Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
I decided because of this thread to combine my acrylic paintings and stencils.
I am now on a stencil making spree. And by spree I mean I only finished two paintings thus far.

Also who else's thumb goes numb when making stencils? It's like a pinch a nerve BUT GOD HELP ME I WILL NOT STOP
I also took a smaaalll sliver of my other thumb off.
ART IS PAIN

AltruisticNemesis fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

poeticoddity posted:

I was going to look up the model of xacto knife I have (it's the X2000, which I've been happy with), but apparently there are new and exciting varieties: http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/knives.aspx

A comfortable knife is usually less than 10 bucks more than an uncomfortable one, and is the difference between being able to cut for half an hour and four hours, in my experience.

I actually use expired surgical scalpel blades and handles (not in a creepy murder way, I am an RVT and it's better than throwing out boxes of blades when they go bad.) They are ridiculously sharp.

It was like 3 hours later when I realized my thumb was numb, is that typical time? I wrapped some cushy bandage material around the handle yesterday and my thumb never went numb, so maybe I solved my own problem.

What kind of paper is the least expensive but best for stenciling? I currently use 65lb sketch paper and it works pretty well but the stencil doesnt hold shape very well after.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

poeticoddity posted:

I was put off of scalpels the first time I snapped one that dug into a cutting surface (and it flew past my face).

With a good xacto knife, I'm usually pretty comfortable cutting thicker acetate for an hour or so. Maybe two if it's thinner. I have rather little experience cutting paper stencils, but I do know it doesn't require nearly as much pressure to cut as acetate, so it can be cut for longer and often faster.

I use acetate (overhead transparencies for small pieces and cut lengths from a 20' roll for larger stencils) for all of my stencils lately but the consensus seems to be posterboard if you're going to be using paper for the actual stencil.

Yeah maybe the scalpels just work for me now cause I'm using thin-rear end paper. I also use 11 blades which have a nice tiny point for eeeetsy-biiitsyyy details. It's also the same kind of blade we use to bevel little holes in bone/joints if we dont have a large enough gauge needle, so it's a strong little point. Though I feel if I went to thicker paper plus my force when stenciling I'll probably end up with a blade in my eye.

Stenciling is actually super fun so I'm going to try doing it more legit with quality paperstock and such. It's busy hand work, which I like and makes awesome results.

• Locked thread