Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Today in class (high school, Japan), I was doing an activity that involved six playing cards. With my first period class, I made the mistake of handing the cards out to the groups at the start of class, rather than right before the part of the activity that involved them. Naturally, they couldn't resist playing/fidgeting with them while they were supposed to be working on other stuff. I walked by one boy who was busy building a house of cards instead of filling out the worksheet for the next part of the activity. He looks at me, looks at the cards, and says "Trump Tower" in the most matter-of-fact tone possible.

"trump" (or "torampu") is Japanese for "playing cards".

I also miiight keep a text file of funny stuff they say/do:

From another worksheet:

If I were 20 years old ____________.
"If I were twenty years old, I would be samurai"

3) If you had one million yen, what would you do?
"I would use it for cats."
"I would buy two sword" (from the samurai kid)
One of the loud boys, to a girl passing in the hall between classes: "HOW ARE YOU?"
Girl: "You...aren't...cool!"
Japanese co-teacher had students designing T-shirts (in English) for the school Culture Festival during the last part of class. There were suggestions like 'The sky is the limit!" and "Fight!", etc. One boy went back through his textbook, and made an elaborately decorated shirt that read "COULD YOU PASS ME THE SALT?"
Me: I went to Aogashima (translated literally, "blue island") for summer vacation. How about you?
Student: I went to... Oni-ga-shima (lit: "devil island")
Me: Where is that?
Student, without pausing to think: "It's in your heart."
In one activity, I was described by various technical school students (the worst-behaved/worst English/funniest) as "cool", "white", "human", and "big penis". If only I could get them to write my CV for me...
In class reviewing answers on a directions activity:
Japanese co-teacher: "Okay, what's the answer for "A"? (answer is a number that corresponds to a direction)
Students, in unison: "6!"
One boy, in the back, quietly to himself: "Meatball."
I think "cold bear" (polar bear) might have topped "aqua stadium" (aquarium) for most awesome guesses of English words they don't know by my students.
Me: "[student], why do you like K-pop?"
[student]: "Because they have sexy hips and legs."
Me: "How about the music?"
[student]: "Ummm... yes?"
Was teaching a class of 6 boys. One of them asked me how old I was when I got my first kiss, so after I answered I turned it around on them and asked them if they'd kissed a girl yet. The shrimpy kid who hadn't hit puberty yet says "yes" in Japanese and his buddy goes "お母さん?" [Your mother?]. No way I couldn't laugh at that.
In my girlfriend's after school English club, one of her students wrote "IS GOD DIE?" on the board, to show her exasperation with finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread