Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

kiresays posted:

This seems pretty decent, I'm guessing it's an advanced alpha? Playable and all that?

Very playable! Server does lag a bit from time to time and there are a lot of "alpha" moments, but compared to the DayZ SA, this is like soild gold. Also the updates seem to come pretty darn frequently. There is a lot that isn't easy to decipher as a new player so read the OP, maybe the wiki too. Although some people do think starting blind is the most fun. Pro-tip though, hitting trees and rocks with your starting stone give you resources.

The voice chat in this game works incredibly well, so sometimes you might be able to use it to talk to other players for help, assuming they don't just shoot you in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Fo sho, very playable.

New revolver, might replace the 9mm

A "Patrol Helicopter". Comes with some options so its patrolin' will be fun!

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 18, 2013

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I am trying to connect to the goon server mentioned in the op and getting an auth failure. When connecting to other servers I am getting a timeout error. Anyone run into this?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

I am trying to connect to the goon server mentioned in the op and getting an auth failure. When connecting to other servers I am getting a timeout error. Anyone run into this?

There is some issue going on today, the devs are working hard to fix it :(

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 18, 2013

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Drinkfist posted:

Valve has confirmed this is a problem with steam and are working to fix it. Hopefully soon!

Just swapped the images to imgur.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

There is some issue going on today, the devs are working hard to fix it :(

Cool cool. Just wanted to know if it was just me.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Valve has confirmed this is a problem with steam and are working to fix it. Hopefully soon!

Just swapped the images to imgur.

Where did you get this info?

edit: the images not the auth problem.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Where did you get this info?

Facepunch themselves (Devs). Earlier they said they think its a Steam issue, and valve just confirmed it about 2 hours ago.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Facepunch themselves (Devs). Earlier they said they think its a Steam issue, and valve just confirmed it about 2 hours ago.

Sorry I meant the images.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Sorry I meant the images.

Oh sorry! Also from Facepunch lol.

That website has a constantly updating list of everything they are working on, and who is working on what. Plus comments between them. Very very neat stuff.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Oh sorry! Also from Facepunch lol.

That website has a constantly updating list of everything they are working on, and who is working on what. Plus comments between them. Very very neat stuff.

Very cool, I didn't know they had this level of transparency, that is very very encouraging.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Is there another Rust thread because I expected a bigger thread for "Naked men beating the poo poo out of one another with big loving rocks".

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
It's quite clear the devs are unsure in what direction to take this game but I wish they would've stuck with medieval weaponry with a more slightly magical upgrade path, ala Savage 1/2 (chemical grenades, lightning staves, sniper crossbows, etc). This rock/bow&arrow and m4/cargo plane poo poo is kinda wacky.

Pr0phecy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 19, 2013

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So this was posted in the Rust forum on FP yesterday evening by one of the devs.

Helk posted:

Hopefully some more to come by tomorrow (research changes)

This should be up on the Dev server (Germany 1) in an hour or so.. if all goes well we will make the patch live tomorrow

FYI, if you're on the development branch and you update, Germany 1 will be the only server you will be able to join, you have been warned!

//Fixed Metal Doors not setting their rotation properly
//Shelters can be placed closer together than they used to be able to
//Grenades have a smaller radius, do less damage, and are harder to craft
//Resource nodes respawning should no longer cause server-wide lag
//Deployables placed on inside (new) shelters should no longer destroy when the shelter is destroyed
//Added some missing death effects for shelters and doors
//Should be easier to squeeze sleeping bags into shelters now
//Spike walls can be placed closer together, you can overlap them a little bit now to seal gaps easier
//You can now right click to rotate structures for the one guy without a mousewheel :D
//Servers can now specify a minimum amount of players for airdrops to occur ( default 40 )
//Fixed shotguns not damaging deployables
//Fixed some serverside performance issues
//Fixed explosive charges not dealing direct damage to structure components - They will now deal their damage regardless of their position relative to what they are placed directly on
//Fixed explosions doing too much damage to things with compound colliders (shelters namely)
//Fixed weapon animations while aiming for some weapons (Shotgun)
//Kevlar is harder to produce
//Increased headshot damage multiplier
//Added Bolt Action Rifle
//Weapons reload automatically if you try and fire them empty
//Added aim sway to some weapons, experimental
//Added a small 'lazy aim' cone for weapons
//Made ammo much harder to craft
//You can place stuff on the road now

Headshots with an M4 should kill or drat near do so even with kevlar.

Bolt action rifles :allears:

Being a giant dick and plastering roads with toll booths and lining them with spike walls is on my list of things to do. Or maybe even having disposable forts with bridges and shooting platforms over the road in chokepoints. Possibilities :dance:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

I'm sad to see that ammo will be harder to craft now but it was sorely needed, as it stands now, I never have want for ammo and anyone who has a gun can basically spew it forever. Ammo should totally be very rare, and deciding to use it or not should factor largely into whether or not you engage in a fight.

Right now, if I see another human, I shoot at him. I mean why not? I have over 500 rounds waiting for me in my shack.

Can I shotgun down wood doors?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Can I shotgun down wood doors?

I didn't see anything like that, it would make for a whole mess of annoying hilarious situations where some starving naked man is in his wooden shack and out of nowhere someone just shotguns the door open before shotgunning him open as well.

Hopefully they'll add bullet penetration at some point so that wood walls aren't invulnerable to small arms fire. Maybe reduce damage by a lot so that even if you hit someone its not an easy kill? If you have a group of guys with M4's (but no C4) you should be able to surround the shack or whatever and just magdump on it and hope you hit whoever's inside. Same goes for if you're inside and can see the guys creeping around outside, you should be able to shoot back at least without having to have windows for people to jump into.

Plus if ammo is super rare it's not as feasible as it would be now to just bring 1000 rounds each and pour them all into a defender's fort and hope they all die before bothering with the C4.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
One shotting dudes in the head with an M4 won't be that easy because M4's wont be that plentiful. The M4 is a high end military grade weapon, I expect there will be many bolt actions and pipe shotguns instead. Patch looks awesome! I'll make sure the server gets the update asap.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Oh hey Nuckmaster, I offer up my mumble for anyone and everyone who wants to play. I will make a dedicated rust channel with server subchannels.

vx38.commandchannel.com
Port: 31463

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Oh hey Nuckmaster, I offer up my mumble for anyone and everyone who wants to play. I will make a dedicated rust channel with server subchannels.

vx38.commandchannel.com
Port: 31463

Oh cool will add to OP. thanks!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Is there a way to build a tower? I'd like to build a tower.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Is there a way to build a tower? I'd like to build a tower.

Yes. When you're building with proper wooden walls and floors and pillars on a foundation you can stack them up and use stairs to go between levels.

Last time I played just about the only things anyone built were the starter shacks, and giant fuckoff towers.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

I played this for about 8 hours yesterday, it's quite addicting once you get in the groove of things. In my first couple tries I was spawned in the middle of nowhere, and exhausted my energy trying to find food resources, to the point of having to suicide and start again. Keeping my stuff is a real challenge, it's nice to see a game that does not allow people to horde and build impregnable mega fortresses so easily. If you want to keep all your poo poo in the games current state you have to work somewhat hard, lots of inventory management and moving your stuff and houses around.

Also I treat this as a real post apocalyptic simulator. When you see two naked men running down another naked man while one shoots him with a shotgun and the other hits him with a rock, all for a can of tuna, you get a grim feeling of things to come.

Overall it gets boring after awhile, hopefully some new features/items and tweaks will increase it's lifespan and replay value. One of the greater moments was trying to find my buddy on the server, talking to him via team speak. It took almost an hour, there is no compass or anything. The maps on the wiki sites are alright but still not that helpful as you can never get a large overhead view of everything. Once you get a knowledge of the landmarks and find out the road is a big "8", it becomes a bit easier. I wish you didn't have to pay $20 to experience it for a few hours first.

RecoomesSexyRear fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 19, 2013

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Gone Baptizin posted:

When you see two naked men running down another naked man while one shoots him with a shotgun and the other hits him with a rock, all for a can of tuna, you get a grim feeling of things to come.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only dongs.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Yes! The dong is strong with that one.

The game feels a bit lacking in direction at the moment but as the devs add stuff to it it's going to become better and better. Right now it's an incredible human stupidity generator, and it is amazing.

Enwelle Anthem
Dec 1, 2013
I think i'm going to buy it, saw the game yesterday on Steam and i really liked it, i hope i won't have a super high ping on goon server :( (europe here...)
EDIT : Can't find the server, is there any way to direct connect to the server?

Enwelle Anthem fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 19, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
So Garry recommended due to the changes in balance to the game that all servers should wipe, official servers are of course wiped. I think Nuck should wipe too, I mean plenty of people are learning the ropes and babby's first base may have been breached badly and people learn to make better bases. A fresh start on a new build would be pretty good, coming from someone who has absolutely everything stockpiled on this server too so I wouldn't mind it honestly to keep it fresh with the new builds.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Fresh start could be cool yeah, but I'm guessing we're going to do a lot of those in the coming weeks with all the changes coming.

Oh hey, here is the official changelog for the patch:

playrust.com posted:

Here is a change log :

Doors will no longer fly away
You can’t stand inside doors and shoot out any longer
Fixed Metal Doors not setting their rotation properly
Shelters can be placed closer together than they used to be able to
Resource nodes respawning should no longer cause server-wide lag
Deployables placed on inside (new) shelters should no longer destroy when the shelter is destroyed
Added some missing death effects for shelters and doors
Should be easier to squeeze sleeping bags into shelters now
Spike walls can be placed closer together, you can overlap them a little bit now to seal gaps easier
You can now right click to rotate structures for the one guy without a mousewheel :D
Servers can now specify a minimum amount of players for airdrops to occur – airdrop.min_players ( default 50 )
Fixed shotguns not damaging deployables
Fixed some serverside performance issues
Fixed explosive charges not dealing direct damage to structure components – They will now deal their damage regardless of their position relative to what they are placed directly on
Fixed explosions doing too much damage to things with compound colliders (shelters namely)
Fixed weapon animations while aiming for some weapons (Shotgun)
Fixed exploit allowing you to place deployables in mid-air
Fixed being able to put wood boxes inside people/yourself
You can place stuff on the road now
Kevlar is harder to produce
Made ammo much harder to craft
Research kits are now one time use
Increased headshot damage multiplier
Added Bolt Action Rifle
Weapons now play a dry fire sound when you try and fire them empty
Added aim sway to some weapons, experimental
Added a small ‘lazy aim’ cone for weapons
Shotgun and bolt action rifle no longer stay aimed while actioning the weapon
Small Stash is a default blueprint, and is easier to craft
Spike wall returns more damage
Spike wall has more melee armor
New death screen (WIP)

Known Issues :

Lasersight and Flashlight go off to the left on the Bolt Action Rifle unless a silencer is also added
Death messages are weird and can tell you a bear killed you with a shotgun or something random like that
Dry fire sound plays on last shot of pistol
Nudity and Censoring will display as pants, it’s being worked on.

So, huge research kit change that we didn't see coming and no more dongs for the time being.

Absorbs Smaller Goons fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Enwelle Anthem posted:

I think i'm going to buy it, saw the game yesterday on Steam and i really liked it, i hope i won't have a super high ping on goon server :( (europe here...)
EDIT : Can't find the server, is there any way to direct connect to the server?

Hey, I'm also from europe, and ping is never been over 200 and no detectable lag on my side. I have lovely orange adsl internet (6mb/s down).

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
A giant evil radiation wave has swept Rust Island! All structures have melted and our memory has vanished! As has our clothes, and weapons. The madness!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

This looks really similar to the Wasteland mod for ARMA2/3, except with a better building mechanic, wildlife, and crafting. Is that a pretty accurate assessment?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Do you still have to get a beta key from Facepunch if you want to run a dedicated server? I'd like to set one up but SteamCMD keeps telling me I don't have a subscription, and some older posts on the steam forums seem to indicate that you need to get authorized by Facepunch to run something.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cidrick posted:

Do you still have to get a beta key from Facepunch if you want to run a dedicated server? I'd like to set one up but SteamCMD keeps telling me I don't have a subscription, and some older posts on the steam forums seem to indicate that you need to get authorized by Facepunch to run something.

Facepunch only allows pre-selected hosts to run servers. Got to rent from people as of now.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I've been playing on the West Coast goon server. My friend badgered me to try it, whilst I explained how dumb it looked. Boy was I wrong. We played all night.

We are paranoid hill-folk who come down to kill mans at night. I guess we would be open to other paranoid hill-goons to join our nudist colony. We're very trigger happy. I'm pretty sure I put a few holes in fastlikecheetah while he was being chased by zombies, unarmed and naked. And I'm the tamest of our crew.

Sorry about that, Overture. :glomp:

E: Are you planning on wiping the West Coast sever as well?

Snaxx fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 19, 2013

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Snaxx posted:

E: Are you planning on wiping the West Coast sever as well?

Curious about this as well, wouldn't mind really but would like to know.

Also join us Snaxx, find me, Woofington, and Ziggy Stardust. Together we can rule this server! We like to go around, surround newbies with guns drawn, and ask them trivia questions. If they get it right we give them cooked food, if they get it wrong we shoot them dead. If they get it right we also ask them if they would like to "risk it all and keep playing".

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

ScienceAndMusic posted:

We like to go around, surround newbies with guns drawn, and ask them trivia questions. If they get it right we give them cooked food, if they get it wrong we shoot them dead. If they get it right we also ask them if they would like to "risk it all and keep playing".

Haha, that's awesome. We will be in touch.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Simply amazing community this game has.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Welp, that clinches it, I'm going to be a psychopath now.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

So the latest patch got rid of nudity? Is there a way to turn off the censor?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

NuckmasterJ posted:

A giant evil radiation wave has swept Rust Island! All structures have melted and our memory has vanished! As has our clothes, and weapons. The madness!

All clothes except pants, which have become permanently fused to you. The horror!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

We like to go around, surround newbies with guns drawn, and ask them trivia questions. If they get it right we give them cooked food, if they get it wrong we shoot them dead. If they get it right we also ask them if they would like to "risk it all and keep playing".

This sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

GaylordButts posted:

All clothes except pants, which have become permanently fused to you. The horror!

This sounds amazing.

Join us in either our mumble or on the Rust - West Coast goon server for shenangians! Also whoever runs that server please reset it!

• Locked thread