Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlzjMBkMh4

This was just.... ugh. It's incredibly dumb, and anti-science to the max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

There has been a lot of SF stories about that topic but none of them handled it as stupidly as that trailer.

Edit: The Google auto complete when I search for the film is "ending explained". And in my desperate search for what this ending is and why it has to be explained I've found out more interesting things.

Watch the trailer first because you'll want to be completely baffled when you see it:
Apparently there was another movie about cloning Jesus going wrong called Revelations and they spliced Jesus DNA with billionaire DNA. That's a set up for a punchline so easy that I won't lower myself to use it.

From what I'm reading, I don't think this is a "Christian movie"; it's more of a religion-themed thriller. However, everything I'm finding makes it sound to be hilariously awful so I'm going to try to watch it.

I felt like it was a very preachy film, but then again I also haven't watched something like "Left Behind" so my barometer of preachy Christian silliness is maybe a little under used.

Also, Bibleman is so loving hysterical. It's a little sad when you hear Willie Aames talk about how he became a born again Christian, but then you watch Bibleman and I don't feel so bad.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Slate Action posted:

This was mentioned a couple pages back but I just watched Cleanflix and :stare:

That movie is wonderful in it's heaping helping of IRONY.

Anyone seen "Hell House"? Fairly entertaining to watch a church group preparing for their Halloween event. Easily my favorite part is the argument between two of them when working on the script for the house because they can't figure out if they should refer to Magic cards (the game Magic)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar do the resurrection on stage before, at the end, when they performed Superstar. It's a pretty good compromise because for Christians you can have your resurrection, but for everyone else you get Judas basically heckling the resurrected Jesus, but he's ok cause he's resurrected. It changes the tone a lot, but it actually works really well.

Also Robocop is the best movie about the historical Jesus.

I've seen Superstar a couple of times performed live, because I love that show, and I can't remember the resurrection being involved. Granted it's been a few years, but yeah, I seem to remember it ending with the crucifixion, and then I think one version had some of the apostles recite lines from the bible about the resurrection (they opened the show the same way but more of a setting up the story way) and the other production just sorta lowered the lights and that was it.

If I remember correctly, and my memory on the history of the show is a bit hazy, but it was released as a concept album because Weber was convinced that there was no way he could get away with actually getting the show on stage, what with the suggestions of romance from Mary Magdalene, Jesus being portrayed as *Gasp* a human being, etc.

Of course it was eventually staged and became a hit.

The 1973 film version is easily my favorite version, but they did a really interesting version of it in 2012 as an arena tour where it's framed as being sort of modern with Jesus and the apostles being Occupiers. It's a hell of a lot better than the one from 2000 that's for sure. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2596918/?ref_=nv_sr_2

• Locked thread