Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

Glad to see this thread! I was hoping to pick up a 70s land yacht for a project sometime next summer, should give some ideas at least.

The beauty of these old cars is there are still a ton of land yachts running around in moderately decent shape for very little money. The motors and transmissions will go forever, and usually the suspensions just need replaced (again dirt cheap).

Hell these cars are cheap to wrench on, parts are extremely plentiful, and after you ditch the electronic feedback carbs and associated bullshit, are pretty drat reliable.

If I can find a picture of my old Chrysler LeBaron, I will post it. It was mildly warmed over, 318ci motor, a very very mild cam, just a plain 2 barrel carb, but it would scoot pretty decently down the road, and actually was decent on fuel when it wasn't caned. I think I could muster 20 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Is it inappropriate that I want to put bull horns on the front of that, one of those multi tone horns, and cruise around in that all drat day?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
God drat that is clean. How much did you snag that up for if you don't mind me asking?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
As long as the headgasket has been fixed properly in a Northstar motor you arelooking at years of good service. Plus that engine makes fantastic noise when you romp the poo poo out of it.

Towncars are decent, floaty rides. The modular V8 has lots own set of issues, like the spark plugs, etc. Drive both and see what you like.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

STS platform in those years was mature and solid, as well. Smaller, though, and had a design that was pretty dated by then.

I like the looks of the STS and eldorado of those years. I drove a 97 STS for about 6 months. After taking care of the squishy suspension, it actually handled decently for a FWD barge. It wasn't a 3 series by any means, but it was fun to sling shot through a clover leaf getting on the interstate.

There's lots of into about proper head gasket repairs online, read up about them. If that scares you, head over to the panther mega thread. The town car is based on that platform. Its dated but an extremely solid ride.

• Locked thread