Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Student 1: I like soccer, baseball, and basketball. I like playing with balls.

Student 2: I don't like foreign food because it all tastes the same. Korean food is much more varied. (Only funny if you're familiar with Korean food.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

My biggest facepalm is one I get pretty often!

Student: Teacher, where you from?
Me: South Africa.
Student: But... *long pause* ...you're white.

Sometimes, I don't even get "but" - I just get "No." There are no white people in Africa.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

You forgot sweet! That is a critical component of korean food. MORE SUGAR! ALL THE SUGAR!

Sweet garlic bread. :( Why would you glaze almost all of your bread with sugar? Why would you serve garlic bread covered in syrup?! Why?! I just... I just really want some good garlic bread that doesn't taste like candy.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

^^ Ha ha ha!

Let's see, we were doing free speaking and one student described himself as a "great lover." After some questioning, it turned out he meant lover of alcohol.

That same day, another student insisted on describing children as "sexy." After some questioning, it turned out he meant... sexy. :(

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

I don't actually have a quote, but I *did* just walk in on a couple of my students goose-stepping, doing the Nazi salute and all. When they saw my expression they hastened to assure me that they were performing and would never really do that. Now, they are supposed to be making a mockumentary for this camp and may have been rehearsing a scene, so... I look forward to seeing how that turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

So, I'm teaching debate to undergrad students for a five-week intensive English camp. Their first formal debate was on whether women should join the military in Korea. The con side had an irrefutable argument: "Women should not join the military because they are weaker mentally than men. We can see this because if a man goes shoe shopping, he buys shoes. If a woman goes shoe shopping, she buys everything. This shows they are complicated, so weaker."

Another class had one student going "Women are less than men," then seeing my expression and hastily changing it to "less strong mentally than men." :eng99:

The worst part is none of the girls in the class tried to refute his argument, and they just looked confused when I suggested they might want to try.

• Locked thread