Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

*said by 20yo French girl with a strong accent*

Ze south of France 'as the most beautiful beaches in ze world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

It's true. I remember being approached by Mormon missionaries in central Leuven a few years back, and they spoke nearly perfect Dutch when we struck up a conversation. I recall thinking to myself that it was a shame they were wasting their impressive linguistic skills on missionary work. Especially in Europe, which has to be such a thankless region to proselytize in.

Well, it's a true anecdote. I imagine that if there really was something to this method I would have at least heard about it in my TEFL/TESL MA course. I think it's more likely that they've designed a test of what needs to be learned and then taught for that test.

A student from Côte d'Ivoire was writing an essay about what they do on their national holiday and she had something like "all of the soldiers defile with flags in front of the president." (défiler in French means "to march")

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

A student gave me a flyer about chemtrails today. I had already corrected the grammar and spelling before he told me he'd found it in town. I honestly couldn't decide whether it was better or worse than his usual.

• Locked thread