Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I think christian media also differs a bit depending on what brand of Christianity you have. Catholicism, for instance, isn't quite the same as evangelical christianity - I don't think there's such a big theme of nothing ever being bad for people who believe in the true love and light of Jebus, because Catholicism is really big on suffering (see: passion of the Christ). I was raised Catholic, but pretty liberally so - however, I did have the opportunity to see Joshua, which I thought was lame, and this sort of..animated bible stories show, called..Bible Adventures or something, which wasn't that bad all told - because things that are just basic retellings of bible stories don't tend to have nearly that whole insidious manipulative message about Good Christian Families or whatever else. Plus, when you're a kid, you just watch it going "oh, the ark! Oh yay, the garden of eden!" and you interpret it as the same sort of thing as Goldilocks, or Oliver! or whatever else. Or at least I did.

I actually had no idea that the Chronicles of Narnia had a very strong Christian message until I was a lot older. Apparently CS Lewis thought kids would be able to pick up on the true meaning of the stories - but I certainly didn't. I don't think kids tend to be that good at analysis and deeper literary themes, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Yeah, it was definitely Superbook - there was a bible that sent the kids back in time to the biblical days. I remember them having to get to grips with biblical technology, etc.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I interpret Dead Man Walking as a relatively Christian movie and it was decent enough.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone remember The Buttercream Gang? Midwestern kid goes to Chicago, comes back The Fonz, has conflict with his preteen old gang. I vaguely remember a shootout at a drug store? The Fonz goes back to Chicago a reformed man, starts a new gang there. They even made a sequel that completely ripped off The Goonies.

Edit: This was pretty light on the Jesus stuff. I haven't seen it in nearly twenty years, so I think it just came from a wholesome Christian production company.

Double Edit: Just rewatched the robbery scene. It's funnier than I remembered. He just can't comprehend good wholesome town values.

That was one of the most amazing collections of scenes I've ever seen. It was like the best combination of MST3k movie from 1962, low budget gay romance and Kids in the Hall sketch. I feel more than a little tempted to get a group of friends and watch the whole thing.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah I still want to be Guy Blod. Evil flamboyant homosexuals are awesome and should be in movies more.

You're about 40 years too late - now it's all about the evil seductive [male] bisexuals.

Also, this whole thread is making me wonder - are there any really terrible Jewish or Muslim films? Is making crap movies exclusively Christian or can all Abrahamic religions do it? What about non-abrahamic religions? (I suppose the fact that religions like Judaism and Buddhism aren't quite so focussed on conversion and "spreading the good news" means they don't have quite the same impetus to make films specifically about the benefits of evangelising or whatever else.)

McSpanky posted:

The gender-neutral language in this description is priceless, as if any male participant in this scheme would let a woman hold power over him.
haha, I'm sure many of them would - but secretly, and wouldn't tell anyone else in the CDD movement about it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blatantly Christian authors? Hmm, that's a hard one. It was obviously pretty common in Western literature to put very obvious Christian morals into the text of a novel, at least before...1960?

Which brings me to Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. Waugh was queer (Wikipedia identifies him as bi), but he converted to Catholicism in the 30s and became pretty conservative, to the extent that he was very upset by the reforms of Vatican II. As a consequence, Brideshead Revisited is about a middle-class atheist guy who starts hanging around a very flamboyant old-money gay guy, and is incredibly taken by the guy's huge country house and traditional family, which he fetishises. However, the gay guy's mother is this really overbearing Catholic who disapproves of everything her children do, and pressures her ex husband to see a priest on his deathbed, even though the ex husband is very lapsed religiously and expresses a strong lack of desire for last rites. Ignoring all this evidence of religion potentially making people narrow minded and judgmental, Middle Class Atheist suddenly converts to catholicism at the end of the book, because...yay?

Needless to say, a lot of people greatly enjoy the first half of the book, which is about Charles Ryder hanging around with Sebastian Flyte and being his sort-of-boyfriend; and like to pretend that the second half of the book never happened. I'm in agreement. To me, the latter half of the book seems like the desperate justification of a newly religious guy trying to go back into the closet. The "will he see a priest" subplot is particularly bad. It goes on for about 5 chapters. In case you're wondering - yes, the poor guy eventually *does* see a priest because Lady Marchmain just won't leave him alone about it already.

Samovar posted:

G.K. Chesterton wasn't horrible, but his Father Brown character was even more insufferable than Sherlock Holmes and that's really saying something.

Oh god, Father Brown. I've seen the TV series. It's one of the worst genteel Sunday Night Agatha Christie styled crime tv shows there is, although Father Brown's always encountering hilariously stupid crimes, like...ones involving a group of fake Ancient Egyptian cultists, so you can almost watch it just to laugh at how bad the plots are.

• Locked thread