Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lblitzer posted:

Wait are you talking about that giant shack we had on some mountain top and those guys came and tried blowing our front door but instead we opened it for them and trapped them inside?

I vaguely remember they surrounded us and were picking us off one by one from other clifftops, but we had that dedicated room for sleeping bags.

That happened after the server was wiped for the one we were talking about, this one was in (I want to say) French Valley up on a hill between the roads.

This shack. This lovely little shack.

According to my records, this shack withstood 15+ C4 blasts. The outer walls insulate the inner part, so it takes at least two C4 to even get in the place. I built a very simple version on the reddit server after getting tired of Detroit overpowering everything. Now, these redditors are pretty big care bears, they had massive buildings built into the sides of mountains but lacked any actual skill at combat, hence our superiority and ability to get away with such a simple building for so long. Seriously, this piece of poo poo was so bad that Kizurue just built his half of the building next to mine and we had to blow out a wall with C4 just so things wouldn't go screwy and we could walk around freely (this was before door sharing was implemented).

Inside was just a couple big crates, crafting tables, and about four sleeping bags a piece. We had the foresight to both build near mostly uncontested resource nodes and to stock up on raw materials rather than building gigantic wooden phalluses into the sky. This will come into play later.

So we're minding our own business, building up some stuff, when a naked runs by. We, of course, double tap him in the head and continue on our way. Lo and behold, a few minutes later four pubbies come rushing out with bows and guns to try and catch us.

At this point the shack didn't have any defenses, the walls lacked the buffer areas and the spikes in the photo (which we stole off a corpse, btw, they were going to try and bar us in) weren't in place. It would have been easy for them to blow a wall and kill us. We couldn't even help each other without going outside since we were still in seperate buildings.

But no, pubbies are loving dumb. They blow the metal door rather than the wooden wall, only to find that the doors were two deep. One more C4 ticks down on the interior door, but it doesn't work. They leave to find more and the doors get replaced and repaired.

The next time we hear them coming and get out on the walls, blowing them away. Tagged three and got some decent military gear, one gets away after running around the rocks a lot.

Luckily we were able to find C4 and blow out that wall, as well as put up the shooting platform on the top and make the buffer walls. This was also when we jumped into the Detroit mumble to pull some goons in to help, eventually getting three (?) more people by the end, but for a while it was just three people.

After sniping some pubbies out of the valley and taking their stuff, night falls and another pubby wave comes at us from a huge building to the north that they built into the wall. We knew that they were there because they tried to leg it after losing two of their guys last time and we chased them halfway back to their base, or at least far enough to see the gigantic eyesore of the fortress they had. So they came back, and this time they had the mental capacity to blow the wooden walls instead of the doors. One wall goes down and two goons inside fill the air with lead while I hastily crafted a new wooden wall from all the raw materials we had saved up. Once we threw up the wall we heard another ticking, but hey! They didn't destroy the wall, they just damaged it. So with an inventory full of wood from crafting we repaired the wall to full while they scrambled around for another C4. Tick tick tick, boom, wall's still there. Repaired it again. They give up.

Morning comes and they attempt to raid us again by taking potshots at us as we leave to go out hunting. We quickly dispatch them because they can't shoot for poo poo, or take cover for poo poo, or run for poo poo. I personally took one out with a pistol because he was so focused on the guy in our sniper's nest that he didn't hear me coming.

Long story short, they tried again and again to kill us, failing every time. For some reason they just couldn't understand that even if they managed to breach the walls faster than we could repair them they would still have to deal with several angry and well armed goons in that little shack.

After a while I was back in the shack after dying to something or another, with everyone else still out hunting pubbies in the south. As I grabbed gear out of a chest I hear someone say "Dreamship!" over in-game VOIP. This was confusing, because all the goons were in mumble. So I turn around and there's a naked standing there, with the previously shut doors wide open behind him. I flip out and reflexively drill him in the chest with my shotgun, killing him. Then he gets back up and starts clipping through the floor! I freak and start calling hax in chat, but it turns out that the dude was actually an admin.

Later everyone came back to the house, bearing the weight of many murdered pubbies probably, and gather outside. And here comes another naked up the hill! It's the admin again, and he wants to talk to our merry band. He repeatedly tells us to shoot him; eventually we do while being careful not to shoot him in the face. That's that for a bit, we continue to murder things.

Suddenly the world flips and I am teleported over near hanger, where I immediately receive a killing blow to the face. Turns out the admin wanted to test us for godmode, and that's the best way to do it. I didn't know it at the time, of course, so I get pissed off and yell at him in chat. Later he comes back to the base with all my stuff and apologizes, finally explaining that he's been getting a lot of reports about our little group. Okay, sure, whatever. He was actually a cool admin, I am saddened he is wasted on Reddit.

Game goes on, we start roaming around looking for people to murder. Full kevlar, nakeds, anyone. By now we are entirely kitted out, so that's really all there is to do.

Right before the server wipe the admin comes back to us, saying that he keeps on getting reports and what the hell is going on. We try to explain the situation, and also some super-jumping hackers we say earlier, but in the end it didn't matter. The server was being wiped, and it was time to go. He gave everyone on the server a Super-Admin Bow that fired giant musical arrows, which was grand, and then he did this.

Twice, actually. It crashed the server the first time (pictured), they had to reboot and try it again with fewer planes. We did one more lap around the map just to see everything, and called it a day.

In the end, we killed a ton of pubbies and pissed off a lot of people. And at the very end, right before the server was wiped, someone broke into Le Chateau de Goon and stole all our stuff, despite the fact that it was literally raining good gear. I suspected the guys that were trying all along. Good job, assholes. Enjoy that empty building for the next five minutes.

Good times.

(Story may have embellishments/errors because this was a while ago, but it is still pretty accurate)

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
The day we destroyed Detroit was pretty fun. Cars, grenades, c4, airdrops, the whole city burned. It was terrifying.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers
I miss Detroit/Goonion as well, probably the most fun i've ever had in a game. I took days off work just to keep going. It's my 2nd most played game on steam and I only played while goonion/detroit was kicking

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Finally started playing on a modded server that allowed base tp, 10x resources, and crazy rad animal/rad chest loot.

And...this.

This is how the game is supposed to be played. PVP and raiding other people's bases while they're there is so much fun I could probably put another hundred hours into it just playing like this. Also, active admins banning hackers and the lower pings are really nice when compared to the official servers.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Clawing your way from nothing in the midst of a hundred players to reach the point that you are untouchable and can preemptively raid anyone before they gain any momentum is actually the way the game is meant to be played.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just rented a rust server me and my mates are getting close to 1000 hours and are getting sick of ether hackers or bad admins

I wont spam my server, but are there any good players here who I could would be interested in modding, I would happy trade some money to get a few hours on the day to babysit the thing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

max4me posted:

I just rented a rust server me and my mates are getting close to 1000 hours and are getting sick of ether hackers or bad admins

I wont spam my server, but are there any good players here who I could would be interested in modding, I would happy trade some money to get a few hours on the day to babysit the thing.

Basically no one is playing anymore.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Anyone else enjoy their weekly updates? Seeing a giant rock cock shooting what's presumably water as something official made me laugh.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Kizurue posted:

Anyone else enjoy their weekly updates? Seeing a giant rock cock shooting what's presumably water as something official made me laugh.

I loving love the weekly updates. The graphics look amazing and every week I'm blown away by how original everything feels. And the idea that every server will be playing on a completely different, completely random map is really cool too.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I can't wait for the experimental branch to get full featured so I can start playing again. I have absolutely no interest in the shitstain that is the main branch, currently.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers
I'm hoping when the experimental branch gets full featured there is a bit of a revival in goons playing.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Rearden posted:

I'm hoping when the experimental branch gets full featured there is a bit of a revival in goons playing.

Yeah, when it becomes the main branch, someone should bang out a new OP. I'd definitely play with goons again, great times.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Indeed, the revival of 'gibe de pusi b0ss' and The Thunderdome would be a great way to kickstart the new era of hit mans in dong with rocks.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
As soon as they start feeding in the new stuff they're working on, I'll be back on it. The concept art they've been producing for armour and housing looks great.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I do wonder how they are going to handle the updates for the later stuff. If they are doing it continually in small amounts like they are now then things will be harder to get back into. I have seen betas like this where everyone will "Oh that is kinda cool but I am going to wait until the next patch because it is coming soon and everything will get wiped"-d to death

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

rear end-Haggis posted:

Indeed, the revival of 'gibe de pusi b0ss' and The Thunderdome would be a great way to kickstart the new era of hit mans in dong with rocks.

*whispering* and my bow!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Any goons play on the UK Rustify server?

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't for the life of me get my mic to work on Rust. I've tried everything and it never works. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Duro posted:

I can't for the life of me get my mic to work on Rust. I've tried everything and it never works. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Rust's VOIP is proximity based and is kind of hosed up. You basically have to be kissing someone to have them hear you consistently. So it might not be on your end

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Rust's VOIP is proximity based and is kind of hosed up. You basically have to be kissing someone to have them hear you consistently. So it might not be on your end

I just never get the mic icon pop up on the screen when I press the button assigned to voice chat.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Duro posted:

I just never get the mic icon pop up on the screen when I press the button assigned to voice chat.

Me neither.
I lost count of how many times someone blasted me because they'd try to talk to me, and from their perspective, I wasn't answering.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
So I just picked this up on steam.

What servers are still active?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Tiki Powers posted:

So I just picked this up on steam.

What servers are still active?

Goon servers? None are around anymore, that ship sailed months ago. There's an experimental dev branch in the works with new content but it's still kinda wonky. Once its a bit more stable with more content people will probably pick it up again.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Huh, so why did Rust seemingly die out (on SA)?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Everyone is waiting for the new version which, incidentally, is nearing "baseline" according to the latest dev blog.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
How is it not playable now? What are people waiting on exactly? Gary said that people should be playing now from what I understand.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

im gay posted:

How is it not playable now? What are people waiting on exactly? Gary said that people should be playing now from what I understand.

Last I played there was a goon civil war, but I think primarily people just bumrushed the limited alpha and burned out. Once the new engine is up to scratch I can see a resurgence in goonery happening.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

im gay posted:

After you've changed servers a hundred times because of wipes, hackers or crooked admins, it gets a bit stale. There's also been no new content added for ages now so it's even more stale.

The new version still has stuff that doesn't work or isn't in the game yet.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Azzents posted:

Once the new engine is up to scratch I can see a resurgence in goonery happening.

Oh, it's happening. I know I'm not the only one who had a blast last winter.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Man it seems like these early Alphas are hotbeds for hackers. Was tired of getting lit up on DayZ SA and looking around for other survival games.

kruna
Jun 6, 2006
I missed the rapture.
drat I dropped into this thread to...well I'll see you fuckers once experimental is playable enough.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Once it is more playable, I'm gonna be careful not to overplay it. Hopefully they'll come up with a game model that doesn't get so burned out so quickly.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I read their development blogs religiously and will start playing again as soon as the new engine is at least as far along as the old one. Love rust and can't wait for it to get to where it needs to be.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I built a vanilla legacy server this morning. It's empty now but you're free to nudemanrock murder each other on it if you see fit.

remote.insomniacs.biz:28015

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Bishyaler posted:

I built a vanilla legacy server this morning. It's empty now but you're free to nudemanrock murder each other on it if you see fit.

remote.insomniacs.biz:28015

I'm dumb and hosed up the ports yesterday. Should work now, enjoy.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bishyaler posted:

I'm dumb and hosed up the ports yesterday. Should work now, enjoy.

I'd be surprised if anyone noticed (or played).

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Spookydonut posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone noticed (or played).

You're probably right, but the server files are now public so it seemed like a fun project. I still enjoy the game and haven't found anything else that really creates that atmosphere of being terrified of other players.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bishyaler posted:

You're probably right, but the server files are now public so it seemed like a fun project. I still enjoy the game and haven't found anything else that really creates that atmosphere of being terrified of other players.

That attitude of "Well... this guy hasn't attacked me yet, but I'm not going to let him follow me, I'll follow him".

Then later you notice they are holding some sort of weapon you'd like so you smash their head in when they lower their guard for a moment.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Spookydonut posted:

That attitude of "Well... this guy hasn't attacked me yet, but I'm not going to let him follow me, I'll follow him".

Then later you notice they are holding some sort of weapon you'd like so you smash their head in when they lower their guard for a moment.

The thing that really gets to me is that period between having a shack and having a 1 room house with a metal door. Crouching deadly still in the corner of your home at night, listening to every foot step and distant gunshot. Maybe they won't notice your shack is occupied...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bishyaler posted:

The thing that really gets to me is that period between having a shack and having a 1 room house with a metal door. Crouching deadly still in the corner of your home at night, listening to every foot step and distant gunshot. Maybe they won't notice your shack is occupied...

I would chop down every shack I found with a closed door just for shits and giggles. You're more likely to survive by hiding in the mountains than sitting in a shack.

• Locked thread