Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Javid posted:

some states/shitholes the cops will hassle you about stuff hanging in your view, but I would not effort much harder than binder clipping it to the visors to run it down a pillar or something

Pretty sure that was what got Tyre Nichols pulled over and then, unrelatedly, beaten to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrox posted:

I have it on good authority but nobody ever goes back and looks at that continuous running footage unless something really good/bad happened.

That's... true, though if you're making a roadtrip movie, it's great to have some time laps footage to cut to.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mobby_6kl posted:

That's... true, though if you're making a roadtrip movie, it's great to have some time laps footage to cut to.

if you need quality footage then it’s not going to be better at capturing that than a dedicated action camera, but it will be much much better at being a dashcam than something like a gopro will

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Sorry, yeah, should have specified this is purely for fun/aesthetic reasons and not for serious/insurance purposes.

I kind of envisioned doing a time-lapse video afterward, although I can't help but wonder if something interesting on the road might happen over the course of several days on the road. (I realize the answer may well be "probably not".)

Javid posted:

some states/shitholes the cops will hassle you about stuff hanging in your view, but I would not effort much harder than binder clipping it to the visors to run it down a pillar or something

I like the binder clip idea! And it's going to be a solo trip so I can run it down the passenger side and not give a gently caress about the wire dangling across anyone's legs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:whitewater:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

you got this avatar too i see. there's a mad avatarer afoot

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cactus Ghost posted:

you got this avatar too i see. there's a mad avatarer afoot

I'm starting to see a lot of people with the same Biden birthday cake av lately too :tinfoil:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

gopro is not a good dash cam

no, but for a timelapse project like this it would probably work okay. I did it briefly before getting my current dashcam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnxgYyoaK7A

Of course my actual cam looks much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP2-IsU3vAE

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

no, but for a timelapse project like this it would probably work okay. I did it briefly before getting my current dashcam:

Not a single person watched any of those videos from start to finish, yourself included.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

that second one was a real cliff-hanger, i did NOT expect 27:52

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
y'all are mean :mad:

Here's one of my time-lapses to ignore, especially the part at 1:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlhWPniOZEY&t=117s

For real though Rev. Bleech_ I think the appeal on some of these would be watching the landscape morph or going through some weather or interesting topographic features. Nothing wrong with what you've put up, and its kind of cool to watch and skip around.

For me, I'd planned to take about 60 minutes of video and compress into 4 minutes or less to suit today's attention spans.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I did in fact watch this one because I've driven this stretch many times, and stayed at a house at 3:47 this past summer.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

NoWake posted:

y'all are mean :mad:

No kidding. I'd have thought being in Ohio was punishment enough.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Rinkles posted:

Any one have any opinions on this deal? Sorry I'm struggling with figuring out what's important in a dash cam.

https://www.amazon.com/70mai-Parking-Recording-Android-Control/dp/B09YCZ7PYW?th=1

I just finished installing this and tucking all the cables under the trim in my car not five minutes ago. I've had it hooked up and running flawlessly for the last week after the Viofo I ordered was a total piece of poo poo and got sent back. Once I was happy knowing that the 70MAI wasn't going to suck rear end straight out of the box as it sat with cables dangling everywhere since last weekend, I figured I wouldn't be returning it. So far I am neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed. It's cool to have a rear camera, and it sees through dark tint really well, but a dashcam is a dashcam is a dashcam so long as it works consistently and reliably. License plate readability is pretty terrible so far, even in decent lighting conditions, but I did install this custom firmware a few hours ago to see if it doesn't help at all. I won't be able to report on that for a day or two though, and I guess I'll have to read any plates out loud for the mic to pick up as per standard practice for the last 7 years with these things.

Also, it's probably worth it to mention that if you or your sister have never installed something like this, you might want to budget to have someone do the work of running all of the wires through the fuse box and up through the trim for you, because I know what I'm doing and it was still a major pain in the rear end on a 16 year old Pontiac. It'll probably be an hour shop time at any reasonable garage, plus fuse taps or even the parking surveillance cable that I see is sold separately and won't let me engage that mode without it. :argh: I can imagine someone with little to no DIY skill receiving this kit as a present and being happy about receiving a dashcam, then either seeing what's involved in setting it up and just deciding to not even try it, or trying to get by with cables dangling all over the place only to in-relatively-short-order get frustrated with how messy it is and decide to get rid of it. But that probably goes for most dual dashcam systems and wouldn't necessarily be attributable to this one alone.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 2, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

XYZAB posted:

I just finished installing this and tucking all the cables under the trim in my car not five minutes ago. I've had it hooked up and running flawlessly for the last week after the Viofo I ordered was a total piece of poo poo and got sent back. Once I was happy knowing that the 70MAI wasn't going to suck rear end straight out of the box as it sat with cables dangling everywhere since last weekend, I figured I wouldn't be returning it. So far I am neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed. It's cool to have a rear camera, and it sees through dark tint really well, but a dashcam is a dashcam is a dashcam so long as it works consistently and reliably. License plate readability is pretty terrible so far, even in decent lighting conditions, but I did install this custom firmware a few hours ago to see if it doesn't help at all. I won't be able to report on that for a day or two though, and I guess I'll have to read any plates out loud for the mic to pick up as per standard practice for the last 7 years with these things.

Also, it's probably worth it to mention that if you or your sister have never installed something like this, you might want to budget to have someone do the work of running all of the wires through the fuse box and up through the trim for you, because I know what I'm doing and it was still a major pain in the rear end on a 16 year old Pontiac. It'll probably be an hour shop time at any reasonable garage, plus fuse taps or even the parking surveillance cable that I see is sold separately and won't let me engage that mode without it. :argh: I can imagine someone with little to no DIY skill receiving this kit as a present and being happy about receiving a dashcam, then either seeing what's involved in setting it up and just deciding to not even try it, or trying to get by with cables dangling all over the place only to in-relatively-short-order get frustrated with how messy it is and decide to get rid of it. But that probably goes for most dual dashcam systems and wouldn't necessarily be attributable to this one alone.

Thanks for your impressions. How’s the ui? She’d like something that’s intuitive.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

XYZAB posted:

oof, this concerns me. Which Viofo did you get, and what was wrong with it? I just ordered an A229 plus. I've had the A119V1 and now the A119 Mini2 and haven't had any real problems with them. e: took some time and went through your posts and saw it was the A119 mini2, which I have and had almost 0 issues with.

However, the 229 has the front and back cam and I'm putting it in my SUV (Subaru Ascent), and was wondering how people handled putting the camera on the back glass. I was debating running a connection at the back window so I could replace the wire if necessary but didn't know if that was overkill. Otherwise I am going to just pull it through the roof trim, and give enough slack so it will be loose when the door is open, and hopefully not dangling. I didn't know if people thought that the opening/closing would break the wire/connector causing me to have to replace it or if I'm just overthinking it.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 14, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/4D4lUVL.mp4

This happened earlier today.

The woman driving the SUV is 6 months pregnant and was not feeling well after the hit. The driver who ran the red light actually tried to flee the scene, but was blocked in and forced to stay. Then started screaming at the pregnant lady, challenging her to a fight. What a piece of poo poo.

The reason I have a camera running for over 8 years now is the same exact situation, where I hit a car flying through the red light, and they fled the scene almost immediately. Then police showed up nearly 2 hours later to write it up as a single car accident. Because Philadelphia

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 28, 2024

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I could tell it was Philly from the first frame. Red lights are optional here now, didn't you hear?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

opengl posted:

I could tell it was Philly from the first frame. Red lights are optional here now, didn't you hear?

Always have been

Philadelphia is too busy of a city to worry about traffic infractions. So they focus on parking violations and now automated cameras in major hot spots. And it's sorta kinda helping, but more needs to be done, for sure.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"Too busy of a city for traffic violations" lmao

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

"Too busy of a city for traffic violations" lmao

"Let him go, Lou! Someone going that fast has no time for a ticket."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

boy it's been a banner week for the ol Roav
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudZ6qqqxb8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRzqRD-gH0Q

Didn't even see that second one, I was watching the oncoming lane

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Oof

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

boy it's been a banner week for the ol Roav
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudZ6qqqxb8

https://i.imgur.com/m7VuybY.mp4

vvv
:hmmyes:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 24, 2024

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ban this sick filth

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Couple of road ragers as I was about to pick my kid up from school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Qolg1cPb0

I saw them in my mirror brake-checking each other, swerving, at one point they stopped, one got out, the other took off and gave chase again... anyway, they blow by me and other traffic in the middle lane, then (it's hard to see in the video) the SUV was in the middle lane and the Audi was in oncoming traffic passing them, and almost hit a white pickup head on at speed.

Meanwhile, busses from my son's school are coming in the other lane as well...

Sorry for the formatting, I had to merge two clips together and it did something weird. What do you guys use to merge clips?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CornHolio posted:

What do you guys use to merge clips?

If it's just 2 separate recording from the same source/settings then:

code:
ffmpeg -i "concat:input1.mp4|input2.mp4|input3.mp4|input4.mp4" -c copy output.mp4
Runs basically instantly, there are cleaner ways to do this for larger mergers but for a few this is fine.
(ffmpeg installation instructions not included)

If 2 different recoding types (especially different aspect ratios), either DaVinci Resolve (commercial product but free for personal use with some limiations) or OpenShot (open source, of course free), either way just make sure to start a new project and set the desired resolution on it first, then drag the clips in to the project and make them big/fit as best you can.

Lazy option: Upload the clips individually to youtube, add them to a playlist, link people to that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
avidemux is also super easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CornHolio posted:

What do you guys use to merge clips?
LosslessCut, which AFAIK is basically a GUI that runs ffmpeg underneath. It doesn't actually re-encode the video so it can only cut or join at keyframes and any joined clips have to be the same format but that also means it operates more or less at the speed of your disks and maintains the original quality.