Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
After seeing video after video of idiots in Russia, I decided I have seen enough dumb antics on U.S. roads to somewhat compete.

Based on a few threads in this forum and dashcamtalk.com’s reviews and forums, I picked up a G1W from China (there are various versions, look for the seller estore on eBay).

Despite a hilariously bad interface and directions, it was pretty easy to figure out – and bang for the buck wise it is the best there is at below $70 for HD, sound, auto-looping, etc.

It came with a HDMI converter cable and a cigarette lighter adapter that plugged into the unit’s mini (NOT MICRO) usb port, the cord is about 20 feet long.

I decided to hard-wire it into my Speed3, which involved buying a cheap China e-Bay converter box for 12-volt to usb power, tapping into the fusebox, and snaking a 15 foot (way too long) micro usb wire to the headliner from behind the driver’s side fuse panel, only to discover mini usb. One adapter later and I was set.

So far, the reviews on the G1W are spot on. It is decent for the price, although the sound isn’t terrific and the usb connector isn’t very tight. Previous generations had loose mounts but that appears to be fixed. In addition, I ordered a cheap $6 low profile mount so I can hide it better behind the mirror.

That being said, it is pretty automatic. Since I tapped into accessory power, the dashcam turns on and starts recording once it senses power. Very automated. In addition, the screen turns itself off after three minutes – which is super annoying at night – however, some electrical tape will take care of that.

With five minute loops pre-set, and a 16 gig micro-SD card, I am able to record roughly 2.5 hours of driving until it starts recording over old files again.

I don't have anything fantastic (yet) from the video, just boring holiday roads. But the quality is pretty decent. The latest firmware lets you put your 6-digit license plate number on the videos as well.

Some Sample G1W YouTube Quality Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJZqhS_n0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pR1ITYjKQc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Everyone seems to be getting a G1W since STR posted his. Does anyone have a reliable G1W for those of us not rich enough to get a GoPro or something better?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just to play devil's advocate - would your insurance company have the ability (legally) to force you to disclose video to them under any circumstances? Just thinking of situations where you happen to be speeding or something at the same time someone merges into your car and the insurance company trying to pin stuff on you after seeing the camera when you bring your vehicle in for inspection after making the claim.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
I hope that in the event of an accident I'd have the frame of mind to yank it out and take it with me if possible, I know that police up here generally never use personal security camera footage (a rash of car break-ins and a few people caught the thieves on security camera, the RCMP said no way) but I'd never trust an insurance company.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

VelociBacon posted:

Just to play devil's advocate - would your insurance company have the ability (legally) to force you to disclose video to them under any circumstances? Just thinking of situations where you happen to be speeding or something at the same time someone merges into your car and the insurance company trying to pin stuff on you after seeing the camera when you bring your vehicle in for inspection after making the claim.

Google seems to suggest I won't be getting a discount for a dash cam. I am going to ask regardless.

I am sure, however, their lawyers could force you to hand over the card, if it recorded and you saved it. Lot of variables there.

As for the GoPro, I did look at it but it sure big to sit on top of my windshield 24/7. And I want to at least attempt to leave something on there instead of take it off all the time.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
I too have been researching dash cams and I believe I will be going with the same model for a forward facing camera but there are still a few other interesting models out there and I haven't quite made up my mind. The dashcam market is quite a clusterfuck.

Has anyone thought of mounting a 2nd camera facing rearward also or will a front camera cover the vast majority of accidents where who is at fault is questioned? I have a pretty good idea for mounting a rear camera in my Tacoma but it will take a little fabrication and I'm just not sure if it would be worth it. I have an access cab and I have removed the rear seats for storage so I believe building a mount where the rear head rest once was will work just fine.

Also, on the various dashcam sites people seem to bring up the lack of sound quality as big issues for different cams. Is audio really that important in the event of an accident? I can see it being helpful if there was some road rage afterwards but I don't see how it would help to prove fault of the actual incident.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Not sure on audio, but if I posted a video file online I'd probably strip the audio anyway, due to the likelihood that I was listening to embarrassing music or saying embarrassing things.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I commute on a motorcycle - been running a GoPro for a while. I worry about getting pulled over and the police wanting the thing. :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I commute on a motorcycle - been running a GoPro for a while. I worry about getting pulled over and the police wanting the thing. :v:

They would need at least a warrant and would be unable to legally seize the gopro while they waited to get it so you'd be able to wipe it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VelociBacon posted:

They would need at least a warrant and would be unable to legally seize the gopro while they waited to get it so you'd be able to wipe it.

Then you can get charged with destroying evidence! :buddy:

(you know they would try even if you were like "I went go karting and deleted everything, why are you subpoenaing me?")

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got the PowerUCC PanoramaII. It's more expensive but seems good quality and runs flawlessly unlike the Mini 0801 I got at first.

MoonCricket posted:

I too have been researching dash cams and I believe I will be going with the same model for a forward facing camera but there are still a few other interesting models out there and I haven't quite made up my mind. The dashcam market is quite a clusterfuck.

Has anyone thought of mounting a 2nd camera facing rearward also or will a front camera cover the vast majority of accidents where who is at fault is questioned? I have a pretty good idea for mounting a rear camera in my Tacoma but it will take a little fabrication and I'm just not sure if it would be worth it. I have an access cab and I have removed the rear seats for storage so I believe building a mount where the rear head rest once was will work just fine.

Also, on the various dashcam sites people seem to bring up the lack of sound quality as big issues for different cams. Is audio really that important in the event of an accident? I can see it being helpful if there was some road rage afterwards but I don't see how it would help to prove fault of the actual incident.

I'd like a rear one too but I'll have to wait a while. Don't really care about the audio quality.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I have been wanting to get one for the crown vic but night video will pretty important since I drive around 20k miles at night per year. What would be the best if budget wasn't really an issue?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Holdbrooks posted:

I have been wanting to get one for the crown vic but night video will pretty important since I drive around 20k miles at night per year. What would be the best if budget wasn't really an issue?

I've got a GoPro HERO3+. I love it for night-time recording. also, if you're mounting it somewhere you can't easily access the power button, I'd recommend picking up either the black edition that comes with the wi-fi remote or buying the remote.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Devyl posted:

I've got a GoPro HERO3+. I love it for night-time recording. also, if you're mounting it somewhere you can't easily access the power button, I'd recommend picking up either the black edition that comes with the wi-fi remote or buying the remote.

I have a silver version of that and used it for a while but was using battery power and always forgot to turn it on and off

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I want a car DVR that mounts under a seat and lets me run 3+ bullet cameras to different areas of the car and will record for 1+ hour after parking the car. Anything like this out there?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I bought a Mobius and I am very happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M

It doesn't have a screen - but to be honest, you don't need one, so why pay for one?

This also makes it slimline, so it tucks up out of the way pretty easily and looks less like something you would want to steal. build quality seems pretty good - it has a real feeling of quality about it, rather than the plastic crap you tend to get.

The camera is easy to setup with some freeware software. Image quality is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZ8UMDQ_EA

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I bought a G1W a month or so ago and like it a lot. The HD video quality is nice and the night time video is great as well. You'll have no problem reading a plate number at night if it's reasonably close.
Instead of buying a converter I just added a second switched power socket under my dash and plugged the camera into that.
I've heard the battery in the G1W craps out if left in the sun for a long time so I've been pulling mine instead of leaving it in the truck. I usually only drive once or twice a week anyway so it would spend most of it's time cooking rather than recording anything.

I also use a GoPro Hero 3 when I ride but it's a pain in the rear end since it doesn't automatically charge or loop. I commute 60 miles a day so that means I have to remember to charge it and erase the card every two days or so. I also don't have a great place to mount it on my bike that doesn't shake it to poo poo so the video is a little wobbly. You are able to read license plate numbers if you pause.

I really like recording while I'm driving. It gives me a little piece of mind.
The last accident I was in was caused by a nearly dead AARP fossil decided to gun it across traffic because he couldn't see that he had no turn arrow (or didn't feel like waiting anymore). Unfortunately I happened to be in the path of his CV and that was the end of my brand new 2000 Civic Si :( I wish I had a dash cam back then since the rear end in a top hat claimed he had an arrow and with no witnesses it was found to be no fault and my rates went up.

I see some pretty awesome terrible driving on my daily commute but don't have any decent editing software to pull it and post. What are you guys using?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I found that my G1W produces corrupt video at 720p 30fps - I just get stuttering, noisy video. Works fine at 1080p though, so not really a problem.

Other than that, it's perfect. Having it totally automated is great.

I also 'hardwired' mine, but took the lazy route and used the included charger and an old spare cigarette lighter socket wired to a switched supply.

I have no idea about sound quality - to be honest, who needs audio recording? I don't need the recordings to include my bad taste in music or colorful language.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

revmoo posted:

I want a car DVR that mounts under a seat and lets me run 3+ bullet cameras to different areas of the car and will record for 1+ hour after parking the car. Anything like this out there?

This is what I want, and no, not really. I'm guessing a year or so until something like this comes out and doesn't suck. Is it so much to ask to have something I can leave permanently installed without worrying about it getting stolen?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The only thing about the 1+ hour recording is that if you are doing it to protect against theft, there's a good chance that whoever steals your car/breaks a window, will also take the recording device.

A lot of the dashcams do have a motion sensitive option where they start recording when they see something - I suppose that may work as an option if you are looking for recording what goes on around you? With 32GB, the Mobius gets 8hrs of capture time - with motion capture, that could be enough?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Theft isn't an issue here, it's mostly so that I can get license plate numbers of hit and runs.

Also I think I want something with an upgradeable ssd. 180gb for 130 bucks, should get me more than enough recording capacity on four cameras.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I recommend rear recording because of bad inexperienced inattentive drivers with poor reaction times.

Which is something that I saw as recently as Monday. Silvery volvo backs out, gets a third out when a red volvo across in a handicap space (with no handicap card) starts pulling out. Silver stops and holds down the horn, red continues backing for over a second and makes an 80's on 00's dent. I took a shot with my phone seconds after the ladies left the silver volvo and left them my information, if it wasn't for me they'd had a little trouble with four people in the red volvo claiming no horn was heard and that they were the ones who were backed into.

(Then again, this is Sweden where parking lots are remade to jam more spaces in rather than expanded.)

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Bugdrvr posted:

I also use a GoPro Hero 3 when I ride but it's a pain in the rear end since it doesn't automatically charge or loop. I commute 60 miles a day so that means I have to remember to charge it and erase the card every two days or so.

You can set it to loop over old recordings in the setup menu :)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Oh, now that is good info. I will go poke around there now, thanks!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For what it's worth, the "3 minute auto off" on the display is configurable.

My G1W is slowly failing. When it works, it works great. But every now and then it goes into a "gently caress you" mode where the power light will come on, and nothing else happens... and it starts backfeeding the power adapter. :stonk: It's done this twice now, and always seems to start working again once the internal battery runs down completely (the reset button won't do anything when it's doing this). Prior to this it would occasionally lose the date/time; it hasn't lost them since it started with this crap.

Pretty sure I just got a defective unit though. The video quality is great, and the audio quality is surprisingly decent. I've turned off audio recording to hide my terrible taste in music. :v:

The mount on mine is also a little loose; the camera sometimes fall off of it if I'm listening to terrible dubstep with the sub cranked up. :haw:

When it finally dies, I'll likely replace it with the same model. I haven't been able to find anything about anyone else having the same issues.

There's been a lot of reports of class 10 cards (Sandisk in particular) not working properly in a lot of dashcams, including the G1W. I've been using this Sandisk class 4 32GB with no problem, and it's only :20bux: on Amazon.

Bugdrvr posted:

I see some pretty awesome terrible driving on my daily commute but don't have any decent editing software to pull it and post. What are you guys using?

If you have Windows 7 or above, Windows Movie Maker is surprisingly capable, and it's a free download. It works just fine for adding/removing audio, speeding up/slowing down video, and trimming.

I seem to remember a version being available for XP or Vista at one point.

For OSX, I'd imagine iMovie would be perfectly capable.

Comedy option would be putting the micro SD card into your phone or tablet and editing it from there :v: - though it records in .MOV (it claims to be MP4, but YouTube bitches about Quicktime settings when uploading straight from the card), so some phones may be pissy about that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 26, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

How does the G1W funtion with regards to making the video files on the SD card when in the various loop modes vs. the loop mode turned off? The instruction manual is...entertaining but doesn't say much here.

+ Car cigarette lighter power supply, you can while driving and Photography.
+ Start the car can automatically start, automatic shooting functions.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I use a 4sight dash cam 2 in my big rig. It's mostly for insurance reasons but I upload my videos from it to youtube occasionally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGLVaEZjYS0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGFSPVFtYE

I've got more idiot driver footage I've been collecting through the holiday travel season but I'm waiting until freight volumes drop down to upload it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thank you for making this thread, I spent far too long chatting with Nodoze trying to come up with a witty title before saying gently caress it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I asked about making this kind of thread awhile back (2-3 months ago?) in the "you share a road with these fucks" thread... and was shot down. :colbert: I'm not bitter. Really. :haw:

Seriously though, hoping to see some other affordable (<$100 with 1080p and auto start/stop) models brought up outside of the G1W. Partly for variety, partly because I'm a little hesitant to replace my dying one with another G1W. The picture quality is fantastic, but the build quality on mine is garbage, and the issues mine has are definitely hardware. It has a warranty, but shipping it back to China will cost almost as much as buying a brand new one... shipped.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I asked about making this kind of thread awhile back (2-3 months ago?) in the "you share a road with these fucks" thread... and was shot down. :colbert: I'm not bitter. Really. :haw:

Seriously though, hoping to see some other affordable (<$100 with 1080p and auto start/stop) models brought up outside of the G1W. Partly for variety, partly because I'm a little hesitant to replace my dying one with another G1W. The picture quality is fantastic, but the build quality on mine is garbage, and the issues mine has are definitely hardware. It has a warranty, but shipping it back to China will cost almost as much as buying a brand new one... shipped.

My Mobius was $70, The SJ1000 Action Cam is $80

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I kind of want a camera that has 2 CCDs that face off to either corner, to get a full panoramic view. The current crop all use one camera behind a fisheye lens that only gives 120* of view while also distorting the picture. Something like this

http://dx.com/p/2-7-tft-3-0mp-cmos-wide-angle-dual-lens-car-dvr-camcorder-w-tf-mini-usb-black-181474

Anyone ever try it?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

VelociBacon posted:

No, they would not. They cannot force you to give a statement, either, unless they compel an examination under oath - which requires a court reporter.

You can, however, volunteer it if you think that it helps your case.

(edit: US)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 28, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it this thread is supposed to be about DASH CAMS not stupid hypothetical court cases.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

No, they would not. They cannot force you to give a statement, either, unless they compel an examination under oath - which requires a court reporter.

You can, however, volunteer it if you think that it helps your case.

(edit: US)

The typical contract has language requiring your cooperation, so yes, they can.

Anyways I bought a Mini 0801 http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html - should be here next week so I'll post a review.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Would audio being recorded present any problems legally? I know some states have laws on the books about two party permission for recording, which might cause more trouble than its worth versus video only. Would that apply when it comes to dash cams?

I'd love to pick one up if for nothing else than finally being able to look back and some crazy accidents I've come across driving.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Rhyno posted:

God drat it this thread is supposed to be about DASH CAMS not stupid hypothetical court cases.

Isn't the point of a dash cam for protection in hypothetical court cases?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Dustoph posted:

Well, make yourself aware of the laws for your state on who you can/cannot record, as well as when & where.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine went into its infamous gently caress YOU mode again. Except I had turned off the "turn off display" feature in the firmware, in hopes of catching it in the middle of said :fuckoff: mode to see if anything indicated what was going on.

Turns out when it goes into gently caress you mode, with the display set not to shut off, it just records nonstop until the battery dies (and thinks it's powered by the car the whole time; also makes the stereo pop and flash a bit). I'm just gonna guess whatever diode lives between the battery and USB port is making GBS threads itself. It was back feeding the power supply until the battery died, and the display showed that it was being charged while this happened.

Makes me feel better about replacing it with another G1W at least. I cracked it open, but it seems to have 3 or 4 chips and not much else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dustoph posted:

No, it's to capture footage of your auto crossing and street racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bovril Delight posted:

The typical contract has language requiring your cooperation, so yes, they can.

Anyways I bought a Mini 0801 http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html - should be here next week so I'll post a review.

I had one but returned it because it kept giving errors or just turning off randomly. Apparently the models that recorded the .ts format were much more stable but the newer ones that record .mov files have problems.