Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Voltage posted:

Holy Crap look at this sweet thing:

Only 2,800 OBO!
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4305320304.html

'79 Cougar, god drat beautiful. It's really a shame I have a girlfried and I'm moving to Manhattan soon. I have a Miata, a Fiesta ST, a Ninja 250, and a Subaru Impreza Wagon. I seriously, seriously can't get another car - but holy crap do I want a couch car :(

Help me.

4 words: 10 Miles Per Gallon.

[edit] If it had a 351 M I'd tell you to pass, because there's not a lot you can do with it. However, that's a windsor, so a small block, and all you need to do there is get yourself a nice AOD transmission and enjoy the cruise and surprisingly liveable fuel economy. My 77 has the M, and it's a pig on gas, even for a 70's car. But, I will say that it is a really smooth ride, it looks sharp when clean, and the stock sound system is pretty good, and even better if you upgrade that head unit. Plenty of room in the backseat for a coupe, lots of trunk space, "handles" better than you'd expect. Power steering is so powerful as to be absurd; you will NEVER feel the road again. Ever.

[edit 2] Also, that's a T-Bird, though the T-Bird and the Cougar are identical in everything but badge and windows.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

88h88 posted:

I'm not a Londoner, we live in houses bigger than closets. :colbert:

So... more like a walk in pantry?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

11BulletCatcher posted:

So... more like a walk in pantry?

I've had hamsters that have had bigger cages than most Londoners, no wonder they're such moody bastards.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Well wait a minute, it doesn't count if the engine has been rebuilt multiple times.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

Well wait a minute, it doesn't count if the engine has been rebuilt multiple times.

Even the 3 million mile volvo had its engine rebuilt at least once.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

88h88 posted:

I've had hamsters that have had bigger cages than most Londoners, no wonder they're such moody bastards.

Those hamster cages are also unbelievably expensive, they make San Francisco seem positively reasonable by comparison.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Even the 3 million mile volvo had its engine rebuilt at least once.

twice actually but it's the original block

metallicaeg posted:

I used to drive quick, spirited, fast, whatever you want to call it. Since getting my modern land barge (2000 Grand Marquis) I'm the same way now. Everything is slower and much more calm.

I have an '03, it's comfy as poo poo and merging is awesome because it's 19 feet long so what are you really going to do? I want an old Lincoln so badly but I don't have the money/time/space to keep one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Das Volk posted:

Those hamster cages are also unbelievably expensive, they make San Francisco seem positively reasonable by comparison.

Yup, I used to install high end AV gear and took many trips down there and inevitably conversation turns to how much the places cost. A small 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen/lounge was £250k. That price in the place I was living in Yorkshire would get you a 6 bedroom grade 2 listed building with 15ft high ceilings. London prices are loving stupid and again can only add to the misery of the people that live there.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
~$400k for a 2 bedroom apartment, I'm guessing what, 100m^2 tops doesn't seem THAT bad for a large desirable city like London to me. You can't beat location, location, location. I mean there are like literal crack houses in Vancouver worth a million+ because of the land they're sitting on.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

rscott posted:

~$400k for a 2 bedroom apartment, I'm guessing what, 100m^2 tops doesn't seem THAT bad for a large desirable city like London to me. You can't beat location, location, location. I mean there are like literal crack houses in Vancouver worth a million+ because of the land they're sitting on.

To be fair that price was a long long time ago, you're talking more $600k these days. These places are like shoeboxes, people in this forum have garages bigger than these houses.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm looking for a landbarge/ roadtrip monster. Was hoping to spend less than 3k and have something reliable enough to daily if I felt like it. I am also entertained by enormous cars. Are the STS/DTS reliable enough with the northstar to not be a money pit? I know nothing about Lincolns/Fords, is a town car a reasonable vehicle? Or do I just go with my gut and look for an old LT1 Roadmaster?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
As long as the headgasket has been fixed properly in a Northstar motor you arelooking at years of good service. Plus that engine makes fantastic noise when you romp the poo poo out of it.

Towncars are decent, floaty rides. The modular V8 has lots own set of issues, like the spark plugs, etc. Drive both and see what you like.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

88h88 posted:

To be fair that price was a long long time ago, you're talking more $600k these days. These places are like shoeboxes, people in this forum have garages bigger than these houses.

I would absolutely prefer to live, at my time of life, in a london shoebox than a yorkshire mansion. Actually, I'd never want to live in Yorkshire, but that's another matter entirely.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Vindolanda posted:

I would absolutely prefer to live, at my time of life, in a london shoebox than a yorkshire mansion. Actually, I'd never want to live in Yorkshire, but that's another matter entirely.

After having done it, if I were to try it again:lol: I'd just take a townhouse in St. Albans or something instead.

To keep this derail vaguely on topic, I can definitely see why Clarkson couldn't drive his Ford GT around - and American luxobarges just wouldn't want to go anywhere inside the M25. The cunts that run the boroughs do poo poo like this apparently to keep traffic third-world levels of bad, imagine trying to fit anything but a Mini through that:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm looking for a landbarge/ roadtrip monster. Was hoping to spend less than 3k and have something reliable enough to daily if I felt like it. I am also entertained by enormous cars. Are the STS/DTS reliable enough with the northstar to not be a money pit?

STS/DTS are fantastic rides. Big, comfortable, mile-munchers that can get high-20mpg on the road. BrokenKnucklez is right -- headgaskets can be an issue, especially in your price range. '99 cars seem to be the worst. In '02 GM went to a longer head bolt, which cut the HG problems a bunch and in '04 they went to a head stud that had a more coarse thread, which finally eliminated the issues.

I just sold an '02 Deville that was nothing but solid in the couple years I had it. I replaced a water pump due to bad bearings, and shocks/struts. End of list. It was reliable and trustworthy. The DTS version has a bit higher output with the motor, but other than that, the two are very similar. Even fewer differences between a DTS and DHS, in fact the DHS is extremely similar to a base Deville.

STS platform in those years was mature and solid, as well. Smaller, though, and had a design that was pretty dated by then.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

STS platform in those years was mature and solid, as well. Smaller, though, and had a design that was pretty dated by then.

I like the looks of the STS and eldorado of those years. I drove a 97 STS for about 6 months. After taking care of the squishy suspension, it actually handled decently for a FWD barge. It wasn't a 3 series by any means, but it was fun to sling shot through a clover leaf getting on the interstate.

There's lots of into about proper head gasket repairs online, read up about them. If that scares you, head over to the panther mega thread. The town car is based on that platform. Its dated but an extremely solid ride.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah I can speak a bit to the Northstar headgasket issues.

My first 99 had no issues in the short time I owned it. I learned in the intervening time about the headgasket problems and decided to roll the dice on another one because I liked the body style of the 97-99s more then the redesigned back end of the 00's and up.

Of course, the headgasket did indeed go after awhile.

It was expensive, but I did the research and found a kit and got my mechanic some info as he'd never done one. He then partnered with a buddy who had done quite a few for Caddy dealers. I've had no issues since; once the repair is done it's supposed to be bulletproof after that.

Having said that, AFAIK the redesign after 99, on all 00s and up made the headgasket problem go away and you probably won't have to deal with it. Those cars are less boxy and "Cadillac" looking IMO, but to each his own. Other than the headgasket problems the Northstar is a fantastic engine which is really designed to be driven much more intensely then the average 70 year old Cadillac owner will drive it.

Now if you want a 90s Cadillac so as to have a more modern set of features and amenities but don't want to deal with the Northstar, you can always get a Brougham. They go up to 96 and have RWD and an LT engine so no headgasket issues. And they have sweet sweet fender skirts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Das Volk posted:

After having done it, if I were to try it again:lol: I'd just take a townhouse in St. Albans or something instead.

To keep this derail vaguely on topic, I can definitely see why Clarkson couldn't drive his Ford GT around - and American luxobarges just wouldn't want to go anywhere inside the M25. The cunts that run the boroughs do poo poo like this apparently to keep traffic third-world levels of bad, imagine trying to fit anything but a Mini through that:

That's not fair. My coupe is only 4.5 inches longer, and 2 inches wider than a long wheelbase ford transit :colbert:

New pics mostly interior.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Love that car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That Mazda Scion behind it really makes you realize just how massive it is. :stare:

e: :downs:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 6, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

That Mazda behind it really makes you realize just how massive it is. :stare:

That's an FR-S.

Unless you mean the red mustang, and completely missed the scion.

Both cars are a couple inches from back wall, and less than a foot apart in these pics.

basically, it makes other cars appear further away than they really are. It has the potential to cause accidents. It's roof is lower than most cars on the road, and it has the same wheelbase as a modern chrysler 300, but it's still somehow an absolutely massive car.

From this angle, it looks like a long, narrow car.

But really, it's wider than an f-150

It really is the greatest car ever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

That's an FR-S.

Unless you mean the red mustang, and completely missed the scion.

But really, it's wider than an f-150

:doh:

It looks... surprised.. next to the F-150.

Seeing the picture with it next to the Subaru really makes me realize just how small newer garages are (or maybe it's just a regional thing?). Our F-150 has to have the front bumper against the wall for the door to close, and that's leaving less than an inch between the rear bumper and overhead door. The Avalon is similar.

That car is a work of art.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My garage is techincally considered a "shop". I can fit an entire subaru between my f-150 and the wall with multiple inches to spare

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

I don't know, that looks an awful lot like a collective inch.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have always enjoyed land yachts. My first was a '67 Cadillac Deville; my favorite was a '72 Buick Electra 4-door hardtop. It was wide enough that my 5'3" wife could sleep with her head in my lap while driving, and her feet didn't touch the passenger door. 19-feet long, 6'8" wide.

Slightly smaller is my current car. The first is a film transfer from 2000, when the replacement for the total loss (which I'd had since 1996) was acquired.

18' 6" long (of which about 8' is rear quarters), 6'6" wide. Most of the space is wasted.

Except the trunk.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 20, 2014

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

You said that magical B word. Buick. Electra. I am always looking to see if I can't find a '76 Buick Electra Park Avenue Limited. With CB radio, of course. I need that in my life. How was your 74?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There have been so many interesting, clean, and adorable landbarges popping up for sale here lately. Given unlimited garage space, and like, $12,000, i'd own all of them.

(not the same car, just a pic from each ad)

The sad part is, with the GMs it seems none of them have a spec of paint left on the engine. The outside looks cool and under the hood is just a massive pile of rust. My lincoln of the same age and mileage still has the original inspection stamps and stickers and such all over it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You sure you're not just mistaking Chevy Orange engine paint caked with dirt for rust?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No, i'm pretty sure stuff like this used to be blue.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Might've been, if that's a V6. Most of the Chevy engines anyone is going to care about will have been orange or red at the factory though.

My Camaro's block looked like a hunk of rust, but it was just dirty orange paint starting to flake.

E: I've always preferred grey or light blue myself, makes it a lot easier to spot leaks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is a yacht thread, that is a cadillac.

luxury cars don't have 6 cylinder engines.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Powershift posted:

Bentley Speed Six? Granted it's not an american luxobarge, but it's huge, luxurious and I don't think anyone can call "not american" a handicap.

vvvvv true, although I'm sure they also had bad points

Vindolanda fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 21, 2014

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Vindolanda posted:

Bentley Speed Six? Granted it's not an american luxobarge, but it's huge, luxurious and I don't think anyone can call "not american" a handicap.

1920s luxury meant "panel gaps merely leak badly, car only actively tried to kill you on days of the week ending in 'ay', but it has a long wheelbase so you don't notice the lower classes when you drive over them, and a huge fuel tank so you can usually get it under power to a footman who can deal with that whole ghastly business of commerce with the proletariat".

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

True, it's possible it could be a four cylinder if its a Caddy.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

True, it's possible it could be a four cylinder if its a Caddy.

Never remember.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The Cadillac of the proletariat :patriot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I know it's from a different era than the cars everyone is saying look evil, but I always thought the 1950 Buicks looked positively murderous, and 1959s with those incredibly angry wing-eyebrows aren't far behind.

All this grille says to me is "I'm going to mash your skull like a loving potato."

And I'm going to be angry while I do it!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

11BulletCatcher posted:

You said that magical B word. Buick. Electra. I am always looking to see if I can't find a '76 Buick Electra Park Avenue Limited. With CB radio, of course. I need that in my life. How was your 74?

I had two: a '73, then a '72. The best-riding cars ever, hands-down; better than the Cadillac. Smooth as hell. 455ci engines. Zero roadfeel. The '73 gave up its motor & drivetrain for a '69 Cutlass convertible :getin:

As for paint, the valve covers still had most of their orange, but the block & intake gave it up long before I got them.

The second Bonneville was a 1-family car, and was extremely well-cared for. Even so, the motor looked like this when I bought it in 2000, with 98K on the clock. Which ain't bad:

By 2010, it looked like this at 109K, before rebuild:

and after.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now i understand your username!

I don't really mean that, but the set-up was too perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=4477&acctid=4244

Bid wisely my friends.