Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Kill the sick and bury the lame!

Megaman Rock Force #8: Tyrant Spin
(Heavy Sigh and Simply Simon)

Oh god, gently caress those edge-jumps, though.

That is really my only complaint about this game; it is obsessed with edge-jumps with low ceilings and spikes.

Which, admittedly, become somewhat less deadly with spike damage turned down, so even there I can't complain too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That shield weapon looks fantastic, it fixes the issue of shields not having any range in a game about shooting things :haw:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Virus Outbreak is pretty ridiculous.

A lot of the subweapons in Rock Force are, really. But for being a shield weapon, Virus Outbreak is insane.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Virus Man was definitely the hardest Robot Master stage for me mostly because I completely failed to try using Phantom Fuse on the tanks or Charade Clone on the block puzzles. It made parts of the level quite a bit trickier.

It's still the best use of vanishing blocks in a Mega Man game I think; not obscenely irritating.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Virus Man was the robot master I picked first the first time I played Rock Force, didn't have any significant problems with it.

And that was with spike damage set to MM2 style in the extra options, the way it's supposed to be.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
You're just a piece of junk, and I've got the proof!

Megaman Rock Force #9: Ring Toss

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Heavy Sigh posted:

Okay now that's a twist I can get behind, with how he's handled things so far. I hope this means totally new levels and more weapons too!, the lack of those turn 3 and all these other fangames turn into a slog.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bellmaker posted:

Okay now that's a twist I can get behind, with how he's handled things so far. I hope this means totally new levels and more weapons too!, the lack of those turn 3 and all these other fangames turn into a slog.

I always liked the "remix 4 levels" concept in MM3. I mean, sure, I guess having two totally-unique sets of fortress levels involves more new content, but the remixed levels were a neat way to show the player how the level designers could step up the difficulty without relying on a new toolset -- and also a good way to get players to try out their weapons against the various enemies, since odds are they bustered their way through most of the levels the first time around.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I always liked the "remix 4 levels" concept in MM3. I mean, sure, I guess having two totally-unique sets of fortress levels involves more new content, but the remixed levels were a neat way to show the player how the level designers could step up the difficulty without relying on a new toolset -- and also a good way to get players to try out their weapons against the various enemies, since odds are they bustered their way through most of the levels the first time around.

Concept's fine, execution was lazy and terrible, Needle Man's stage is particularly egregious.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Heavy Sigh posted:

Megaman Rock Force #9: Ring Toss (Heavy Sigh and Simply Simon)

I have to ask this though: Can you still get any of the Beat parts from these last four stages before the Castle/Fortress stages? I'm only wondering as you have 3 of 4 at the moment.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yes.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
See Nitro Man, this is how you do a level!

Megaman Rock Force #10: Skull Smasher
(Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, I am the MOON)

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
That was the neatest stage by far. The drat eagles seemed like the only real downside.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Heavy Sigh posted:

Hydrogen Peroxide.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

That was the neatest stage by far. The drat eagles seemed like the only real downside.

Personally I'm much more willing to give that a pass since you're guaranteed to have the stealth ability at this point, and that power neutralizes how annoying those vultures.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Yeah, I really like the concept they've got going with these "mashup stages". Every stage has had a couple of neat tricks, and it's going to be a lot of fun to see how they work together.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sometimes, you're just too smart for your own good.

Megaman Rock Force #11: Thunder Reflector
(Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, and I am the MOON)

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
Virus Outbreak does actually block bullets. The only exception I've seen is the ceiling robots like those in Power Man's stage because their shots are so fast that they sometimes slip through the gaps in the shield. Taking out Sniper Joes by standing next to them with Virus Outbreak is somehow even more satisfying than making them explode, and it's unfortunate that this probably won't be demonstrated.

Oh, and the lasers in the sine wave sections? Instant death under MM1/MM2 spike rules. I died many times to the reverse wave until I figured out that I need to just keep jumping.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
It's definitely a fair fangame, with some moderately interesting boss designs (even if the patterns... aren't so great), but it sure is hard to say things when y'all cover it so well. Still, don't stop covering the game so well, it's interesting to hear!

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's do some sterilizing!

Megaman Rock Force #12: Bubonic Arm

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, as with any sort of virus a bacteriophage exploits specific characteristics of the bacteria that it can reproduce in to bind to their surface and infect them with its genetic material. Long story short all cells have proteins to allow things like interchange with the environment and detection of chemical gradients and the virus has proteins adapted to stick onto those and let it do its business.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
BURN IT DOWN!

Megaman Rock Force #13: Flare Stomp

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I am the MOONHeavy Sigh posted:

Are we gonna play a bunch of minigames?

well...

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I feel like I need some context for that picture. Is the one guy pointing directing the wave's assault, or the army's retreat? Why is there an army attacking lava in the first place? Also although I'm pretty sure it's supposed to depict a guy burning to death (like all the other guys burning to death) one of them appears to be surfing the wave. Which is way more awesome, so that's what I choose to believe is going on.

E: Oh wait, there's two armies. I think. That..doesn't help matters very much, actually.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

There's also a secret skeleton face in the lava wave. This is basically the best painting ever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's one army and the guy pointing is just pointing at the wave, I think? Like "oh holy poo poo, a giant wave of fire!" It's an MtG card that deals 4 damage to a player and all of their creatures, so two armies wouldn't make much sense. There's one bit that looks like a guy might be stabbing another guy with a spear, but the bit that looks like a spear is way too thin, there's an actual spear even further back from the POV and it's a lot thicker and a different colour. Maybe it is supposed to be a spear? Maybe it's just a fun little detail the artist threw in, like faced with a giant wave of fire this one guy went mad and stabbed another guy? Who can say.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rock Force has some pretty sweet names for the robot masters, have to say.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The pointing guy is obviously pointing at the surfer on the far end of the wave. He thinks that guy is way cooler, than the surfer to the left of the wave-skull-face.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

It's a single army being surprise-killed by a magical lava wave. Pointy dude is just being obnoxious.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I think he's all like "Run in the opposite direction of the flaming death wave, troops!" because he's a trumped up middle-manager who wants to seem important and officious. The plucky rebellious soldier who decided to surf the wave is his hated nemesis!

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Still doesn't explain the one guy who seems to be stabbing another soldier near the bottom of the frame. The best I can figure is that he got the order to retreat and decided, "Oh hell naw, Imma go kill me a lava wave!" and then stabbed his commanding officer for daring to get in his way.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Two armies fighting each other, and the pointing guy is the wizard summoning forth the lava wave.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think the commander guy is giving surfing lessons, and there is only one person who is going to graduate from the class.
"Well at least someone is paying attention to what I'm trying to teach."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Buried alive posted:

Still doesn't explain the one guy who seems to be stabbing another soldier near the bottom of the frame.
Imagine the stabby guy yell "Charlie don't surf!", and somebody else apologizing in the background, that the napalm makes the wind blow the wrong way.
And two hours later a magic carpet passes over the field of ashes with people chanting "Give me back my board, Lance".

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
I could kill you thirteen times over!

Megaman Rock Force #14: Bone Scythe

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Fanfictionitis claims yet another victim.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I can't really fault the idea of a stage that has no enemies, only instant-death.

But I sure as hell can be glad I forgot about the game and stopped playing before getting there.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Oh great, so he's just a Maverick. Fuckin' fanfiction writers.

Also wow, that stage looked like it was far below this game's usual level of quality. I guess it was a cute concept?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
"Instant death stage lol" is an idea that should be aborted from the second your synapses connect to form it. The only thing saving this one from being absurdly frustrating is that instant death equals four chances, further proving my theory that classic rules can suck my balls. As long as we don't get infinite checkpoints, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

Nah. That was in a thread found in GBS 1.0. The thread was about a guy who owned a bunch of dolls, and filmed the dolls sliding down sliding boards and other other odd things. He liked to complain about how uncute and terrible things were, and liked Pokemon, My Little Pony, and Rainbow Brite. He also made that weird Pokemon game you're talking about.

Uh, poo poo. I know I'm a month late on this, but do you have a link to the video of some goon playing it?

EDIT: Found it! :toot:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 17, 2014