Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

A Meat posted:

Honestly, thinking about it, the description you guys give of how English is taught in Korea and China is similar to how bad the teaching of Arabic is in Israel. (Only without some of the baggage teaching Arabic has in Israel)

Sort of a disclaimer: I only studied Arabic for one and a half years, while most kids have at least three years of it. Not that there were any classes divided by skill level or anything, everyone studied together, and I missed a year and a half in the middle. I learned only the Arabic Alphabet, how to phonetically read words (very slowly) and some basic Arabic, some of which I knew beforehand. What was taught was either canned phrases and words, with little to no practice, or it was attempted to teach the grammatical structure of the language without any points of reference to understand it with. Nobody made any effort to practice or learn Arabic beyond the lessons which were almost entirely in Hebrew anyways.

I'm sort of guessing the low-effort English teachers in some countries are sort of like my experience with Arabic in Israel.

The big difference between that and learning English in Asian schools is that Hebrew and Arabic are very similar in a lot of ways.
Then again I don't remember what little of it I learned in school and I am really good with languages so maybe you'e got a point after all :shobon:
(well that and I was a very bad student and probably skipped half of the classes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

RELEASE HER, AND SPREAD THE HAPPY VIRUS.

It's working already :haw:

• Locked thread