Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I worked at a resort hotel that saw a lot of Japanese guests and tour groups. They actually headhunted part timers from my high school japanese course, assuming it would make things smoother at the front desk. I didn't do so hot.

I would hear something like "you get bears here sometimes, right?" and completely miss the unspoken question of "should I be worried?"
To their dismay, I usually answered with a jovial "Yep! :haw: "

One night, lighting struck near the substation, prompting the utility company to cut the power while they checked for possible damage. One of the tour directors came down to ask what happened to the lights, and I came up with "they are watching the electric factory burn. Over soon, no problem!"

Few years later, studying abroad in Japan, I also sat in a Russian course. Transliterated, my last name apparently sounds a lot like "elephant". This being Japan, and I being a tall foreigner, I was also head and shoulders above most of the class. Our instructor thought this was hilarious and had to call on me by first name instead because he couldn't say "Mr Elephant" with a straight face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread