Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I enjoyed All You Need Is Kill but apparently my dog did not because he ate the entire book.

It was an interesting book but this movie frankly looks like a non satirical star-troopers. I'd be interested to see how they inject any humor into this at all, I imagine there wont be much.

Also what in the hell is up with the scenes of them cruising on vehicles around London?

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am sure there will be humor. Bill Murray will show up and throw a groundhog at Tom Cruise then leave.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I kinda don't like it because Rita Vrataski looks like a 14 year old girl.

However, it's completely brutal. You see those spear bullets the Mimics spit out just liquefy civilians when they're hit by them and the Jackets don't really help that much against them.

Rita is a teenager. She lied about her age to get into the army. Half the description of her in the book is "she is so tiny and looks like a little girl" because loving Japan.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I was sort of annoyed by how it couldn't escape the cliches of its medium (if you know what I'm trying to say) when I saw that stuff. It's so disjointed and awkward because you're in this gritty military story in a gritty military base and suddenly...anime girl chef and anime girl mechanic and it just doesn't really fit right. It doesn't even seem like they're being set up as romantic interests, they're just...there. Although I haven't read the original light novel so maybe it had that cornball sort of stuff in it too, I have to doubt it and just assume that's lame manga stuff they put in there because it's a manga. I'm kinda curious to find out how faithful the manga adaptation is and how faithful the American live-action adaptation ends up being, so I might just check out the light novel.

No, all the lame manga stuff is in the original novel. Like straight up every single bit of it, including the wacky clumsy female mechanic with glasses who like toys. It's really noticeable in the novel because they're basically the only characters who get descriptions. Everyone else is lightly glossed over and then they make sure you know exactly how big the tits are on this marketable anime character.

The manga adaption (or what I've seen of it) seems pretty much word-for-word faithful. I don't imagine Edge of Tomorrow will be if just because there's a lot of stuff in the story which doesn't translate well to Tom Cruise In Power Armor, if not in the least because the protagonist of the original story is extremely fuckin' Japanese.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 15, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Jayisspecial posted:

I am not really sure where you get this impression from. He's very intense, even off screen, and half the time it seems like his emotions are something he needs to keep control of. He also seems like a very nice person.

This might sound weird, but if you haven't already watch his movies in HD. Some of the things that might have slipped by in standard definition or on VHS are more...apparent, especially in HD scenes with other actors. His face and eyes just don't quite do what they should be doing given the emotions he's trying to express.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Red Crown posted:

This might sound weird, but if you haven't already watch his movies in HD. Some of the things that might have slipped by in standard definition or on VHS are more...apparent, especially in HD scenes with other actors. His face and eyes just don't quite do what they should be doing given the emotions he's trying to express.

I'd love to see some examples. Not doubting you, I just know I wouldn't pick up on that kind of stuff because of the way I watch movies.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

The Walking Dad posted:

Also what in the hell is up with the scenes of them cruising on vehicles around London?
Cruise contractually has to ride a motorcycle in every movie he is in.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Red Crown posted:

That does sound weird. There's no set thing that his face and eyes should be doing for any particular emotion. And somehow HD "reveals" this secret side to his face? How ridiculous. He's got his own acting style and it has worked for him for many years.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

That does sound weird. There's no set thing that his face and eyes should be doing for any particular emotion. And somehow HD "reveals" this secret side to his face? How ridiculous. He's got his own acting style and it has worked for him for many years.

It's A Thing that watching in HD vs SD feels different and lets you see things differently. Sort of like the soap opera effect.

e: VVVVVV I was not supporting the initial statement, just pointing out a thing. I'm sorry this upset you.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 22, 2014

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

It's A Thing that watching in HD vs SD feels different and lets you see things differently. Sort of like the soap opera effect.

gently caress off. People has been watching Tom Cruise in theaters, you know, the huge screens 50 times larger than your cheap flatscreen tv, for 30 years. This is a retarded statement.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maybe what Red Crown is talking about HD, it's really that motion interpolation that new TVs do really brings out the effect. Like Cruise's acting is supposed to imply to the view subtle emotional movement but even the interpolation doesn't pick up on it like everything else, so it becomes even more noticable.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I don't see how Tom Cruise "looking weird" on HD is anything more than a case of confirmation bias. You know details of his personal life that make him seem like a weirdo, so now you're seeing this when you closely examine him acting. He's a pod-person /reptilian /crab-person /scientologist aping genuine human behaviors and emotions - BUT YOU SEE THROUGH THE MASK.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I knew he was a lizard all along, this PROVES IT

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Tom Cruise owns. He's not always in good movies but he tends to elevate everything he's in anyway

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
All that

quote:

Tom Cruise was the inspiration for Bale's performance in American Psycho
stuff is weirdly ironic considering that in the novel Patrick Bateman meets Tom Cruise, and the latter is severely creeped out by the former. Just goes to show how his image has changed in the last~20 years.

Anyway I've been looking foward to this for a while now , I don't care about motorcycles or powersuits or if his motorcycle wears a powersuit. I just want to watch Tom Cruise kill and get killed hundreds of times while fighting bizarre alien creatures.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Jayisspecial posted:

He's very intense...and half the time it seems like his emotions are something he needs to keep control of. He also seems like a very nice person.

You just described Patrick Bateman.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe Terrans would do better vs the mimics if they deployed a couple vindicator tanks or Dreadnoughts.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I really liked the books idea that our hero was a recruit conscript, and thus had very limited resources and options. No matter how much you know what happens next, no matter how much theorycraft you retain, you are still a recruit conscript, and you still have day 1 muscles. Those were interesting limits. Promoting the hero to battle-hard LTC seems pointless, unless they are going to gently caress up the limitations. Making him officer doesn't improve anything that I can see, except that Cruise is old.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

According to the movies site, he's never seen a day of combat so I imagine the change is more just to account for his age.

beckricci
Nov 19, 2012
I think what throws people off about Tom Cruise is he's a very intense actor but he's shallow at the same time. He's always ON and cranked to 11 but he's always awful. His performances are never lived in or relaxed. The saying goes, "Never let them see ya sweat." Tom Cruise is always sweating. Always trying to prove that he's the coolest, the baddest. "He does his own stunts!" But let him be something other than an rear end in a top hat or psycho and PU! Straight Limburger!

Dramatic Jim Carry and Rom-Com Ben Stiller have the same effect on me.

beckricci fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 25, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

beckricci posted:

I think what throws people off about Tom Cruise is he's a very intense actor but he's shallow at the same time. He's always ON and cranked to 11 but he's always awful. His performances are never lived in or relaxed. The saying goes, "Never let them see ya sweat." Tom Cruise is always sweating. Always trying to prove that he's the coolest, the baddest. "He does his own stunts!" But let him be something other than an rear end in a top hat or psycho and PU! Straight Limburger!

Dramatic Jim Carry and Rom-Com Ben Stiller have the same effect on me.

Nah. Minority Report has Cruise at his most emotionally affecting, and that's definitely a genuinely good performance.

Jblade posted:

According to the movies site, he's never seen a day of combat so I imagine the change is more just to account for his age.

Yeah. based on something I heard/saw at Comic-Con, he's a desk jockey who, if I'm not mistaken, is responsible for communicating these new battle suits to the American public, and gets thrown into one to prove a point or something. (I'm not really sure what level spoiler that is, but I'm fairly sure it's benign poo poo that is shown in the first ten minutes or so.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 25, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Any superstar who throws his clout behind big budget sci-fi films gets his inner sociopathy overlooked by me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JohnSherman posted:

Any superstar who throws his clout behind big budget sci-fi films gets his inner sociopathy overlooked by me.

That's how it works for writing science fiction, may as well apply it to acting too.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I love how in the book Rita talks about how in a movie about her she is cast as this large breasted blonde girl who knows nothing about fighting. And she's this small breasted red head.

How amusing in the case of this movie.

Binkie
Mar 20, 2004

Robble Robble Robble
In Japan, they aren't changing the name. :haw:

I'd like to think that in 'Knight And Day', Tom Cruise was just playing himself.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, the movie might not touch on this in the way I'd like, but I was always confused about the ending of the book. If having both Rita and...the MC alive meant there was a backup to trigger the loop, why wouldn't the loop trigger with just one of them alive? Pretty big spoiler if you haven't read it, by the way.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Wizchine posted:

I don't see how Tom Cruise "looking weird" on HD is anything more than a case of confirmation bias. You know details of his personal life that make him seem like a weirdo, so now you're seeing this when you closely examine him acting. He's a pod-person /reptilian /crab-person /scientologist aping genuine human behaviors and emotions - BUT YOU SEE THROUGH THE MASK.

I've gotta admit it could be that what I know about his is coloring what I see on screen, or maybe I'm just sensitive to all the unholy plastic surgery he must get.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I watched Vanilla Sky the other day and dear god he looks like a psycho in every shot, mask or no mask, scars or no scars.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I don't see why people complain about the white casting. Tom Cruise was the Last Samurai so he's BASICALLY Asian.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I don't see why people complain about the white casting. Tom Cruise was the Last Samurai so he's BASICALLY Asian.

No he wasn't.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

PerrineClostermann posted:

You know, the movie might not touch on this in the way I'd like, but I was always confused about the ending of the book. If having both Rita and...the MC alive meant there was a backup to trigger the loop, why wouldn't the loop trigger with just one of them alive? Pretty big spoiler if you haven't read it, by the way.

It's been four months since I read it but if I remember correctly Isn't that correct, which is why Rita had to die? They kill the MC and it doesn't work, so Rita knows they need to both kill the MC and herself?

choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think

Robotnik Nudes posted:

samurai is plural of samurai :/

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

choprite posted:

samurai is plural of samurai :/

Spoiler: All the other ones die

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atoramos posted:

It's been four months since I read it but if I remember correctly Isn't that correct, which is why Rita had to die? They kill the MC and it doesn't work, so Rita knows they need to both kill the MC and herself?

Well, MC doesn't die in the end. He survives. And only one of them needed to die; that's why they started fighting each other. Whoever was the best fighter would survive. I need to reread it as well, but I don't understand how having both of them alive would trigger a loop when they killed the mimic, but having only one alive wouldn't trigger a loop.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bugblatter posted:

One of my favorite anecdotes about Tom Cruise is how Christian Bale supposedly found the character of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. They had a character who outwardly had to be fairly charismatic, while still somehow showing that underneath he was a complete sociopath even when he was putting on his best charm. The story goes that one night Bale called the films director because he was watching Tom Cruise on some talk show, and he was doing his normal charismatic mannerisms and obviously knew all the right things to say and do to seem charming, but in any close up there was something off in the way his eyes didn't quite move right and you got this feeling that he "had no soul." Bale and the director decided that was the perfect way to go with their character.

What Christian Bale said was that Cruise had, "an intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes." I think that's pretty succinct...whenever he plays characters intended to be charming or charismatic, that comes across and renders it a little uncanny.

But when he plays sociopaths like in Collateral, or assholes like Magnolia, or just psychologically broken people like in Minority Report or Last Samurai, I think it works pretty well.

There was talk of putting him into del Toro's Mountains of Madness adaptation, when that was still being developed, and it sounded great. Tom Cruise as an arrogant scientist who uncovers an inconceivable city of fetid ruins and then goes totally crazy could've yielded some wonderful scenes.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Xealot posted:

What Christian Bale said was that Cruise had, "an intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes." I think that's pretty succinct...whenever he plays characters intended to be charming or charismatic, that comes across and renders it a little uncanny.

But when he plays sociopaths like in Collateral, or assholes like Magnolia, or just psychologically broken people like in Minority Report or Last Samurai, I think it works pretty well.

There was talk of putting him into del Toro's Mountains of Madness adaptation, when that was still being developed, and it sounded great. Tom Cruise as an arrogant scientist who uncovers an inconceivable city of fetid ruins and then goes totally crazy could've yielded some wonderful scenes.

Still infuriates me that I live in a timeline where this movie didn't get made.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

IMB posted:

Still infuriates me that I live in a timeline where this movie didn't get made.
You know, I sometimes feel the same way, but then have a lot of trouble picturing that story as a movie. What would look cooler on screen, the giant penguins or the vegetable aliens?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Jayisspecial posted:

I am not really sure where you get this impression from. He's very intense, even off screen, and half the time it seems like his emotions are something he needs to keep control of. He also seems like a very nice person.

Wait how are there people who still haven't seen this yet

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Wait how are there people who still haven't seen this yet

Look I can tolerate basically anything as long as he puts his craziness and money to work on pumping out decent sci-fi flicks.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Bolow posted:

Look I can tolerate basically anything as long as he puts his craziness and money to work on pumping out decent sci-fi flicks.

I'm a manchild for scifi so sure, I'm in the same camp. Just...let's just not go overboard in some possible reflexive action to tabloid rumor-mongering and deny the obvious - he's a complete loving loon that promotes a criminally abusive money-laundering organization that preys on the desperate as his major off-screen activity. "Very nice people" tend to have some level of introspection that prevents them from being so far up their own rear end that they would be blind to being involved so deep with such a reprehensible group of people, or at least be able to recognize the intentions of said people nearly immediately.

I mean gently caress, the fact that Cruise is actually good friends with someone like David Miscaviage should be a huge loving screaming kalxon. You don't need to have a Guy Fawkes mask in your closet to come to that conclusion.

Still can't wait for EOT though!

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I'm a manchild for scifi so sure, I'm in the same camp. Just...let's just not go overboard in some possible reflexive action to tabloid rumor-mongering and deny the obvious - he's a complete loving loon that promotes a criminally abusive money-laundering organization that preys on the desperate as his major off-screen activity. "Very nice people" tend not to do that kind of stuff. Don't need to have a Guy Fawkes mask in your closet to come to that conclusion.

Still can't wait for EOT though!

Even if they shouldn't be, somehow those two things just stay separate for me, at least for him. Sometimes knowing the weird poo poo artists get up to in their free time is enough to totally put me off of them, but in Cruise's case... well, I still think he's a loving psycho, like you say, but he's drat good at his job so somehow I usually still end up enjoying his acting anyway. It feels weird but I've just accepted it.

• Locked thread