Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
There's serious enjoyment in just watching Nicholas Cage act these days. If he has the right hair I could see us watching it…

It's basically a win-win because the Christian side will see it as spreading their message while the secular side will enjoy another dumb action movie with Nicholas Cage being insane.

I'm saying the secret to bridging the culture gap you guys were talking about a page or two ago? Nick Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I've seen loads of ads for Ben Hur but it just looked like another Gladiator retread and I've found just rewatching Gladiator tends to scratch that itch for me. I've never seen the original and had no idea there was meant to be any kind of Christian angle to it until just now. Not surprised that it bombed and honestly I'm surprised they're still greenlighting these huge historical or biblical epics. Don't they tend to lose money every time, at least for the past 15 years or so? (feels like post-Alexander they've always been failures except for Mel's Passion of course).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I see it pretty much as just being about Gibson being in the shittiest time of his life when he was being the shittiest person and had really lovely hangups about Jews especially now with everything that came out about him in the decade since. Passion plays were often precursors to pogroms. You get the people fired up about how the lovely Jews were lovely to our Lord and I kinda still can't believe he straight up revived it middle ages style like that.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Man oh man to be at a Baldwin thanksgiving....

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Hey, 9/11 broke a lot of people her age. Look at Hitchens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sorbo really carved himself a niche as "angry atheist" huh

• Locked thread