Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Wow, the English teaching situation in South Korea sounds pretty bad if most of the teachers aren't actually fluent in English, but use rote memorization to teach.

I can shed some light on what I went through as a native English speaker having to go through ESL classes in school in Israel, if that's of any interest to anybody. (It's much much better than what you guys describe about East Asia, most young people here can understand and speak english on a level where they can more or less communicate in English.)

I don't think any of my teachers were EVER native English speakers (one of them spoke english as her 4th language). There were "native-speaker" level classes sometimes, but they were generally just filled with kids who were good at English, and maybe one or two actual native speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Honestly, thinking about it, the description you guys give of how English is taught in Korea and China is similar to how bad the teaching of Arabic is in Israel. (Only without some of the baggage teaching Arabic has in Israel)

Sort of a disclaimer: I only studied Arabic for one and a half years, while most kids have at least three years of it. Not that there were any classes divided by skill level or anything, everyone studied together, and I missed a year and a half in the middle. I learned only the Arabic Alphabet, how to phonetically read words (very slowly) and some basic Arabic, some of which I knew beforehand. What was taught was either canned phrases and words, with little to no practice, or it was attempted to teach the grammatical structure of the language without any points of reference to understand it with. Nobody made any effort to practice or learn Arabic beyond the lessons which were almost entirely in Hebrew anyways.

I'm sort of guessing the low-effort English teachers in some countries are sort of like my experience with Arabic in Israel.

Also a question I have to you ESL teachers, do you allow (or are you even allowed to allow) dictionaries to be used in tests?

• Locked thread