Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm hoping that doesn't happen again because Nolan is a talented filmmaker and I find myself watching Memento every year to be reminded of this.
There's no way it doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DNS posted:

Go see Dallas Buyers Club and get your rear end rocked off.
I saw Dallas Buyers Club today and had to quote this. If you're still a McConaughey skeptic, go watch this movie and understand what you should have known a few years ago.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw Dallas Buyers Club today and had to quote this. If you're still a McConaughey skeptic, go watch this movie and understand what you should have known a few years ago.

I mean, I've seen Mud, Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike, Killer Joe, Bernie. I already knew that he was a good actor doing good work. But he really takes it another level in Dallas Buyers. It's a better movie than it should be, and it's mostly on the back of his & Leto's performances.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I hope the plot involves McConaughey going through the wormhole only to find China already there, having not stopped their space program just because NASA is no more.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I love anything regarding pioneers or adventurers. The Right Stuff is one of my favourite movies even though it's kinda clunky in parts. The teaser for this has me hooked just because it kinda looks like a spiritual sci-fi successor to that movie.

Things that give me pause: Nolan. The human element in his movies is very lacking, which is the best part of pioneer stories - the people pushing themselves.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 17, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I hope the plot involves McConaughey going through the wormhole only to find China already there, having not stopped their space program just because NASA is no more.

No kidding. I was just Googling them and found out that Tiangong is a real thing, it's not something that I thought Gravity had made up. It's nowhere near what it looks like in that movie, however.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Jonathan Nolan account spotted..

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cubicle gangster posted:

It's not a trailer, it's a teaser. It's just to let you know that nolan is making a movie about space with matthew mcconaughey. it'll be a long time before we see a full trailer.

It should be noted though, that there have been some pretty kickin' rad teaser trailers

I just wanted an excuse to post that

Big fan of Memento, Inception and The Prestige so I'm looking forward to another proper Nolan film that doesn't involve close shots of Christian Bale's talking head interspersed with him in a black cape punching people.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

It's not a trailer, it's a teaser. It's just to let you know that nolan is making a movie about space with matthew mcconaughey. it'll be a long time before we see a full trailer.

Yet its at a url called trailer addict listed as a teaser trailer.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MaoistBanker posted:

Christopher Nolan doesn't really do hoots or "playful".
I think it depends what you mean by playful. I think Nolan actually does a good job getting little bits of comedy out of his characters in his Batman films. Stuff like this really stopped those films from being complete downers. Even Inception has some little bits of humor to break up Leo's squinting.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think it depends what you mean by playful. I think Nolan actually does a good job getting little bits of comedy out of his characters in his Batman films. Stuff like this really stopped those films from being complete downers. Even Inception has some little bits of humor to break up Leo's squinting.

Memento had some funny/"playful" moments as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvljC8HTgwA

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

stratdax posted:

Things that give me pause: Nolan. The human element in his movies is very lacking, which is the best part of pioneer stories - the people pushing themselves.
I agree. This teaser gives a "warm" and, as someone earlier posted, romantic feel but I have to wonder if that might be at odds with Nolan's usually colder style.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

FightingMongoose posted:

Yet its at a url called trailer addict listed as a teaser trailer.

well wait until someone uploads it to youtube and it's still got teaser in the title.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

LordPants posted:

It should be noted though, that there have been some pretty kickin' rad teaser trailers

I just wanted an excuse to post that

Big fan of Memento, Inception and The Prestige so I'm looking forward to another proper Nolan film that doesn't involve close shots of Christian Bale's talking head interspersed with him in a black cape punching people.

I don't know why people loved that trailer so much, I thought it was awful.

To the guy who read the script by his brother, I really hope it is significantly reworked from the traditional disaster movie.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think I'll ever not enjoy a Christopher Nolan movie. Despite the lack of substance, that trailer has made this my most anticipated for 2014.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Robot_Rumpus posted:

What was bad about it?

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

Robot_Rumpus posted:

I didn't find it awful, just really, really generic. I feel like I've heard the whole "humans are pioneers" speech a hundred times (car commercials maybe?) and Mcconaughey just doesn't add anything to it. For some reason it reminded a lot of the Man Of Steel trailer, which I actually preferred over this one in no small part due to my really liking Crowe and Costner's delivery.

I certainly won't be judging the film based on this tiny clip containing nothing from the film (not that anyone here is, just sayin'). A screenshot of the rocket with "Nolan" written somewhere is probably enough to keep me interested until it's released.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DNS posted:

What was bad about it?

It didn't convey anything about the movie its supposed to make me aware of. It's inherently unremarkable.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Rad Russian posted:

What do you want to see? Space explosions and Matthew Mcconaughey punching aliens for two minutes? It's good for a teaser, and a different approach from typical big budget drivel that we get.

I think you've confused me with someone who thinks trailers (or movies) have to feature a lot of explosions. I just think the teaser could have seemed less like a bland commercial for cars or Jack Daniels.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I actually chuckled quite a few times during The Prestige, it's got a pretty dark sense of humor but it's definitely there.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

MisterBibs posted:

It didn't convey anything about the movie its supposed to make me aware of.

Yes it did. That's either hyperbole or you weren't paying attention to what you were watching.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DNS posted:

Yes it did. That's either hyperbole or you weren't paying attention to what you were watching.

I can understand this viewpoint though, we've definitely been trained to define teaser as "look at this cutting edge special effect" and trailer as "plot summary w/world building."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Matthew Mcconaughey floats in zero G aboard a space station, a fellow astronaut is spinning weightlessly at his feet. He reaches for something. A closeup reveals it is a packet of chicken flavored space food gel. He tears off the end of the tube and a drop slips out the opening of the package and drifts past his face. He lowers the packet to his waist. Suck this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DNS posted:

Having seen the thing twice, I can assure you I'm not being hyperbolic. I know what I was watching: a guy wistfully talking about space exploration before taking his beat up truck to watch a generic ship lift off.

Pay attention? Teasers are supposed to get my attention, and there was nothing there to grab onto.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 18, 2013

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It conveys that the space mission, presumably an interstellar one, will be framed as the resumption of a lost dream of exploration after a period of stagnation, which stagnation it associates with ecological disasters such as the Dust Bowl and a general dimming of humanity's dreams for the future. Maybe you don't give a poo poo about any of that, but it conveys something.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 18, 2013

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

He was talking about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo teaser. Go back and see where the link was posted to that teaser to see this conversation start if you're confused.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What? He mentions space exploration and a ship lifting off.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Robot_Rumpus posted:

That's the source of confusion, he was talking about the Interstellar trailer in the Interstellar thread, instead of saying he didn't like the GWTDT teaser.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I saw that, but MisterBibs really seems like he's talking about the Interstellar trailer, given the talk about spaceships.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Sorry, I was on my phone and didn't see the names of who was posting what. When I said "he" I meant Robot Rumpus. Here's where I mean where the conversation swerved to Dragon Tattoo and then sharply back to Interstellar with nobody noticing Robot Rumpus was saying the Dragon Tattoo teaser was bad, not Interstellar. Either way this coversation's all over the place.

Robot_Rumpus posted:

DNS posted:

What was bad about it?

maninacape posted:

I didn't find it awful, just really, really generic. I feel like I've heard the whole "humans are pioneers" speech a hundred times (car commercials maybe?) and Mcconaughey just doesn't add anything to it. For some reason it reminded a lot of the Man Of Steel trailer, which I actually preferred over this one in no small part due to my really liking Crowe and Costner's delivery.

I certainly won't be judging the film based on this tiny clip containing nothing from the film (not that anyone here is, just sayin'). A screenshot of the rocket with "Nolan" written somewhere is probably enough to keep me interested until it's released.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Pay attention? Teasers are supposed to get my attention, and there was nothing there to grab onto.

Yeah, if Nolan wasn't attached to this teaser people would likely be making GBS threads on it for being vague and useless. I know this film will likely be good, but that was a lovely teaser that tells you almost nothing about the movie's plot.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, if Nolan wasn't attached to this teaser people would likely be making GBS threads on it for being vague and useless. I know this film will likely be good, but that was a lovely teaser that tells you almost nothing about the movie's plot.

I liked the teaser but I'm not a fan of Nolan, so now what? I liked how vague it was, because it speaks to this whole wild, unknown frontier where anything is possible. When a trailer is released where it's revealed they go through a wormhole and fight aliens is when I lose interest.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MisterBibs posted:

It didn't convey anything about the movie its supposed to make me aware of. It's inherently unremarkable.

DFu4ever posted:

It feels like the purpose of that teaser was to simply let the general audience know that Chris Nolan is making a space movie with Matthew McConaughey. It accomplishes its goal in that regard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

It feels like the purpose of that teaser was to simply let the general audience know that Chris Nolan is making a space movie with Matthew McConaughey. It accomplishes its goal in that regard.

Yeah, as soon as the Nolan-mark shows up on screen and you hear McConaughey's voice you can safely turn off the teaser because thats what its selling. Nolan is going to team up with a fantastic actor and you are going to watch it because its Nolan and a fantastic actor. Space will be involved.

Also corn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I'm biased towards both Nolam and McConaughey so I loved the teaser and can't wait to see a full trailer.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Matthew Mcconaughey floats in zero G aboard a space station, a fellow astronaut is spinning weightlessly at his feet. He reaches for something. A closeup reveals it is a packet of chicken flavored space food gel. He tears off the end of the tube and a drop slips out the opening of the package and drifts past his face. He lowers the packet to his waist. Suck this.

:golfclap:

I loving loved the teaser, for the record, particularly the way it frames humanity's drive to explore space.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

DNS posted:

The "destiny lies above us" line, instead of "lies in front of us" specifically hints to this.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

stratdax posted:

Sorry, I was on my phone and didn't see the names of who was posting what. When I said "he" I meant Robot Rumpus. Here's where I mean where the conversation swerved to Dragon Tattoo and then sharply back to Interstellar with nobody noticing Robot Rumpus was saying the Dragon Tattoo teaser was bad, not Interstellar. Either way this coversation's all over the place.

Yeah, I took the conversation off track with my comment about the Dragon trailer. Sorry about that. Interstellar is fine.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

IMB posted:

The "destiny lies above us" line, instead of "lies in front of us" specifically hints to this.

He was talking about the Interstellar teaser but I thought he meant the Dragon Tattoo one, so that's what I was talking about there. Though I think my line applies to the Interstellar teaser too, but not as much - I don't think it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The Interstellar trailer is a good teaser, but not a good trailer. It got us suitably hyped an interested and we have a general idea of what it's about. But there was very little substance to it beyond the brief shot of McConaughey in the car and the rocket. It shows enough to make us wonder, but not enough to know exactly what it's about.

You also have to consider that the trailer was much more concerned with conveying the themes of the movie than explaining the movie itself.

• Locked thread