Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fryedegg
Jan 13, 2004
Everquest killed my libido (and my cat). 8(
Is hacking a problem in this? I've had an eye on getting this for awhile, but so many bad experiences with hackers during my time in DayZ has me wondering. It seems like you have more to lose from it in a more persistent world like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
While someone more experienced with the game will probably have a better answer, the servers are at least monitored by Steam's anti-cheat and if you get caught you are banned from all the servers. (According to the loading screen.)

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

I've been playing this game for a few weeks now and love it. So much so that I also rented out my own server a week or so ago. I had planned to advertise it here as well and hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Server Name: Rust West Coast - PVP & Sleepers (200 slots, currently around 25 people on at peak, 10 late at night)

If you like the idea of playing with sleepers on, feel free to join! I personally think playing with sleepers on is more fun because you can't just logout to escape death and losing stuff.

Good group of people have been playing so far, but as of a few days ago 4 - 5 guys joined up together and have been building a very large base and have started to run things. I'm currently combatting them myself with nightly raids and could really use some help =) It's a ton of fun.

Feel free to add me on Steam as well if you'd like to chat / group up: Fastlikecheetah

Also, if interested in building up around my current center of operations, ping me on Steam and come find my base. It's close to the town that the road goes through the middle of. All about building a GoonTown of sorts.

Spreadsheet of players: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SHc&usp=sharing

Graphics fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 19, 2013

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So if I make something but placed it stupidly can I get rid of it or move it somehow? Also is there anyway to prevent something from despawning?

Also is it possible to share who can open a door?

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 17, 2013

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

While someone more experienced with the game will probably have a better answer, the servers are at least monitored by Steam's anti-cheat and if you get caught you are banned from all the servers. (According to the loading screen.)

VAC does almost nothing in this, you can modify the bytecode directly (Completely rewriting the clientside code) and vac won't ban you for it. I haven't seen much in the way for people who actually know what they're doing trying to reverse this game yet, but wallhacks are extremely easy to do and not detected. Good admins should be able to stop it though.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Archonex posted:

It's basically Minecraft with a PVP focus. The introduction for the game even states that, albeit in a way that skips around saying it. Dungeons are towns, the enemies are still zombies (But with less enemy types.), and the graphics are prettier but with more dongs as compensation.

Their whole "it's a persistent world!" thing isn't that revolutionary either. Minecraft has been doing that for a long time too.

As batshit crazy as the concept currently appears there really doesn't appear to be much that differentiates it yet. It doesn't appear to be bringing much to the table too if I was to go off the OP. Especially compared to games like that Minecraft-esque zombie apocalypse sim whose name I forget at the moment, or 3079, which is basically part roguelike, part Diablo, part Minecraft.

Edit: Apparently they're removing the zombies as well. So it's not even taking elements from DayZ too? It's not often I say this about a game, but between nudity being added as a feature and the fairly lackluster set of features i'm not sure what the point of the game even is from a developmental standpoint.

In my experience so far the game has a much stronger PvE focus than the PvP aspect. The constant battle for survival against cold, hunger, wild animals and zombies (I'm not sure why they're taking out the zombies either) tends to bring players together. I guess I've only played on low-moderate population Australian servers (<100 players) and players' attitudes often seem to be different in the US, but at any given time I'd say 50% of the server population is naked newbies asking for help, 30-40% experienced players exploring ruins and building houses and maybe 10-20% bandits trying to hunt or rob other players. The way players interact reminds me of the very early days of DayZ, before everyone developed a shoot-first-ask-questions-later mentality.

As for what this game does differently, I think their aim is to make a more hardcore survival simulator. It certainly reminds me of games like Stranded and UnReal World where the objective of the game is simply to survive in the wilderness - I can't think of any recent games with nice graphics that actually do this well and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Personally, right now I'd recommend getting the game if you really enjoy survival games or the survival aspect of DayZ some of the Stalker mods etc (and don't mind something which is a bit rough around the edges).

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I can't imagine having trouble surviving in the world. Here how about
How to not die to the PVE elements:
Hit stones and trees with your rock.
Build a hatchet. Hang onto the rock for a bit: it works better than the hatchet if you need to beat a deer to death.
Murder animals. Probably pigs, but if you crouch walk to chase the deer you can drop them in 4 hits and a little walking.
Use meat from animals so you don't starve. You should probably cook it first but this is your RP so it's up to you.
Turn your cloth into clothes to hide your shameful nudity.

Now that your damned bopper isn't hanging out flopping around in the breeze you won't freeze to death. I'm not entirely sure you can: it's just so incredibly easy to butcher the wildlife and clothe yourself that I haven't encountered it. Let's get really advanced with this poo poo.

Make a bow, it's like 35 wood and 5 more cloth. Arrows take 8 wood and some amount of stone (3 maybe?), and the recipe makes 4 at once. It one-shots the common zombies and kills deer, boar, and wolves in two. The zombies will drop guns if you're lucky and/or diligent. If you're on a server where firing a pistol doesn't immediately summon three dudes in kevlar with M4s to murder you, you've pretty much 'beat' the game. In maybe 20 minutes. The hardest part for a new player is figuring out the UI weirdness. The hardest part for me is finding enough stone to get started; I usually seem to end up with ore instead of stone. Which just means more running around. It isn't really dangerous, as the only thing that can run outrun you are the bright red angry zombies, which seem quite rare.

Your homework is to please circle one:
A. This is a clearly PVP game.
B. Garry has sold me shovelware, only intended for the littlest, tiniest babies.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You don't freeze to death, being cold just makes you burn through your food bar faster, making you starve to death significantly sooner.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

How the hell does smetling work? I put ore in my furnace and it just sits there...

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Put some fuel like wood in there and light it (use it). I guess it's going to have a menu like the campfire in a future update.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
This game is bare boners right now but I had fun in the little time that I played last night. The best part is listening to pubbie tears as they express their surprise about getting murdered in a murder simulator.

Rocks are really annoying to find though, you would think the freaking ever-present stone mountains would be full of them.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

This game is bare boners right now but I had fun in the little time that I played last night. The best part is listening to pubbie tears as they express their surprise about getting murdered in a murder simulator.

Rocks are really annoying to find though, you would think the freaking ever-present stone mountains would be full of them.

Right now there is not a proper resource generator that randomly places them around the map. Some area's are super dense with materials, others are a barren wasteland.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
IMHO I would hold off and wait until they add a lot more content or drop the price in half. There are too many of these Apoc Survival games right now, and they're all too early to judge. My main problem with this game is that it's very hard to play with friends. There are no navigation tools (map, compass, etc), and you only see another character's name when they're 10-20 feet away. If you die without an existing camp (like if you were sleep raided), you spawn in a random location. It's just tedious and frustrating.

I own this, Day-Z (the mod), 7 Days to Die and WarZ. I regret all of them as purchases.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Overture posted:

I've been playing this game for a few weeks now and love it. So much so that I also rented out my own server a week or so ago. I had planned to advertise it here as well and hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Server Name: Rust West Coast - PVP & Sleepers (200 slots, currently around 25 people on at peak, 10 late at night)

If you like the idea of playing with sleepers on, feel free to join! I personally think playing with sleepers on is more fun because you can't just logout to escape death and losing stuff.

Good group of people have been playing so far, but as of a few days ago 4 - 5 guys joined up together and have been building a very large base and have started to run things. I'm currently combatting them myself with nightly raids and could really use some help =) It's a ton of fun.

Feel free to add me on Steam as well if you'd like to chat / group up: Fastlikecheetah

Also, if interested in building up around my current center of operations, ping me on Steam and come find my base. It's close to the town that the road goes through the middle of. All about building a GoonTown of sorts.

Been playing on your server, the lower pop count is nice, though I do wish there were a bit more people. I've been hearing some fighting though...

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Had fun with some randoms on a random server, if you can find a few people who aren't complete dickbags then you can have some pretty entertaining adventures. Even the most mundane of "hey we're going out to get some wood" trips turns into a total clusterfuck where you break your leg and get mauled by bears. Too bad making a kickass fort or base is pointless since any fortifications are worthless if no one's online to defend them. All our stuff got raided and our sleeping bodies unceremoniously executed for our meager possessions. :smith:

I saw a post on another site about a guy who had made a chicken shack with a friend, and handed out pre-cooked chicken to all the starving naked masses free of charge, and sometimes got paid for it with items and blueprints. Lots of ways to play and have fun in this game, even just wandering around exploring is cool.

Yelling "HEEERE'S JOHHNY" while having a few guys help you bust down the door to someone's crappy shack and having the occupant bitch at you in broken english as you hack them to bits is always a treat though :v:

imperialparadox posted:

Rocks and woodpiles only spawn in the lower valleys. Near the southern hangar is a decent spot, but you'll find more in the central part of the map since most people linger in the south/west regions.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 17, 2013

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

IMHO I would hold off and wait until they add a lot more content or drop the price in half. There are too many of these Apoc Survival games right now, and they're all too early to judge. My main problem with this game is that it's very hard to play with friends. There are no navigation tools (map, compass, etc), and you only see another character's name when they're 10-20 feet away. If you die without an existing camp (like if you were sleep raided), you spawn in a random location. It's just tedious and frustrating.

I own this, Day-Z (the mod), 7 Days to Die and WarZ. I regret all of them as purchases.
I hope navigation tools remain difficult and that character name identification remains difficult. These make the game way more fun than it otherwise would be.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Been playing on your server, the lower pop count is nice, though I do wish there were a bit more people. I've been hearing some fighting though...

What name are you playing as?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Overture posted:

What name are you playing as?

Not a chance, trust no one. What is your name?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
There's a group of tryhards on the goon server, but I'm not sure if they're goons or pubbies who I should murder, please advise.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
We really should get a goon roster going so we know who to terrorize. I believe we already know one another, Watuhboy.

Edit: The server seems to be down. Failed to Connect (Facepunch_Connector_AuthFailure)

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 18, 2013

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Im in as Rodger.

burgergod
Dec 17, 2013
Is this worth playing? Raiding other people with fellow friends sounds like a good time.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I like it. It's fun to start with rock and work your way up to being able to make assault rifles and such. I haven't done much raiding because I tend to be pretty cooperative but it has a lot of potential for fun.

Edit: The server shows up in my browser with 3 players on it but I can't connect. :(

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 18, 2013

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I shot a guy and he got all mad :ohdear:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Man, this loving game.

I logged off last night away from my main base that me and about 6 other guys made, it was too close to the road for my liking but they insisted on it. Anyway, I log back in right as some randoms in kevlar were snooping around in the perimeter after breaking open the walls. I waited a bit until they left, so I ran into my stash to take what I could. They came back and cornered me in there while I was grabbing what I could carry.

:v:: Who's out there?

:ninja::ninja::ninja:: truce?

:v:: Not coming out, and a truce is not happening. Leave.

:ninja::ninja::ninja:: Nah, its 3 on 1, you're hosed mate.

Fought em for 5 minutes while behind a couple crates. I must have burned 10 medkits and 5 mags of 5.56mm on them, they kept peeking around the corners and taking potshots at me. I think I killed one but the other two stormed in and shotgunned me in the face. They then proceeded to loot the entire base and put metal doors on all the empty doorways. They probably left the beds intact so people will spawn in there and be trapped. Now I'm naked and living in the hills again.

this game :negative:

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Gooch181 posted:

I like it. It's fun to start with rock and work your way up to being able to make assault rifles and such. I haven't done much raiding because I tend to be pretty cooperative but it has a lot of potential for fun.

Edit: The server shows up in my browser with 3 players on it but I can't connect. :(

Go into steam, right click and properties on Rust; Local Files; Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Any time I've had problems it is what I do. I checked and no server side updates either.

Minarchist posted:

Man, this loving game.

I logged off last night away from my main base that me and about 6 other guys made, it was too close to the road for my liking but they insisted on it. Anyway, I log back in right as some randoms in kevlar were snooping around in the perimeter after breaking open the walls. I waited a bit until they left, so I ran into my stash to take what I could. They came back and cornered me in there while I was grabbing what I could carry.

:v:: Who's out there?

:ninja::ninja::ninja:: truce?

:v:: Not coming out, and a truce is not happening. Leave.

:ninja::ninja::ninja:: Nah, its 3 on 1, you're hosed mate.

Fought em for 5 minutes while behind a couple crates. I must have burned 10 medkits and 5 mags of 5.56mm on them, they kept peeking around the corners and taking potshots at me. I think I killed one but the other two stormed in and shotgunned me in the face. They then proceeded to loot the entire base and put metal doors on all the empty doorways. They probably left the beds intact so people will spawn in there and be trapped. Now I'm naked and living in the hills again.

this game :negative:

Sounds like you need some Grenades! :devil:

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 18, 2013

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Gave that a shot and I still get the same error message: "Failed to Connect (Facepunch_Connector_AuthFailure)".
I can connect to other servers.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Gooch181 posted:

Gave that a shot and I still get the same error message: "Failed to Connect (Facepunch_Connector_AuthFailure)".

Its being looked into, apparently many people are having the same problem with various servers.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Good to know, thanks for the update!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Just posting to say that I'm getting the same thing now, I was playing just fine a few hours ago.

BHB fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 18, 2013

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I am going to restart the server and see if it helps. Rust Dev's have said that is seems its a problem with Steam or the authentication process as a whole and are working to fix it.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Hey Nuck you should add to the op that you can shift click and control click the +- signs in the crafting menus to add 10 or all to the crafting action, respectively.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

A friend I play with made this google doc, we can all add our names, servers and locations to form up or murder each other.

Can it get added to the OP?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiBKlrwRcvRhdEJsV0VfQlZPdW1NS051ZjZ3cFBvSHc&usp=sharing

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

ScienceAndMusic posted:

A friend I play with made this google doc, we can all add our names, servers and locations to form up or murder each other.

Can it get added to the OP?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiBKlrwRcvRhdEJsV0VfQlZPdW1NS051ZjZ3cFBvSHc&usp=sharing

Adding this and ctrl/shift

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

I am curious, those who play on no sleep servers, why do it? I realize the sleep mechanic is kind of stupid, and in my opinion if you logout either A) your body should stay where you logged out for 15 mins) or B) you have to select logout and then wait 5 mins.

The problem with no sleepers is, if I am in trouble, I will just close my game, and BAM, I am safe again. It seems like such a no brainer, and that feels lame to me as I'm sure others will do it as well.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I am curious, those who play on no sleep servers, why do it? I realize the sleep mechanic is kind of stupid, and in my opinion if you logout either A) your body should stay where you logged out for 15 mins) or B) you have to select logout and then wait 5 mins.

The problem with no sleepers is, if I am in trouble, I will just close my game, and BAM, I am safe again. It seems like such a no brainer, and that feels lame to me as I'm sure others will do it as well.

What you realized is why I change the server to no sleep. If we could have a cool down for 15minutes after logging out that would be fine. But to have to crawl onto a cliff every time just gets annoying after awhile. I might change it to sleep if the general goon population would like it though. I'm not an evil dictator after all!

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

What you realized is why I change the server to no sleep. If we could have a cool down for 15minutes after logging out that would be fine. But to have to crawl onto a cliff every time just gets annoying after awhile. I might change it to sleep if the general goon population would like it though. I'm not an evil dictator after all!

Its up to you, there is another goon server I play on that is sleep. And I just log out in my shack. I don't tend to crawl out a lot.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I picked this up earlier this week and I have been really enjoying it. I actually rented a server for 50 people called Valhalla.

Me and another goon were logged off and the server troll blew open our fortress and got our C4 stash, guns, and armor. Upon logging in next we noticed he formed his own little mafia with our gear and was running around taxing plays and if they didn't pay he would murder them and destroy their homes.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Kizurue posted:

I picked this up earlier this week and I have been really enjoying it. I actually rented a server for 50 people called Valhalla.

Me and another goon were logged off and the server troll blew open our fortress and got our C4 stash, guns, and armor. Upon logging in next we noticed he formed his own little mafia with our gear and was running around taxing plays and if they didn't pay he would murder them and destroy their homes.

I am more than willing to try to form a group and murder this guy back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

This seems pretty decent, I'm guessing it's an advanced alpha? Playable and all that?

• Locked thread