Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

"Which do you like, poop taste curry or curry taste poop?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Outrail posted:

And is the korean food a ha ha karean food is boring as gently caress thing? The bbq in LA was great but I live in SW Australia and miss out on cultural awareness.

Korean food is delicious and interesting but it's not famously varied in flavor. Sour or spicy, your choice!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ladron posted:

Here's part of it - the teacher's exam is insanely difficult, I mean insanely. It's a mutli-hour test on theories and who had what idea for language acquisition and things like that that have no real bearing in the classroom. Passing it, however, pretty much guarantees you a well-paying job for life with lots of vacation. Actually speaking English well is almost an afterthought. And, to a great extent, most of the teachers don't. The last president tried to institute a TEE (Teaching English in English) test that all English teachers would have to take to keep their jobs. Long-term teachers who had really lovely English were making GBS threads their pants about this because they knew they were about to lose their jobs. This initiative kinda failed, and so everything's back where it started: teachers who don't really speak the language instructing unmotivated students via rote memorization because that's just the way it's done. They've tried to bring in a bunch of native speakers to instruct students a few hours a day (ala bringmyfishback, to whom I mean no offense). Unfortunately, the majority of these native speakers have just graduated from college, have no formal training as teachers and even less as English instructors. They mostly serve as living tape recorders for the students to hear a real live English speaker. Recently, the government has come to the conclusion that the costs vs. benefits of having native speakers just isn't worth it, so many provinces and cities are phasing the native speaker program out.

This, in my opinion, will only make the language academies (of which there are a metric shitload) even richer, because even if little Wonho isn't learning anything, by god at least he's in school 18 hours a day, so he has to pick up something through osmosis. Everyone is so gung-ho about learning English because it's seen as the key to being successful.

It's pretty hosed up all around.

Take that girl who wrote the essay I showed earlier - that's the product of 11 loving years of English instruction, and her spoken English isn't much better.

And pretty much the same can be said for Japan, except that the government is just trying to pay the native speakers less, rather than getting rid of us.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

bringmyfishback posted:

ME: “Okay, who knows what ‘to dispose of’ means?”
STUDENT 1: “I know. It’s when you throw someone out.”
ME: “SomeONE?”
STUDENT 1: “Oh! Oh, no!” *laughs* “SomeTHING!”
STUDENT 2: “But if it is a dead body, then you are still correct.”

This somehow reminded me of a great instance from my old eikaiwa days. The only people in Japan with enough time AND money to regularly attend are invariably retirees and some of them have quite the sense of humor.

Me: "What did you do last weekend?"
Student: "I bought something!"
Me: "Oh, what did you buy?"
Student: "Let's guess! It's expensive... It is made of stone... It's my home in the future.. Can you guess?"
Me: "I give up!" (Because stone house seemed like a stupid guess.)
Student(with the biggest rear end grin on his face): "It's a grave!"
Me: :gonk:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For some reason one of the teachers thought that the junior high third years were ready to write a biographical report. They were wrong and I've spent the best part of this week grinding through their papers.

"John Lennon received four bullets."

"Life is either. Do you challenge with courage or fall on a stick?"
-Helen Keller (Did you know "she died for 1968 years"? That's pretty impressive!)

Of the hundred I've read so far, less than 10 were approaching coherency, and that's not including the students who apparently thought they could get away with writing out Wikipedia articles word for word.

RillAkBea has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Jan 16, 2014

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

"in my country we make lightsabers. Other countries start war, but we start peace."

Spoken like a true arms dealer. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think "cold bear" (polar bear) might have topped "aqua stadium" (aquarium) for most awesome guesses of English words they don't know by my students.

One of my favorites is "fire machine" in lieu of 'heater' which is double bizarre because they have 'heater' as a loan word anyway.

• Locked thread