Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ubiquitous text
Feb 2, 2009
"I can't love pork" - 7 year old saudi boy. He seemed really disheatened.

One school I worked at was next to a butchers, very little else on the street, and they got smart and started having barbeques outside everyday for what passes as summer in England. One day, in reception:

Teacher: What are you eating?
Morbidly obese Saudi manchild: A gammon! :downs:
Teacher: You know that's pork, right?
Morbidly obese Saudi manchild: No, is gammon.
Teacher: It's pork. Gammon is pork.
Morbidly obese Saudi manchild: :doh: (in such a way to suggest that this is not the first time he's mistakenly eaten pork).

My school was mostly saudis trying to by IELTS to get into the local university. Some were very savvy, polite and engaged. Others were not. There was one guy, Nwaimis al-Nwaimis (actual name, gently caress him), who had ended up in upper int. since he'd been with us for literally years and got bumped due to changing class sizes and knowing how to play the system. He told us once about a film he saw, about an English freedom fighter, who had a war against Scotland and was crowned king (or something equally retarded). The name of the film? Strong Heart!

edit - I know this will probably look racist, since I've picked on three Saudis. But if you've ever taught EFL in England, you'll know the score. I could probably try to force myself to remember what the fuckton of Austrians whom I've taught have said, but they were fluent enough to be cool. However "English food is poo poo" kinda got on my nerves. True to an extent, but please bear in mind that you are at host family who needs the extra income, so frozen pizzas probably shouldn't be a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread