Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I taught middle-school level English in France last year. I taught them the word "fart" (highly recommended) and one of them stands up and says, "MADAM HE IS FART!"

Also had to convince them that you can't say someone is "a black" in English.

The Power of Heart posted:

She gasped and looked at me and said "THAT'S why whenever I took you to the wharf to look at the seals people would stare at us! To them it looked like I was letting my three year old daughter run around saying "gently caress! gently caress! gently caress!""

This one and "la douche". It literally took me to be completely fluent before I didn't think this was funny anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Groda posted:

I've come across missionaries in Sweden who would approach you on the street, run off a few sentences and ask if they could continue in English.

Anyone else see this in countries with more popular languages?

I think Mitt Romney's French can prove that is not the case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyP2M0DTch8

I do know that when I was abroad with Rotary Youth Exchange, they used the LDS cultural guides a lot, especially for non-Western countries, albeit introducing them with "so take this with a grain of salt..."

• Locked thread