Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Seshoho Cian posted:

The Lawnmower Man?

Yeah that's what I was going to say. They took a 2 page short story about a guy who can telekinetically control a lawnmower and turned it into a techno Flowers for Algernon remake. With lovely 1992 CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LibbyM posted:

A grand total of one character from the book appears at all (Rita), and even than a lot of Rita's story and significant parts of her character are completely changed. Almost nothing that happens in the books happens in the movie, beyond: Keiji/Cage kills a server/alpha, relives the same battle a lot, gets better at fighting over time.
When I say none of the characters appear, I don't mean because their names were changed. Everything about who Keiji is as a person is different from who Cage is as a person. There is no character who is equivalent to Yonabaru, Ferrell, or any of the other significant characters from the book.

I want to make it clear I'm not complaining about the movie, as I said: "There's not necessarily anything wrong with taking loose inspiration from something and telling your own story with it". But what movie is a looser adaptation than one that features none of the characters and none of the story from the book?

Liked the exoskeletons and the mimics more in the manga, but the movie has a happier ending. If you liked the movie or hate the movie and you want more, go read the manga "All you need is kill". There is only 14? chapters and they go fast, drink some coffee or smoke through it and enjoy it. A good amount of the variables made it into the movie and I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Really you are saying they only kept 1 character when the manga only focuses on 2 for the majority of it? I would say the supporting cast gets more screen time in the movie than the manga. I would be more likely to have the movie on in the background than reread the whole manga again in any case.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Be warned that the original is incredibly anime. The only characters who get descriptions are the female characters, the bulk of whom are goofy anime stereotypes and have more lines dedicated to their boob size than most of the male supporting cast gets period.

Despite that I like some of what it does better than the Cruise version although some things are worse too. (I think Rita is just kind of a legitimately better character in the novel despite being the most anime person ever.)

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

^^ Yah, the novel isn't great or anything, deffinitly some creepy passages about women. Cruise's cowardly officer character in the movie was actually a better character than Keiji too. The amount of humor in the movie is good too, where the novel was pretty much humorless.

The main things I liked more about the novel were that Rita was a significantly better character, and that the stuff about servers and antenna were a lot better than having the omega. The Omega only exists in the movie to have an easy ultimate solution that can be quickly wrapped up in a movie. While the Novel's ending was rushed as hell, and could have done with probably another few pages to actually set up properly, it felt a lot more natural to me. As natural as it could be in a crazy time travelish sci-fi story. The last few post battle pages are much better than the post omega sequence.
The novel also has a couple sequences where the Mimics actually adept based on their information from the previous days. Most notably Day 2, and the final day. I can't remember if that was ever really a thing in the movie.

Tenzarin posted:

Liked the exoskeletons and the mimics more in the manga, but the movie has a happier ending. If you liked the movie or hate the movie and you want more, go read the manga "All you need is kill". There is only 14? chapters and they go fast, drink some coffee or smoke through it and enjoy it. A good amount of the variables made it into the movie and I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Really you are saying they only kept 1 character when the manga only focuses on 2 for the majority of it? I would say the supporting cast gets more screen time in the movie than the manga. I would be more likely to have the movie on in the background than reread the whole manga again in any case.

I'm thinking you didn't realize there was a novel, since you seem to be responding as if I was talking about the manga. But than, I've never read the manga maybe it's exactly like the novel down to every detail for all I know. In the novel Yonabaru and Ferrel are both as featured as characters who are always going to loop and never develop can possibly be, obviously focus is on Rita and Keiji though yah.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 23, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The novel and manga have the same ending. Better ending than somehow killing the big bad boss and then everything is dead ending, but the movies ending is still a happier ending.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What evidence is there to suggest the mimics intentionally lost at Verdun?

From what Rita tells us it seems like she had to retry the day enough times to become a really good soldier, try to tell people what was happening and get locked up for it, start having visions, and eventually get to a point where she killed a hundred, took a wound and bled out, losing the powers and leaving both sides stuck with the result of the battle.

If that's taking a dive they sure made humanity work for it.

What did the mimics get out of the defeat other than a mass assault that it clearly had to suffer a bunch of times before Cruise fluked the claymore kill of an alpha and hamstrung it again?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

sassassin posted:

What evidence is there to suggest the mimics intentionally lost at Verdun?

From what Rita tells us it seems like she had to retry the day enough times to become a really good soldier, try to tell people what was happening and get locked up for it, start having visions, and eventually get to a point where she killed a hundred, took a wound and bled out, losing the powers and leaving both sides stuck with the result of the battle.

If that's taking a dive they sure made humanity work for it.

What did the mimics get out of the defeat other than a mass assault that it clearly had to suffer a bunch of times before Cruise fluked the claymore kill of an alpha and hamstrung it again?

They gave her visions that showed where the Omega was that were faked to draw her in to wound her, but not kill her.

They did the same exact thing to Cage, and he figured out that was their plan all along.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LorneReams posted:

They gave her visions that showed where the Omega was that were faked to draw her in to wound her, but not kill her.

They did the same exact thing to Cage, and he figured out that was their plan all along.

What does that have to do with intentionally throwing the battle, though? The trap in the dam is just a reaction to someone hijacking the time skip system. It solves the immediate problem but isn't a part of some wider plot to draw humanity in as far as I can see.

The Omega is faced with an inability to guarantee success rather than actually desiring defeat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

What does that have to do with intentionally throwing the battle, though? The trap in the dam is just a reaction to someone hijacking the time skip system. It solves the immediate problem but isn't a part of some wider plot to draw humanity in as far as I can see.

The Omega is faced with an inability to guarantee success rather than actually desiring defeat.

Well, I can't vouch for this tactic's actual viability, but in the movie it was speculated that the Omega wanted humans to be overconfident with the success of the Jacket technology and that the massive final assault would basically be an ambush where the mimics would slaughter the remaining human military forces while also striking at the heart of their leadership. Remember that while everyone is getting slaughtered on the beach landing, the mimics are also launching an attack against London and who knows where else. The mimics know why they were losing at Verdun, they realized that Rita was looping. The humans though, don't know the real reason they won. The mimics know they have taken care of the human looper problem so they have a huge intelligence advantage. Their plan would have gone off without a hitch if Tom Cruise didn't star in so many scifi movies...

edit: It's also possible they had to throw the battle in order to trap Rita.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snak posted:

Well, I can't vouch for this tactic's actual viability, but in the movie it was speculated that the Omega wanted humans to be overconfident with the success of the Jacket technology and that the massive final assault would basically be an ambush where the mimics would slaughter the remaining human military forces while also striking at the heart of their leadership. Remember that while everyone is getting slaughtered on the beach landing, the mimics are also launching an attack against London and who knows where else. The mimics know why they were losing at Verdun, they realized that Rita was looping. The humans though, don't know the real reason they won. The mimics know they have taken care of the human looper problem so they have a huge intelligence advantage. Their plan would have gone off without a hitch if Tom Cruise didn't star in so many scifi movies...

edit: It's also possible they had to throw the battle in order to trap Rita.

Yeah, I remembered it being something like this, they "lost" to make the humans overconfidently throw everything they had at the mimics in one giant assault, which just made it convenient for the mimics to be able to wipe out the bulk of their forces all at once since they'd all be massed in the same area. BUT ONE MAN....

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I remembered it being something like this, they "lost" to make the humans overconfidently throw everything they had at the mimics in one giant assault, which just made it convenient for the mimics to be able to wipe out the bulk of their forces all at once since they'd all be massed in the same area. BUT ONE MAN....

I feel like this is much more likely a response to Rita's unexpected victory, rather than a deliberate loss. Turning a setback into an ambush, as it were, rather than planning the ambush based on one soldier's chance death.

The alternative, that an alpha deliberately played the day over again until it managed to bleed on someone when it died, is just... convoluted.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

The mimics know they have taken care of the human looper problem so they have a huge intelligence advantage.

The same intelligence advantage they had before Verdun. The mimics don't learn when humans trigger a loop, right? Otherwise Cruise's maps and strategies wouldn't have worked at all.

I've got no problem with the events of the film as they happen, but Rita's assertion that the mimics lost on purpose at Verdun rather than she won a largely meaningless victory seems out of place. It's an odd conclusion to draw.

The idea that the mimics wanted an all-out assault so they could wipe out humanity is just a theory. The resistance faced on the beach is much more likely the result of the mimics having experienced the battle many times before (as evidenced by the hidden placement of the one that killed J squad - it knew where they would bunker down), rather than any long con being pulled. It's propaganda painting the mimics as absolute aggressors even in defeat/defence, and humanity as victims even in victory/attack.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

sassassin posted:

I've got no problem with the events of the film as they happen, but Rita's assertion that the mimics lost on purpose at Verdun rather than she won a largely meaningless victory seems out of place. It's an odd conclusion to draw.

Some weird kind of survivor's guilt, maybe?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

The same intelligence advantage they had before Verdun. The mimics don't learn when humans trigger a loop, right? Otherwise Cruise's maps and strategies wouldn't have worked at all.

The idea that the mimics wanted an all-out assault so they could wipe out humanity is just a theory. The resistance faced on the beach is much more likely the result of the mimics having experienced the battle many times before (as evidenced by the hidden placement of the one that killed J squad - it knew where they would bunker down), rather than any long con being pulled. It's propaganda painting the mimics as absolute aggressors even in defeat/defence, and humanity as victims even in victory/attack.

Think about it this way: The mimics knew that Rita had become a part of their looping network. They took that out of the equation and lost a battle in the process. They have the technology to reset time. Now that they have gotten rid of the human looper, they could reset time and not lose the battle, and Rita would still be out of the way. But they didn't do that. They left it so that the humans won, which lead to the battle that the humans were losing every day while Cage was looping. You can argue that it's coincidence, but it lines up exactly with what the characters in the movie say.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Snak posted:

Think about it this way: The mimics knew that Rita had become a part of their looping network. They took that out of the equation and lost a battle in the process. They have the technology to reset time. Now that they have gotten rid of the human looper, they could reset time and not lose the battle, and Rita would still be out of the way. But they didn't do that. They left it so that the humans won, which lead to the battle that the humans were losing every day while Cage was looping. You can argue that it's coincidence, but it lines up exactly with what the characters in the movie say.

This presupposes that the Mimics could override Rita's time changing. While they could probably react to it thanks to the Omega having a sort of overriding knowledge of the situation, I doubt they could just that easily have reversed Rita's looping.

Evidence: when Cage got locked out, why didn't they just have an Alpha commit suicide to reset the day, this time with Cage on the outside looking in?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

This presupposes that the Mimics could override Rita's time changing. While they could probably react to it thanks to the Omega having a sort of overriding knowledge of the situation, I doubt they could just that easily have reversed Rita's looping.

Evidence: when Cage got locked out, why didn't they just have an Alpha commit suicide to reset the day, this time with Cage on the outside looking in?

That's a good point. The real problem here is that this time-loop technology-based military strategy really just exists to tell the story and doesn't make any sort of mechanical sense. Which isn't really a flaw in the movie, but it does mean that we can only go so far in analyzing it's use.

Oh god, it just occurred to me what a clusterfuck warfare between two mimic Omegas would be like. But in a way it would be much more symmetrical...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A war between two Mimic Omegas already has its own movie.

It's called "Wargames".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

This assumes an intelligence or level of strategy to the mimics that I'm not sure the film demonstrates. The time loops are an automatic reflex when an alpha is killed (which is why Cruise can use them). The ambush on the beach is a response to having experienced the beach assault before. The trap at the dam acts like an immune response eliminating a parasite or infection.

The Omega merely responds to the actions of humanity in the film, albeit via time travel. This makes it appear aggressive, when there needn't be any real intent on its part for the same actions to be taken.

Even the attack on London can be viewed as mirroring Cruise's later attack on the Lourve; trying to eliminate the enemy's central intelligence, and end the war.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Strobe posted:

A war between two Mimic Omegas already has its own movie.

It's called "Wargames".

But maybe that's foreplay to Mimic Omegas. Run through a bunch of unwinnable scenarios until they either realizing fighting isn't the answer and merging their hives or reproduce a new Mimic to take over those resources while they teleport away for areas with little competition.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

sassassin posted:

This assumes an intelligence or level of strategy to the mimics that I'm not sure the film demonstrates. The time loops are an automatic reflex when an alpha is killed (which is why Cruise can use them). The ambush on the beach is a response to having experienced the beach assault before. The trap at the dam acts like an immune response eliminating a parasite or infection.

The Omega merely responds to the actions of humanity in the film, albeit via time travel. This makes it appear aggressive, when there needn't be any real intent on its part for the same actions to be taken.

Even the attack on London can be viewed as mirroring Cruise's later attack on the Lourve; trying to eliminate the enemy's central intelligence, and end the war.

I thought they discussed how the mimics basically wiped out Asia/Russia though, so I don't think they're really digging surgical strikes to end a war.

I like trying to put the time travel gimmick to the test, but like Snak said it really doesn't hold up in super-deep way that lasts long after the movie ends. Which is fine, during the movie runtime it works well.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What's the word on extras and/or deleted scenes for the DVD release? From the trailers and various promo materials, it looks like there was some kind of fight/confrontation sequence in the flooded Lourve area that got cut. (at about 2:12 in this video: http://www.keyartaward.com/winners/2014/av_trailers/entry.cfm?entryid=501410158&ispartofcampaign=0&index=20)

I'm probably buying the movie anyway, but it'd be really cool to see what got left on the editing room floor, especially if it involves more :black101: badassery from Rita, Cage, & J Squad.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 10, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I received a review copy of this a few weeks ago but was out of town and didn't get a chance to watch it.

I still haven't been able to watch it because of work, however I got through the first act.

Of note, the bass drop tone at the very beginning. LoL it knocked my projector out of alignment. Its a frequency sweep down to 10hz for no reason whatsoever. Do you know what a 10hz sweep sounds like ? Nothing. But your walls and ceiling still move :(

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

What's the word on extras and/or deleted scenes for the DVD release? From the trailers and various promo materials, it looks like there was some kind of fight/confrontation sequence in the flooded Lourve area that got cut. (at about 2:12 in this video: http://www.keyartaward.com/winners/2014/av_trailers/entry.cfm?entryid=501410158&ispartofcampaign=0&index=20)

I'm probably buying the movie anyway, but it'd be really cool to see what got left on the editing room floor, especially if it involves more :black101: badassery from Rita, Cage, & J Squad.

There's a lot of great featurettes that focus on stuff in the film you actually care about. The design of the suits, the physical labor of running in the bulky armor, the special effects, the design on the Mimics, etc.

The deleted scenes have some extra battle scenes including a few from the beach that were only pre-visualized.

One interesting extra is a complete cut of Cruise's final battle on the beach in which he makes zero mistakes.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

At first I didn't see the suits there. I'm guessing that was supposed to be foreshadowed by the conversation about NOT ganking an alpha and the guy with the claymore doing a dramatic "nope" and not pulling the pin on it instead of what we got in the final cut.

FrostedButts posted:

There's a lot of great featurettes that focus on stuff in the film you actually care about. The design of the suits, the physical labor of running in the bulky armor, the special effects, the design on the Mimics, etc.

The deleted scenes have some extra battle scenes including a few from the beach that were only pre-visualized.

One interesting extra is a complete cut of Cruise's final battle on the beach in which he makes zero mistakes.

Do you have it? Is it a suited Louvre battle?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The sign outside our local Family Video says

Edge Of Tomorrow
Million Ways To Die

Which would *still* have been a better title.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slugworth posted:

The sign outside our local Family Video says

Edge Of Tomorrow
Million Ways To Die

Which would *still* have been a better title.

A Million Ways to Die in the West(ern Europe)

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jesus did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

However, that fact obviously cannot be used to justify just any violence. Pacific Rim, for example, misused Christ imagery in the service of a fascist narrative of obliterating the spreading disease-enemy.

No it didn't.

This was a pretty good sci-fi action movie, was kinda surprised. The title was still dumb as hell but the original was just as bad. The one thing I didn't understand is why they were call mimics. They didn't mimic anything.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 19, 2014

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The aliens could "mimic" a bunch of different shapes is my guess.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
In the book / manga, the aliens seem to mimic human tactics and strategy by beating us in almost every single battle to date, giving their name. I'm not sure this was explicitly stated in the movie though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of the manga, Comixology has it on sale. $10 for the whole thing.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

In the book / manga, the aliens seem to mimic human tactics and strategy by beating us in almost every single battle to date, giving their name. I'm not sure this was explicitly stated in the movie though.

It's not, but that makes sense.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The movie definitely states that they mimic human tactics, but it's a minor note that they don't dwell on.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
They state it (Mad Eye Moody says it near the beginning IIRC) but they don't really explain what it means specifically. "They mimic our tactics" seems to mean "they anticipate our every move and counter it" I guess, based on how the Omega time-fuckery works.

Or maybe after Verdun they saw mimics dropping out of mimic dropships wearing mimic battlesuits made in China.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Electromax posted:

They state it (Mad Eye Moody says it near the beginning IIRC) but they don't really explain what it means specifically. "They mimic our tactics" seems to mean "they anticipate our every move and counter it" I guess, based on how the Omega time-fuckery works.

Or maybe after Verdun they saw mimics dropping out of mimic dropships wearing mimic battlesuits made in China.

They respond to violence with violence. Before it's happened. The more coordinated the attack the more coordinated the defence.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Mimic name in the movie at least is more of a thematic thing. The military and the aliens are mirrors of each other, Cage & Rita mimic the aliens' powers, and Cage eventually has to reject both the human and alien war machines to win. Quoting myself because I'm insufferable I guess.

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay on the second viewing and on the lookout for the things in the thread, specifically with regards to the relationship between Cage, the aliens, and the military:

I agree with SMG that the aliens and the military are analogous. Cage is forced into becoming a killing machine by both the general and Sgt. Farrell, and the alien transfers its essence to him on the same day. The alien may baptize Cage with its essence, but Farrell shepherds and exhorts him on the way to his baptism, and in the first loop even literally says that he will be baptized. Cage is initially confused about his transformation and resists it, but is convinced by a (duped) Rita to embrace the violent, alien, machine nature and become like the alien/military. (It's no accident that Rita takes Cage through a huge bay where power armor suits are being constructed and through a door marked WEAPONS REPAIR to begin his training.) After a fun training/death montage, we get a look at Cage and Rita blasting their way through the aliens as whirling, leaping killing machines - in a fighting style very like the alien killing machines.

The interlude with Rita in the German farmhouse is thematically important. Cage sheds the suit and tries to pretend to be human again. Rita jokes about starting a fire and opening wine, but that's obviously what Cage wants. Cage tries to play at being a human again with her... and fails. He knows Rita takes three sugars without asking, and Rita realizes that his humanity, no matter how much he desires it, is an act. She insists that they keep fighting and dies for it.

Cage then finally gives up his attempts to retain his humanity, gives up on Rita, and tries to kill the enemy with its own machine/time powers. He pointedly ignores his squadmates dying around him, fights perfectly, and finally makes it through only to discover that it was all a trap. Fighting has been a trap all along, and Rita was just as thoroughly duped as Cage. He manages to get himself killed and reports back to Rita and the scientist that fighting is ultimately a trap. (Reinforced by the scientist's early summation of the enemy: "All they need is for the dominant life form to attack and WHAM!") It's hard not to find an anti-military message in that.

The two soldiers, veil lifted from their eyes, immediately go to confront the general, which by now should be looking like a fairly strong potential analog for the Omega. Sure enough, in his office (for plot reasons only or for thematic reasons?) they find the key to finding the Omega, and like the Omega he deceives them and attempts to capture them.

This is what I haven't seen SMG talk about :

From the confrontation with the general on, Cage and Rita are gradually stripped of their alienness and war machines, until when they confront the Omega they are unarmed, wounded humans. I don't think it's accidental that Rita and Cage embrace (he saves her from the falling concrete slab, but they embrace for a long moment afterward) and kiss for the first time just as they have shed all their weapons and war machines on the cusp of victory.

Anyway, the shots of their single dropship's departure over the cliffs of Dover with J-squad deliberately references and contrasts with the first 20 minutes of the film when a massive air fleet departs over the same cliffs. On the flight a soldier asks what they should do if they are cornered by an Alpha. In contrast to their earlier call-and-response with Farrell: "What do warriors do?" "Kill! Kill! Kill!" Cage tells the soldier that he should die rather than killing. When they drop into Paris, Cage's power armor literally weighs him down, nearly killing him in the Seine. When he meets up with Rita, she has also lost her armor without explanation.

J-aquad sacrifice themselves as Rita and Cage break the dropship, this giant military machine, tearing it apart as they drive towards their destination. In the fall into the Louvre parking garage, they lose their weapons. By the time they have reached the Omega they are "naked" without the suits and unarmed save for the sacrificial grenade belt. They embrace and kiss for the first time, in contrast to their conversation in the minivan when a power-suited Rita at first refused to get to know power-suited Cage because "it's just war." Rita sacrifices herself to distract the Alpha, and Cage sacrifices himself to destroy the Omega, for once not firing a shot or killing anything except the giant machine (an analog for the general and the military) that has transformed and tormented them throughout the film.

Then the ending happens -- and I agree its jarring and out of place. Even my friends, who were not really interested in discussing the symbolism, noticed how out of place the ending was and thought the film would have been better if the credits rolled after the Omega died. I don't agree with SMG that it's such a downer ending, although I can see where he's coming from.

But the military has been symbolically, if not really, engaged and destroyed in the climax of the film. Or at least, Cage and Rita have freed themselves from its influence and died nobly as humans, rather than as alien/military killing machines.

I think if I could just change a few little things in the ending to make it feel better or fit better thematically, I would have the aliens simply disappear rather than shut down, and the military disarming in the end of the film rather than surging to victory. We could see J squad getting out of the military, soldiers striking the huge tents on the Heathrow tarmac, and people shouting that the war is over as Cage walks into Rita's training tent. It would be nice to see the general get some sort of comeuppance as well, but oh well. I would really like to see the original ending.

Thoughts that didn't fit into this narrative but are worth remembering:

-Cage goes to confront the Omega, is tricked, and is stopped by two alien machines, which try to capture him and drain his blood.
-Cage and Rita confront the general, are tricked, and are captured by two power-armored soldiers. They successfully drain Cage's blood of its power.
-Despite being a major, Cage's relationship with the military command structure is relentlessly antagonistic from the first five minutes of the film. -The general and Farrell are sinister figures throughout the film, while the joe schmoe conscript J squad become allies.
-Cage attempts to desert for real this time, and the aliens attack London and kill him. Plot requirement or a comment on the futlity of disengagement from the anti-alien/military conflict?
-On first viewing it never connected for me how obviously mirrored Rita's lines about human connections are in the middle and end of the film. In the middle of the film, wearing their power suits, alien-blood Cage bullshits and fakes human connection with Rita. Rita says she "doesn't want to get to know you." When an unarmed Rita kisses an unarmed and wounded Cage at the end she says, "I wish I had the time to get to know you." Very cut-and-dried contrast.
-Very curious what the original ending was and why it tested badly with early screening audiences.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My family finally got around to watching this and loved it. They understood the looping and reset stuff, including with the omega more than some people in this thread. They thought it was a lot like The Matrix, too.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
My severely autistic little brother decided that it was a Minecraft movie and Tom Cruise just needed to turn on peaceful mode.

:kimchi:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nah the aliens and humans are fundamentally dissimilar, mostly because there are no aliens in the movie. There's an alien. The omega is the only entity with an individual will, all the others are basically cells of an organism. So even though the soldiers go on about killing, it's via narratives of being a warrior or a hero. Individual accomplishments are held aloft, even above the overall aims of the battle, like when Rita was always talked about by her killcount.

This actually bears out pretty well in the climax. Once cage gets near the Omega, the sensible thing to for it to do is reset right loving now. Put cage in that alphas spot and he commits suicide on the spot. But the alpha is an immune response, not an individual, and self destruction in service of a higher goal is incomprehensible to it.

E: basically this movie is bizzaro Osmosis Jones

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 9, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

From my mom's Christmas letter...

quote:

*kiimo* worked on the campaign for the latest Tom Cruise movie, "Edge of Darkness" this year

:shepicide:

my own mother can't even get this abomination of a name right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pander posted:

That's an area where I find the LDR:EoT groundhog day effect a little less realistic (*gasp*) than Groundhog Day. Repeating conversations, memorizing where a couple barney fifes go in order to steal a bag of money, that all seems pretty repeatable in Groundhog Day. Making the exact same movements at the exact same times during loops to escape the beach firefight just seems absurd. It's not just knowing patterns, it's repeating all those very complex steps over and over and over. Even after he knows how to get to the helicopter area, he still couldn't get there every time.

Thousands of years makes sense in terms of becoming proficient at everything and getting enough trials in to make it to the helicopter. But what about the side effects, like the omega trying to find him and drain him, or just general insanity over repeating the same steps only to fail every single time?

One example of this for me was the scene where Cage walks away from his meeting with Rita all depressed and two members of J-Squad try to beat him up. He "predicts" their every move with his eyes closed, which suggests that he went through this moment enough times to memorize it completely, which means that he also went through enough versions of the day that lead to this moment. The idea of the sheer volume of repetitions it would take to have that exact sequence occur and then be able to memorize what you need to do by trial and error was terrifying to me.

• Locked thread