Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something to point out about Sherwood Pictures (the people behind Fireproof and Courageous) is that their whole thing is to sell crap that they introduce in their movies. Like how Fireproof has Kirk Cameron fix his marriage because of a book called "The Love Dare" and surprise surprise they just happen to actually sell that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "heaven" stuff makes a lot more sense in real life with the fact that the dad was a pastor. So, you know, the kid was already well immersed in religious ideas/culture.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

Wouldn't surprise me considering that's how another filmmaker got Robert Loggia to play Satan in a Pro-life movie

Or how that weird geo-centrism documentary was made recently.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

K. Waste posted:

American Protestantism has a long history of mediated depictions of Catholicism as being a sinful, idolatrous, wacko outfit. I believe the Catholic Church is even explicitly connected with the anti-Christ in one of these apocalyptic novel series, though I'm confounded to remember which one.

Jack Chick (of those stupid little comic pamphlets) actually puts out stuff directly stating that the Catholic Church was created by and is currently run by Satan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How the gently caress does saying the Catholic Church was created by Satan even make sense? :psyduck: The Protestants were the ones who broke off from the Catholics, not the other way around. If the Catholic Church was created by Satan, that means Jesus was Satan.

He has a thing about how the Eucharist isn't in the Bible (despite, you know, the whole last supper thing.) Also that his whole sect of Baptists was secretly around since Jesus times and they're the only real church.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also did a really goofy thing in that any character that was written as speaking directly for God would only use Bible quotes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come evangelicals hate the UN?

There's a lot of crossover between evangelicals and the John Birch Society, which is a far right group against globalization and such.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Also until watching this I had no idea Vincent price was in a scooby doo thing.

IMDB credits him as Vincent VanGhoul

Awesome.

That spin off was weird because they got rid of Fred and Velma but kept Daphne.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That dinosaur title is weird. I wonder if they can't legally call what they're saying "truth" when it is objectively wrong.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Other than C.S. Lewis"? Have you read That Hideous Strength? Straw atheists, straw feminists, straw everything Lewis doesn't like. I seem to remember (cannot find cites, so it could well be folk history) that Lewis was one of the people in the Inklings who was adamant about excluding women.

He does end the Narnia series with one of the girls not getting to go to Heaven because of boys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schizotek posted:

I got a chance to watch "The Captive" in theaters a couple days ago. It's literally a two hour ad for Rick Warrens "The Purpose Driven Life". How the hell did this thing make it to major theaters?

They actually have at least one commercial for the movie which is just quotes from him about how great the movie is. Getting into recursive promotion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently a lot of side characters from the first movie return as jurors in the sequel. Including the lady who got cancer for daring to criticize Duck Dynasty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They probably specifically cast actors who "spoke Chinese" and just had them say the lines separately and neither had any contact with the other person.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

5-20 abortions a day?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how the description kind of tries to hide the twist to the affair at first but then just kind of gives up and goes yeah, he gay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bar3GOzDNzg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

I saw a lot of Ben-Hur ads, but they were basically the same "your brother betrayed you -> Morgan Freeman found you -> Chariot race" for like three months.

Same. If they wanted to push the Jesus angle they didn't advertise it very well. Although the movie theater I go to has had a giant standee for the movie for a couple of months now. However it does a poor job of advertising the movie because it is so big they kind of had to shove it off in a corner. Anywhere else and it would cause traffic problems.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't this exactly the same thing someone tried to do with physical media that got exactly the same book thrown at them?

Edit: Considering who they're being sued by I seriously doubt they actually have the rights to actually rent those movies out so they really don't have a leg to stand on.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wait, when did someone edit out the religion in Veggie Tales?

• Locked thread