Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

On the 'why poo poo is so hosed', it doesn't help that most of these countries are stuck dealing with terrible economic policies. If you want to get a loan from the IMF or the World Bank, they will saddle you with a pile of terrible neoliberal policies that will damage your economy horribly (of course assuring you that they will help bring your country into the new millennium). Even if you want to forgo those loans and assistance (which is hard to do when colonial rule, petty despots, and modern corporations have savaged your economy) you are stuck dealing with stuff like uneven trading policies and subsidy rules that results in crap like EU dumping produce in developing markets.

Kicking Away the Ladder is a book that attacks modern economic policy as basically a FYGM on a global level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

He emphasized that the toll is "far larger than has been recorded, not because they are trying to hide anything but because they are really overwhelmed by these numbers." Beyond this, he said, the cases "are increasing at an extremely quick rate, and this is very alarming."

As bad as the Ebola situation is, Frieden warned that the worst is yet to come. "Unfortunately, we are definitely not at the peak. It's going to get worse before it gets better," he said. "The real question is how much worse will it get? How many more people will be infected and how much more risk to the world will there be?"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/08/26/343436300/cdc-director-on-ebola-we-are-definitely-not-at-the-peak

This is, very depressingly, reminding me of the situation in Rwanda during the genocide. It was public, it was televised, there was no secret about what was going on, but everyone was just sort of gawping at it mindlessly, unwilling to actually do anything substantive. In particular, this quote reminds me of Gaillard (who was with the Red Cross, one of the few groups that actually remained in the country:

quote:

I remember a couple of funny phone calls from BBC London who made the first call around the 20th of April asking me the same question, "What's your estimation of the number of people killed?" and I told them at least 250,000. One week later they called again and asked me, "What's your estimation today?" So I told them, "You can double it. Five hundred thousand people have been killed." One week later they made a last call about this very specific question … and I answered, "Listen, after half a million, sir, I stopped counting." This was broadcast … in the beginning of May. Everybody knew every day, live, what was happening in this country. You could follow that every day on TV, on radio.

• Locked thread