Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr Jaunts posted:

Uh, that dude does realize that God's name isn't... you know, God? Or am I missing something :confused:

The third commandment has been interpreted differently by different sects of Christianity, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with God's literal name. Many protestants have interpreted that commandment to mean that the phrases "God drat it," and "gosh darn it" are equally in violation, because regardless of how the latter doesn't use the "real" name of God, it's still referring to Him. Some protestants even argue that "God drat it" is actually less sacrilegious, since it could be a honest appeal to God to bring down his judgement, while using "gosh" is inherently insincere.

One interpretation of the third commandment, and the one that I believe Pat Boone is using, is that you shouldn't claim God has said something that He hasn't, or use his name to give yourself authority. For example, if I told my boss that God said to give me a raise, I'd be taking His name in vain. A chain letter that promises that God would bless you if you sent copies to ten friends would also be an example. If SNL had actually claimed that God was a boob man, then they would have taken His name in vain (according to that interpretation).

There are two problems with that, though. For one, SNL was not claiming to speak for God, or trying to convince you that God was a boob man. SNL wasn't using God's name as a tool to push their "pro boobs" agenda. While they were arguable insufficiently reverent, they were not actually taking His name in vain. The second is that, by that interpretation, God's Not Dead actually does take His name in vain, since it did use God's name to lend authority to their agenda.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

“Now more than ever as we see no relief from our judiciary or legislative branches, the church must stand up and take a leadership role in protecting the vulnerable,” Jones added. “We are issuing an urgent call to churches and church leaders to recommit themselves to protecting the sanctity of life.”

:lol: I thought this was going to be a call for Christians to support Black Lives Matter. Silly me!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Why would an atheist care about the sin of idolatry? Why bother with conversion (or conversation) when you could simply otherize the out group, I guess.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DStecks posted:

This isn't exactly accurate to how these people view things; they aren't nearly as explicitly manichean as you make out. They don't believe that Satan has the "authority" to do anything but tempt people, so depression isn't like a curse put on you by Satan, but a symptom of spiritual weakness. They avoid the question of why bad things happen to good people by denying it entirely; if something bad happened to you then you must have deserved it, period.

"These people" is a large and broad group. While it's true that most ministers would agree with your assessment there are plenty of Christians who do believe Satan takes an active, malevolent role that goes beyond temptation.

As alike as much of American Christian media is, it's important to remember that there are thousands of separate denominations that consider themselves distinct from one another.

I remember going to church conventions as a child where various Christian publishing companies would selling their books, and how important it was not to buy books promoting the "wrong" kind of Christianity.

• Locked thread