Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Gender politics as understood by Korean teenagers.

Dropbear posted:

On the subject, since I know next to nothing about Asian languages can someone explain the whole "engrish"-thing to me - why do the English translations of Asian movies / advertisements / games etc. seem like complete gibberish so often? You'd think there would be at least one guy in pretty much any company fluent enough in the language to notice all the nonsense before releasing whatever's being translated...

Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't you? I'm (yet another) English teacher in Korea and the first thing I noticed when I got here was just how much English there is. It's absolutely everywhere, and a lot of it makes no sense. English is a totem of cultural sophistication and economic stability and is used extensively in advertising, but the companies using it don't seem to care what is being said as long as it's in English. This leads to the 'She's COMING!~' and 'NEVER ENDING CLIMAX' stuff that we all enjoy so much.

I think the kids are getting better, even as the native speaking teacher program is being wound down. The elementary school kids I teach now are definitely more comfortable and capable speaking English than the middle school kids I taught a few years ago.

I don't blame them at all, unless you've a natural talent for it, language learning is a pain in the rear end. That's my excuse for having been here for so long and knowing basically no Korean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

bringmyfishback posted:

The black card was "What's that smell?" and one kid excitedly picked the white card "my dad."

Was that from the set I uploaded to Waygook.org?

If so... awesome.

edit for content:

The best combinations I got were:

In Iron Man 4, Iron Man will fight [a baby]

Yesterday I sat on [my girlfriend / Jesus]

My favorite animal is [Kim Jong Eun]

joedevola has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Feb 18, 2014

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

AstroBravo posted:

I was disgusted at her bumbling.

Fantastic.

To contribute, yesterday I was told by a student that I have a face like a raccoon. So there's that.

• Locked thread