Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Postal Parcel posted:

I hate to be *that guy* but I've rarely seen anyone who has taken only classes for a non-native language actually learn it successfully. I don't say that to discredit teachers, I say that because if you don't do some (intense)self-study and only do what classes tell you to do for the entire period, you won't become successful in the language. It's a skill you have to practice, and unlike math, you probably can't cram for it before hand and hope to at least get a pass in life. It's also not teachers faults all the time. Students move at different paces and to actually cover enough to bring proficiency in a reasonable amount of time would require a LOT of commitment on the part of the students.

Since a lot of this has been Asian ESL stories, I'll relate learning Japanese. It was good motivation to be in a class because learning was tied to my grades, but it wasn't until I had a real chance to use it when I learned how inadequate I was. Then I buckled down, studied all the kanji I could(that's ~2000 for the common use), and practiced on my own. I still have a way to go, but had I just done what classes taught, I'd never have reached this point.

Of course. If you only come into contact with a foreign language in the context of a classic educational environment, you are never going to be able to master it. You need to be immersed in it, and if that's not the case by default, you need the motivation and determination to create a situation in which you are.

I had had eight years of French when I graduated high school, yet I still wasn't particularly good at speaking or writing it correctly. It's a miracle that these Korean children manage to write semi-comprehensible English at all, given that it's a completely unrelated language that uses a different alphabet to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bringmyfishback posted:

"Mr. Duck was so stupid. He thought people use shampoo to brush their teeth. His teeth were stinky, so he went to supermarket and bought a bottle of shampoo. He also bought two mangos, because he loved mangos. He came home and ate a mango but their was a worm. He trash it. He went swimming and he tried to go to his home. It was rainy but he didn't bring his raincoat. He was wet, so he was stinky."

Not bad at all. He misspelled 'there', but that's a common mistake among native speakers as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

I grew up Mormon (didn't go on a mission) and the church has always been prideful of it's Missionary Training Center's ability to teach new missionaries a foreign language in like a month and a half. Does anyone know what method they use? I'm sure part of the success is that the 18 year olds they ship off to foreign countries have no option but to learn since they start knocking on doors right away.

As a side note: growing up rumor was the military was so impressed with LDS missionary language skills that they asked them to share their teaching methods, but it turned out to not work for them. Naturally the church said it was because the Spirit of the Lord wasn't accompanying the solders. Or something.

It's true. I remember being approached by Mormon missionaries in central Leuven a few years back, and they spoke nearly perfect Dutch when we struck up a conversation. I recall thinking to myself that it was a shame they were wasting their impressive linguistic skills on missionary work. Especially in Europe, which has to be such a thankless region to proselytize in.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The true part refers to Mormon missionaries generally speaking foreign languages well, not to them having some sort of special method.

The 'secret', as Aerdan said, is more than likely just immersion coupled with determination, discipline and intelligence, all stimulated by strong religious convictions.

• Locked thread