Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There's Christian media, and then there's "Christian media"

There are plenty of songs on the radio about Jesus, about God, about Christianity, and they're good songs with thoughtful lyrics. Chart toppers, even. These tend to talk about religion in a way non-religious people can appreciate. Then you have the artists who are only sold in Christian book stores because their songs would never make it in the arena of the music market. Lyrics in these songs tend to be more exclusionary. The vocabulary they use is church talk and anyone who isn't religious feels like an outside peering in.

There are plenty of movies and books and movies based on books about Christianity and Christ figures that are critically acclaimed; Wrath of Khan, Lord of the Rings, Superman, Alien III, etc. You even have movies that are about literal, non-metaphorical Christianity, and have some moral complexity, like The Mission. Then you have the poo poo that this thread is about.

Myself being Christian and having been asked to help out in short film competitions before, they kind of make me wince. In the real world, people will tell you that your movie sucks, and you have to make a soul-searching decision about whether to keep trying or drop out, but in Christian film competitions everyone is told that they're great and that they did a good job. There isn't as much of that self-critical eye, that embarrassment of "boy my movie really sucks, I need to do better" to spur people to improve.

I guess the same could be said about preachy Christian movies, if they know hundreds of thousands of pious folk will buy the DVD no matter how bad it sucks, why bother improving?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

Nicolas Cage

It's a Christmas miracle!

• Locked thread