Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder what would happen if someone made an explicitly Christian movie that wasn't low-effort garbage? Would it get shouted down by the True Believers for being too much like Secular Big Hollywood or would it potentially have an effect on the industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh. Wonder why nobody else seems to have tried that. It wouldn't even have to be big-budget, just competent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's weird, I'm usually super attuned to that kind of stuff in movies and it usually puts me off them pretty badly but I unironically love Rocky IV.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Prince of Egypt works because it takes the scriptural literalist view as a base premise and then reinterprets the story in a more interesting manner, rather than simply translating it directly to screen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
We were talking about actual good Christian media earlier, and watching Daredevil kinda got me thinking about that, because it's a TV show about a Christian warrior coming into contact with the Devil and struggling with his faith, and while he's a dirty papist and not a Protestant his methods seem like they'd be pretty appealing to the fundiesphere. Does anyone know if that show's been getting any buzz among the religious right, or have they dismissed it as dirty librul media?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

If I had to guess I'd say most people don't view it any deeper than "superhero TV show on Netflix."

It's really really blunt about it, though. Like there's 6 or 7 separate times that Matt goes to his priest and has an extended conversation tying everything back to his faith, and it gets brought up by other characters too. It's the kind of thing where if you don't notice it you're either not watching the show at all or just not paying any attention to it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 15, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Shang Tsung from the loving Mortal Kombat movie is in this as "the good Jap."

You're better than this, Shang Tsung.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Corek posted:

His character's name is Hashimoto.

Hashimoto was also the name of the captain of the Japanese submarine that sank the USS Indianapolis after it delivered...

...wait for it...

...the Little Boy bomb.

:cripes:

dude can't possibly need money that badly, the residual checks from all the poo poo he's done have to be pretty huge (seriously jesus loving christ go look at his filmography, he's basically the Asian "that guy"), does he just hate himself that much?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 23, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i actually forgot about James Hong but they're pretty loving comparable, Tagawa works marginally less

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

There was a dumb-as-poo poo history channel special about the possibility that Jesus went east to meet the Buddha as a teenager and that's why the gospels just describe his birth and his 30s. This was possibly a moonie thing as the unification life church has just purchased the history channel at that time.

There's a manga about this and it owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I saw this a while back, but if memory serves that was more of a "Forgive your enemies" kind of thing, wasn't it?

Specifically, forgive your enemies if they preach the word of Jesus.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

CAP has some weird blind spots. He loves Star Trek and Mary Poppins and would get furious with people who called them at all blasphemous. This was back when he responded to e-mail.

He also hated Star Trek the Next Generation because Riker was promiscuous.

Back when I was like 11 I emailed CAP about his Sin City review, because his abhorrence of Hartigan killing himself made no sense to me. I actually got a reasonably thoughtful reply; I kind of wish I still had that email so I could dig it up, but the general thrust of it was that in CAP's view of Christian theology, suicide is never acceptable regardless of the reasons- even if you're dying to save another, it's still a mortal sin. He was also kind of appalled that I'd seen the movie; I don't remember if I mentioned that I was a kid or if he could just tell (probably the latter).

In hindsight, I probably should have pointed out that that's basically what Christ did, but I probably wouldn't have gotten quite as nice of a reply.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 19, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

:lol: I thought this was going to be a call for Christians to support Black Lives Matter. Silly me!

That's only gonna happen outside the most hippie churches imaginable when actual pigs grow actual goddamn wings.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

How does anyone bring themselves to eat the entire footlong?

I always eat half, bring the other half home, and stick it in the fridge for another meal. 2 decent meals for $5 is a pretty good deal.

e: it especially owned when I lived walking distance from a 24-hour Subway, but it seems like the only places in the Houston suburbs that are allowed to be open 24 hours are Whataburger, Denny's and IHOP.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 7, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's Calvary, not Cavalry. Calvary, aka Golgotha, is the place Jesus was crucified; cavalry are mounted soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DStecks posted:

This isn't completely within the scope of the thread, but I just want to highlight the Trapped trilogy of Newgrounds games, which are very overtly Christian while still being relentlessly immoral.

And I don't mean in the sense that the characters in God's Not Dead are behaving immorally if you don't accept their worldview, I mean that the games are about terrible people being nasty to each other, with rampant murder and revenge. The trilogy ends with the heroine locking the villain in a safe and throwing it in the ocean, not out of self-defense, but purely as an act of cold-blooded murder. Nonetheless, in the first game, a character mentions that he isn't a christian and this is foreshadowing that he's the eventual villain.

It's just so demented, like, I can only imagine it's the kind of stuff you'd make if you were raised in a strongly Subculture Christian environment, but still really liked mainstream media and wanted to make some of your own.

Hahaha these games are loving bonkers and the Retsupurae of them is beautiful. (I'm on mobile, not sure if that's what you linked.)

• Locked thread