Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

From my (very long time ago) year as an ESL teacher in Japan:

"What did you do this weekend?"
"We went balling"
"Do you mean bowling?"
"Yes"
"Oh good"

"I understand what 'gently caress you' is, but what is 'gently caress me!'?"
(this student was watching Kevin Costner flicks to practice English -- it wasn't my idea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

joedevola posted:

Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't you? I'm (yet another) English teacher in Korea and the first thing I noticed when I got here was just how much English there is. It's absolutely everywhere, and a lot of it makes no sense. English is a totem of cultural sophistication and economic stability and is used extensively in advertising, but the companies using it don't seem to care what is being said as long as it's in English. This leads to the 'She's COMING!~' and 'NEVER ENDING CLIMAX' stuff that we all enjoy so much.

The target of those ads isn't 'people who speak English' so like you say, it's enough to just use some English words (in Japan I noticed they liked 'fashion' and 'enjoy' a lot) for show and leave it at that.

I'd pick on them for it but every time I go into some craft store and there's rocks covered with Chinese characters (which may mean 'wealth' or 'happiness' or 'peace' but could easily be 'This sucker can't read Chinese' or 'This is a rock') I'm reminded the Koreans/Japanese aren't the only ones who do that type of thing.

edit: on topic, I played 'Name __ things that are ___' with my SDF (Japanese air force) students, and got two good ones
"Name 5 things that are black: 1) Darth Vader"
"Name 5 things that are soft: 1) A woman's breasts"

Oh you crazy flyboys.

Tochiazuma has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Dec 28, 2013

• Locked thread