Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

As for money, I have a ROTH IRA, that I have been putting money into every year. The last time I looked at it was a couple of years ago but it was at ~$24,000. It's tax free when I take it out, but this is my super late game emergency fund that I don't want to touch until I am 50 or 60. Honestly, I pretend that I just don't have this and try not to look at it because I don't want to be tempted to draw from it.

I also have $12,000 saved in my checking and banking account right now, that includes expenses already paid for on a trip I did back to NYC a few months ago and a trip to Germany in the next few weeks. When I originally came back I only had about $3,500 in billings per month because of real estate classes eating up so much time, it wasn't until the last month where I hit my stride and I am making $7,000 per month ($84,000/year). This month, I should have another 7 or 8 thousand in billings. It really shouldn't go down because I basically know what I am doing and I can do work twice as fast as I could 2 months ago.

Honestly one of my biggest regrets is not taking the job at the fashion magazine to see what it was like at in the inside. To see how the office moods were and how fast people were getting moved up or held down. My other corporate job I had had a VERY toxic environment and the partners were making enemies of a lot of people at the company so I just got sick of a bad office environment and it made me worried to go to another office.

I'm curious - how many years have you been paying into your IRA? How much do you put into it, on average, every year?

Also, you say you have 12k in your checking/savings accounts, but you are paying for a trip to Germany in the next couple of weeks out of that, if I'm reading correctly. How much have you made this year? Of that, how much have you actually put into long-term savings or investments to generate your passive income (not money that is earmarked for travel or whatever)? In fact, what ARE your plans for passive income?

If you aren't able to build up a comfy cushion of savings when making 100-150k a year, how are you going to be able to survive on less than half of that in an area with a higher cost of living? Have you actually tried to draw up a budget based on an income of 45k gross? Exactly what kind of "lifestyle" do you envision having in NYC, and how much will it actually cost? What happens if you don't get a job in the first few months, or lose it after less than a year? What happens if the only job you can find has the kind of toxic environment you don't like?

OP, you sound like a teenager, wailing "BUT I CAN'T GIVE UP MY DREEEEAAAMMMMSSSS!!!!" You don't seem to have any kind of plan. You aren't crazy, you're just immature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

No Wave posted:

Dude, drop the snide poo poo. It's his loving life. There's no reason to throw shame around.

I wasn't trying to be snide, I was being realistic. The OP doesn't seem to have thought this through beyond "I want".

April
Jul 3, 2006

No Wave posted:

So what? Again, it's his life. He gets to do what he wants. All we can do is help him figure out whether or not it's in his self-interest.

It was Tuyop's life when he was buying $100 pairs of underwear. It was Zaurg's life when he was so desperate for sex he was buying a house to try to get laid by his cheating wife. It was Cornholio's life when he valued his Mini-Cooper above financial security. It's Slow Motion's "baller" life when he... well, everything. Why do all of them get honest, if unflattering, feedback, but not the OP here?

I thought the whole purpose of BFC was for people to get a reality check on their finances, to break down the ACTUAL numbers, and so on, not to just go "Dude, it's your life, do what you want." I did ask for the OP's budget, real savings, backup plan, etc. Moving cross-country with no savings, and no actual job lined up, to one of the most expensive cities in the world, for no reason other than "I like it better there" is an immature action, particularly when just a year or 2 of delayed gratification would put the OP in a much more stable position.

April
Jul 3, 2006

No Wave posted:

So should the OP stay in California to avoid looking immature, or because it's a self-interested financial decision? If the latter, what is:

"wailing"?

The two are not mutually exclusive. A bad financial decision can be made due to immaturity.

• Locked thread