13 or under, and nudity makes things very complicated. (We watched Unbroken, which has a very brief scene in which the nude, male actors are seen from behind. Kids didn't care, but we had to say a million disclaimers.)

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
So we finally watched Dead Poets' Society last night. I think our pastor forgot that the climax of the film is a teen suicide. That film was really heavy. Contrary to what some posters said above, I think it's perfect for a conformist society. In general, we (and especially teenagers) tend to glorify individualism and free-thinking. This film shows the dangers of not exercising those freedoms responsibly.

That being said, it works as a loose retelling of the Protestant Reformation so I'm just going to start telling all the students that.

Also, thank you guys for your film recommendations. Can I get a warning if anything has content like that above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Google up the definition of white privilege, and then replace "white" with "Christian".

Why would anyone give a poo poo about someone teaching a white-oriented curriculum as it relates to some educational concept such as something to do with philosophy, history, or english?

Except you changed his wording and changed the meaning entirely.

• Locked thread