Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Just lettin' ya'll know that video 3 of Psycho Waluigi is not available.

Edit: :synpa:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Dithiannim posted:

Do you have any suggestions? I tested a lot of the highest rated ones on zeldaclassic and they all pretty much have really bad conveyance and I end up wandering around until I find something to do. Which isn't that surprising since it's based off the original Zelda.

Well, like I said, all the fan games end up being overly long and with crazy ramped up difficulty. Recently I saw a stream of the Zelda Classic game "Hero of dreams" that was crazy ambitious and super difficult. There are things a little more in league with the spirit of this thread as well over on the ZC database (something I've been meaning to start messing with. Once I have more time maybe) Like one game that's apparently Mario vs. Santa for example.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!

Dithiannim posted:

Do you have any suggestions? I tested a lot of the highest rated ones on zeldaclassic and they all pretty much have really bad conveyance and I end up wandering around until I find something to do. Which isn't that surprising since it's based off the original Zelda.

I wish to see passed the first dungeon of Mega Man Dr. Wily's Revenge but my entire experience with Zelda Classics has been disappointment. Even highly rated quests like Link to Tortuga couldn't keep me from getting lost and losing interest. And if you stick with quests, they can pull huge dick moves on you. I was playing this quest, which was the second by some author, and in the eighth dungeon I ran into a stupidly difficult fight. It's been a while but it might have been two 4-headed gleeoks in a small room or something. (And I think it might have been a ZC-created monster that did double damage or shot continuous fire.) I finally gave up on that quest and that author at that point.

It's not even fun to mock bad quests. I was playing this quest after reading some stupid things the author did* and it became a chore. I had to set fire to a whole forest with the blue candle just to find the third dungeon, and the fourth or fifth dungeon had rooms filled with 3-5 blue patras**. I had to move to the DX version of the quest - which didn't have patras - to continue. I ended up mapping a good chunk of the drat game just so I could laugh at how bland it was.

I'd love to see one done for this thread but :shrug:.

* - He wanted to write a Zelda cartoon script, thought DIC still had the rights, some people humored him, made bad animations mocking his writing.

** - For non-Zelda 1 fans, you can only use a blue candle once on a screen, so if you need to burn a bush, you have to use the candle, walk to another screen, and come back and burn the next bush. In Zelda 1 there are no clues which bush needs to be burnt. Also, patras are these eye monsters that are sometimes surrounded by a spinning circle of smaller eyes. You have to kill the outer patras to get to the main one, which is challenging with only one group, but impossible with more than one.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The mentality of the 'Zelda Classic' community is, from what I've been told, 'harder = better'.

So you get crap with five identical bosses shoved in the same room. I think one of the ones that said person streamed had several different bosses, all in the same room. And several duplicates.

I wrote up a big list of my impressions on some horrible stuff on the zquest engine/quest maker or whatever the hell it's called. The thing you make Zelda Classic quests in. It's kind of long, and I'm not sure if anyone even wants to read it.

The short version is the terribleness of the interface explains why there are few if any good fangames made in Zelda Classic. And it doesn't appear to have any example quests that one can look at to see how. There appear to be no official tutorials, and the official site's tutorial link just links to a wiki page that is a bunch of dead links. And the only one that works is a 'zscript' tutorial The official site also doesn't link to the current version or even imply that it's not the newest version.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well, I downloaded Rock Force because this LP makes it look so drat good.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Kgummy posted:

The mentality of the 'Zelda Classic' community is, from what I've been told, 'harder = better'.

So you get crap with five identical bosses shoved in the same room. I think one of the ones that said person streamed had several different bosses, all in the same room. And several duplicates.

I wrote up a big list of my impressions on some horrible stuff on the zquest engine/quest maker or whatever the hell it's called. The thing you make Zelda Classic quests in. It's kind of long, and I'm not sure if anyone even wants to read it.

The short version is the terribleness of the interface explains why there are few if any good fangames made in Zelda Classic. And it doesn't appear to have any example quests that one can look at to see how. There appear to be no official tutorials, and the official site's tutorial link just links to a wiki page that is a bunch of dead links. And the only one that works is a 'zscript' tutorial The official site also doesn't link to the current version or even imply that it's not the newest version.

About that impressions list:

:justpost:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Am I doing something wrong if the health/weapon pickups aren't giving me anything, or is it just a bug and I should download an earlier version?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't try to act like someone you are!

Megaman Rock Force #6: Copy Cane
(Heavy Sigh and Simply Simon)

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So...I picked Charade Man for my first stage. That bit with the ghost platforms was hell. At least I had spikes on 1/4 damage.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the worst stage of the bunch. It felt super weak compared to the rest of them so far, at least.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dithiannim posted:

The actual Zelda Classic site is a pretty bad spot for resources about the program actually.

https://www.purezc.net is the site that actually has the good stuff. A database of quests that's actually useful, a ton of resources, and an actually helpful community that will answer questions and has provided A whole lot of tutorials.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kgummy posted:

To keep things as short as possible, the program has been around a long time and the responsibility for updating it has changed hands many more times than can be counted. The original game and quest maker interface was made using the Allegro game library (which sucks) and its proprietary GUI tools and designed for a 320x240 screen/window for whatever reason. Subsequent additions and updates to the code simply grafted on additions and shaky compromised solutions to this original design because no one involved either had the skill or the time to scrap everything and start of scratch, and the whole thing became sort of a feedback loop where the more stuff that got grafted onto the original limited engine and GUI, the more trouble it would be to start over and get back it back to its original functionality. Add to this a high degree of feature creep, the lack of organization in the code itself, and the lack of continuity between developers over the past decade+ and you get the problems you mentioned where the quest making interface is nearly impenetrable and can't be used by anyone other than one with immense dedication or one who got used to its idiosyncrasies back when things were still pretty simple. It's a dead end, which is why everyone involved currently just wants to finally start over from scratch, if such an endeavor is even worth it. Also there's little to no included documentation and the official website is, as was stated, out of date and mostly unhelpful.

Still, not every quest is of the "crazy super hard" variety (some people are just into that sort of thing anyway). There's more than enough worthy material for this thread though should someone go that route...

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
That actually explains pretty much all of my complaints, I think.

Is it even using whatever the newest version of that game library is? I get the feeling that it isn't.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kgummy posted:

That actually explains pretty much all of my complaints, I think.

Is it even using whatever the newest version of that game library is? I get the feeling that it isn't.

I think Allegro broke backwards-compatibility as of version 5? I think? So no, unfortunately.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
HAY GUYZ! CHECK OUT MY POKEMON!

LET'S PLAY POKEMON 3D!
(Heavy Sigh, Dithiannim, I am the MOON, and Snakeman)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it an attempt at that 3D multiplayer Pokemon people keep dreaming about, or is that a Nintendo-sponsored project to get people off the idea?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Is it an attempt at that 3D multiplayer Pokemon people keep dreaming about, or is that a Nintendo-sponsored project to get people off the idea?
Do you really think that's Nintendo-sponsored?

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

LET'S PLAY POKEMON 3D![/url] (Heavy Sigh, Dithiannim, I am the MOON, and Snakeman)

Multiplayer for this game does work and we're trying to find out a time after the holidays for a bunch of us to play this awful game.

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

I wish to see passed the first dungeon of Mega Man Dr. Wily's Revenge but my entire experience with Zelda Classics has been disappointment. Even highly rated quests like Link to Tortuga couldn't keep me from getting lost and losing interest. And if you stick with quests, they can pull huge dick moves on you. I was playing this quest
It's not even fun to mock bad quests. I was playing this quest after reading some stupid things the author did* and it became

Sigh and I played a bit of the Megaman one. It's really boring, but it does have a lot of work and effort put into it. It's just incredibly tedious.
Played a bit of Link to Tortuga and quit and most of the highly rated quests aren't any better.

I also played this and this but they are also really boring.

...I think Zeldaclassic is just really awful altogether. Not even in an entertaining awful kind of way.

Dithiannim fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 28, 2013

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Endorph posted:

Do you really think that's Nintendo-sponsored?
In deep deep secret :tinfoil:

Can you throw your balls at other players in MP?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

SelenicMartian posted:

In deep deep secret :tinfoil:

Can you throw your balls at other players in MP?

That and so much more.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
That's some quality ploishing. Nice work!

FiscalTortoise
Mar 10, 2013
I wonder why they went with the decision that missed pokeballs should explode like shattered glass. One of many amazing design choices . I'm excited (?) to see the multiplayer of this .

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Heavy Sigh posted:

HAY GUYZ! CHECK OUT MY POKEMON!

LET'S PLAY POKEMON 3D!
(Heavy Sigh, Dithiannim, I am the MOON, and Snakeman)

I swear to god, this game is "The Room" of Pokemon. It is so astronomically bad that, as a result, it was absolutely hilarious and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Dithiannim posted:

Multiplayer for this game does work and we're trying to find out a time after the holidays for a bunch of us to play this awful game.

Abso-loving-lutely. With a game like this, you cannot have just one video. I honestly can't wait until that day comes. We're going to give this game's multiplayer a stress test and see if it is as completely broken as the core game is.

It probably is.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I am so down for doing multiplayer for Pokemon 3D. Where do I get this game so that we can all take turns making our pokemons screech at each other?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
At least face your end with some bravery, would you?

Megaman Rock Force #7: Shining Star

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
This game is awful I am not really sorry either for whatever reason.

Magical Crusaders Matagi Magica (with FlamingRok, HiipFire and Heavy Sigh)

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
So I guess that's why level designers exist? To stop that from happening?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
So does this pre-date Grief Syndrome or did that comparison exist at launch? Because Grief Syndrome was an actually good fangame that was fun to play.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

So does this pre-date Grief Syndrome or did that comparison exist at launch?

Not sure if they are compared with each other too much. This game was quite sloppily made, but somehow managed to get featured on the wiki.

If you really need the proof...

I'd say this game is on par with the lovely JRPG on the same page.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingRok posted:

Not sure if they are compared with each other too much. This game was quite sloppily made, but somehow managed to get featured on the wiki.

To be honest, I'd be willing to bet they'd list literally anything that called itself a Madoka fan game. This is the same wiki that puts baseless random fan speculation on the main pages right next factual descriptions of things.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Holy poo poo that game is a failure on every conceivable level. It was just as lovely at being faithful to the source material as it was at being a playable game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hey now, Madoka Magica is a great show. :colbert:

That game is something though. It's completely terrible in every way, but it seems like one of those games where you see the desperate crying throes of something kinda decent and fun that just doesn't break out because there was zero skill or extra effort involved in its production, kind of like a six-year old trying to draw the Mona Lisa. That's the distinction between just a normal bad game and your typical Awful Fangame I guess.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Hey now, Madoka Magica is a great show. :colbert:

That game is something though. It's completely terrible in every way, but it seems like one of those games where you see the desperate crying throes of something kinda decent and fun that just doesn't break out because there was zero skill or extra effort involved in its production, kind of like a six-year old trying to draw the Mona Lisa.

One positive I have is that the game controls okay. That's literally the only positive. But yes, definitely compared to other Magical Girl shows, Madoka Magica is fantastic.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Let's not talk about anime.

Pokemon Red White and Blue

Instead we should talk about saving animlas

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBLOODY!

SONIC GENERATIONS
(With El Generico, majormonotone, and Heavy Sigh)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Heavy Sigh posted:

SONIC GENERATIONS

Can I get a refund on 2014? I haven't opened it yet and I still have the receipt.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

SONIC GENERATIONS

Oh my god I remember this. It's goon-made. :allears:

The trailers are all gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRiOHfN7Bsc

Somebody please PM Hitlersaurus Christ and force him to actually release the final version. It's been nearly a year since he promised it. :argh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Dithiannim posted:

Let's not talk about anime.

Pokemon Red White and Blue

Instead we should talk about saving animlas

Grimace was made to sell milkshakes.

:goonsay:

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Kill the sick and bury the lame!

Megaman Rock Force #8: Tyrant Spin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Rock Force keeps proving itself great. It's nice to have a fangame that reminds us that fangames can actually be good.