Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

bringmyfishback posted:

Wow, I am terribly sorry. I told the wrong story about the wrong university friend.

A different guy, who grew up in Somerville, Massachusetts, took Japanese for all four years of high school, too.

I hate to be *that guy* but I've rarely seen anyone who has taken only classes for a non-native language actually learn it successfully. I don't say that to discredit teachers, I say that because if you don't do some (intense)self-study and only do what classes tell you to do for the entire period, you won't become successful in the language. It's a skill you have to practice, and unlike math, you probably can't cram for it before hand and hope to at least get a pass in life. It's also not teachers faults all the time. Students move at different paces and to actually cover enough to bring proficiency in a reasonable amount of time would require a LOT of commitment on the part of the students.

Since a lot of this has been Asian ESL stories, I'll relate learning Japanese. It was good motivation to be in a class because learning was tied to my grades, but it wasn't until I had a real chance to use it when I learned how inadequate I was. Then I buckled down, studied all the kanji I could(that's ~2000 for the common use), and practiced on my own. I still have a way to go, but had I just done what classes taught, I'd never have reached this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread