Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Then you stumble across things like this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Haven't played this game since May but that dev blogs are still worth checking in on every week.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

AwwJeah posted:

Haven't played this game since May but that dev blogs are still worth checking in on every week.

Taking brain-bucket a bit literally, eh?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

AwwJeah posted:

This is a beautiful thing.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
What is great is that they are not using hitboxes, so there are several helmets that they showed, and anytime you'd shoot part of the actual helmet, damage would either be reduced or ignored. But say you shoot a bullet through a slit cut into a sheet of metal, as is one of the helms, it would be full damage since you are hitting their head directly.

Very interesting way to go about things and it means that armor isn't just a factor of Bigger Numbers, but also physical coverage.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am absolutely loving these dev updates. I am not playing this game at all because I want it to be closer to fleshed out but god drat is the progress they are making promising!

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
The triangle foundations are amazing.

I'm imagining a proper wooden wall around a new GoonCity now :allears:

Also I hope they put in stone walls as an intermediate between wood and metal, but who knows when/if they'll get around to it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah, just binged on 6 months of dev updates as well. I'm really excited to try the new version with y'all when it comes out. GoonCity will rise again.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I keep seeing this game pop up, and now I"m thinking of getting it, is it worth it at this point? are people still playing it?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Notinghamington posted:

I keep seeing this game pop up, and now I"m thinking of getting it, is it worth it at this point? are people still playing it?

I don't think a ton of goons are currently playing (we're waiting for the team to completely revamp the game) but development is going strong at http://playrust.com and if you don't mind not playing with goons people do play. This "Factions" server sounds pretty cool.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 20, 2014

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Wow those devblogs look pretty great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tres Burritos posted:

Wow those devblogs look pretty great.

Been thinking the game thing. Installed and loaded up the game for a few minutes last night and it's looking great. Once they add some polish, it is going to be amazing. If you guys haven't loaded up the experimental build, it's definitely worth it, just to check it out.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers
That Factions server sounds hilarious, sounds like Detroit would fit in there nicely.. We always need other groups of players to shoot at.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Been messing around on the dev servers with a friend and we've been infiltratin bases and killin nakeds like the good old days. Not quite there yet but getting drat close.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers
Has anyone tried Life is Feudal? Seems a lot like Rust.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/290080/

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Rearden posted:

It seemed quite clunky when I was watching some people stream it, and with a decently high price for an early access game I'm probs gonna give it like half a year to improve before I look at it.

Apparently if you buy it now you get "credits" to use during the MMO version of the game, whatever that means.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

kcer posted:

It seemed quite clunky when I was watching some people stream it, and with a decently high price for an early access game I'm probs gonna give it like half a year to improve before I look at it.

Apparently if you buy it now you get "credits" to use during the MMO version of the game, whatever that means.

Credits and MMO makes it sound like micortansactions.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Are any Goons running an Experimental server? it seems really fun!

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

kcer posted:

Well, if that doesn't just set off all my bullshit alarms at once.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers

kcer posted:

I sperged and bought it, you're assessment is on point. Has a ton of potential but doesn't capture the love I had for Rust. Runs like poo poo and PvP is broken so all you can do is Korean grind/craft.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Rearden posted:

I sperged and bought it, you're assessment is on point. Has a ton of potential but doesn't capture the love I had for Rust. Runs like poo poo and PvP is broken so all you can do is Korean grind/craft.

Took one for the team!

New Devblog is out, and one of the pertinent points is that they're now showing screenshots from the new version on the Steam storepage. They're really close to "releasing" it as the nominal version now.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I tried the experimental for the first time and how do I get out of windowed mode?

Also is this normal:

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Can not wait to get back in this game with you fools. Some of my best online gaming experience since PlanetSide 1.

Those raids we did streaming strange music in the middle of the nights like maniacs were some top quality gaming moments.

The game is looking better and better, I hope we can get all of the original group back together. I still have you all on steam.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Rearden posted:

I threw 40 bucks into a fire and gave it a try. It's pretty close to feature complete and there's a lot of stuff to do, but even the most basic functionality (server history, not crashing constantly, actually loading more than 40% of the time) is missing. If you can stand crashing continually and losing all your progress when you can't bookmark servers every few hours it's actually pretty fun. The crafting system lends itself to specialization and teamwork so a Ye Olde Detroit would work really, really well. We'd just need a server (and enough players dumb enough to spend $40 on this poo poo)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm patiently waiting for experimental, which is now main, to become somewhat feature complete. I could really use a good dose of Naked Murder Man Simulator 2014.

Edit: Even with all the other fun things done in the game, the thing I still miss the most is logging to rust and mumble, walking outside and firing off a variety of weapons in short bursts to simulate an attack and listening to everyone freak out in mumble. That and big piles of goons running around quizzing naked noobs.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 2, 2014

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I actually just played the experimental for a few hours and will probably be hoping on again. It's surprisingly playable and pretty fun. Few tips for people who are about to hope in and try it:

All doors and walls can be broken even with a rock, which is actually the second fasted tool to break in with. See here for a guide to see what rank each color means in terms of difficulty for walls and the respective times it takes to break them.

The pipe shotgun is animated but does not actually fire a projectile, don't use it. However all the other guns you don't need to reload with, they will automatically use the ammo in your inventory.

The Thompson does work but has no firing sound nor model so ultimate stealth gun? Use it like you did the bow in Legacy with a dot on your screen for accuracy.

To craft more keys for your doors you need 50 wood in your inventory per key.

To craft buildings first you make paper, then use the paper for the building design. When you have the design in your hands right click and the interaction menu will come up letting you select what it is you want to make, be that floors, walls, doorways or what not.

60 wood is the perfect amount for cooking meat, 100 will burn it.

When you want to drag and drop something the higher on the icon you grab the greater the quantity. So if you want to grab a few thousand wood make sure to grab near the top of the wood icon.

Any goons out there playing experimental have a preferred server?

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So I tried to play rust and I keep getting sent to the experimental

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
For anyone maybe considering that similar Life Is Feudal thing, it's in a bundle now for 28 bucks, which is still more than it should be but an improvement over 40. It's over on Indiegala: https://www.indiegala.com/epics

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

max4me posted:

So I tried to play rust and I keep getting sent to the experimental

Experimental is now the default. http://playrust.com/experimental-launches-by-default/

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
Experimental is fun so far. I was playing for a few hours until I got banned on the server I was on for playing Rust like the lawless free-for-all game that it is.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers

Does this mean it's as feature complete as legacy was?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rearden posted:

Does this mean it's as feature complete as legacy was?

Not quite, but it's pretty close. There is still a lot of tweaking and balancing, but in another few weeks I'd expect it to be on par or past the original build.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Is there any way to adjust graphical settings in-game now? All of the console commands I've found don't do anything anymore.

edit: Nevermind, it's F2. The first time I pressed it the game crashed. :v:

Phoix fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 4, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
The team also has a pretty decent reason for switching Experimental to default.

Garry posted:

I want to explain why we decided to make the switch. We know there’s still bugs, we know it’s not feature complete, we know we still have work to do.. but it had to happen. It gives us a kick up the arse. Now the bugs and the missing features are a million times more obvious and a million times more urgent to us. This is how we wanted to make the game from the start.. with lots of people playing it and giving constant feedback. We’re not saying it’s finished – we’re just saying we think it’s good enough to be our foundation.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Hopefully it's up to speed in time for the spawning of the Goonion

Winter is coming my friends

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
New default/experimental has a game-breaking bug that appears to crop up at random:

If you crash(or just leave the server normally) you won't be able to play again for some duration. You can connect, you can choose a spawn position(as appropriate), but you can't wake up and are trapped unable to play on that server.

Edit: Just played for a few hours on a community server where the bug can at least be bypassed by manually sleeping and waking again.

Experimental is a decent base so hopefully they don't do another start-from-scratch, but it's a ways to go. Gathering and building are both nicer than I remember from old-Rust, but there's a lot of scarcity. Wood is easy enough, minerals seem to crop up in random pockets out of the place, and animals are super rare. Combined with zany network stuff(getting smashed in the face from 20 feet away, dying from 100->0 to a wolf because it has perfect accuracy against me but I can't hit it despite it not moving, etc) it's kind of still a frustrating mess.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 5, 2014

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Cuntpunch posted:

New default/experimental has a game-breaking bug that appears to crop up at random:

If you crash(or just leave the server normally) you won't be able to play again for some duration. You can connect, you can choose a spawn position(as appropriate), but you can't wake up and are trapped unable to play on that server.

Edit: Just played for a few hours on a community server where the bug can at least be bypassed by manually sleeping and waking again.

Experimental is a decent base so hopefully they don't do another start-from-scratch, but it's a ways to go. Gathering and building are both nicer than I remember from old-Rust, but there's a lot of scarcity. Wood is easy enough, minerals seem to crop up in random pockets out of the place, and animals are super rare. Combined with zany network stuff(getting smashed in the face from 20 feet away, dying from 100->0 to a wolf because it has perfect accuracy against me but I can't hit it despite it not moving, etc) it's kind of still a frustrating mess.

I agree with a lot of this. If anything wood is now to easy to come by since each tree is worth 1000 and you can harvest it faster than wood piles. They must have just added in animals attacking because last night I walked around shanking bears with a knife and no aggression. For finding the animals you just need to go into the forested areas but I have never had an issue with hunger and sleepers seem to provide a pretty steady supply of human meat for consumption.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
The game is just about back at the point where I'm going to start playing it heavily again, I can feel it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I am very excited to kill and cook humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I can finally enjoy Rust again! Where do you guys play?

• Locked thread