Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's the same one I have and it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My A129 Pro Duo has been mostly fine, the first summer it had a bug where sometimes it'd rotate files and something would get stuck leading to the same video frame being all that was recorded for the rest of the session. A firmware update seems to have resolved that, I haven't had it happen since.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Initiated a return on the A119 Mini 2, left a 1 star review. What a piece of junk. But now I get to spend ANOTHER two hours trying to find something ELSE that isn't garbage, and likely failing. Any recommendations aside from Viofo?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
In this thread? Probably not, I think most of us have them. I've got 2 129s and my mum has a 119 and none of them have had issues.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I have an A129 Pro Duo that’s had zero problems for a year and a half.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
drat. Well the way I see it is I either got a dud or there's something else going on with the electrical in my car that just decided to start murdering dash cams. I ordered a 70MAI A800S dual cam kit to replace the Viofo, and an INNOVA 3320 multimeter to run some battery and circuit tests. If it's a problem with the electrical that I can diagnose then I'll go back and change my Amazon review.

I had two DOD cameras that I loved, but they both basically melted in the sun after a while and now they're old tech that nobody sells anymore. :sigh:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

XYZAB posted:

drat. Well the way I see it is I either got a dud or there's something else going on with the electrical in my car that just decided to start murdering dash cams. I ordered a 70MAI A800S dual cam kit to replace the Viofo, and an INNOVA 3320 multimeter to run some battery and circuit tests. If it's a problem with the electrical that I can diagnose then I'll go back and change my Amazon review.

I had two DOD cameras that I loved, but they both basically melted in the sun after a while and now they're old tech that nobody sells anymore. :sigh:

My A129 died and when I searched the issues trying to revive it I was met with quite a few reddit posts about the same failure. For how much it cost I won't try a second one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Clearly, the solution is to order more dashcams and plug them into the same socket

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, if you've had two different dashcams die, its your cars that's the issue, not the cams. I'd recommend installing a hardwire kit so you have a dedicated USB for the dashcam.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Yeah, if you've had two different dashcams die, its your cars that's the issue, not the cams. I'd recommend installing a hardwire kit so you have a dedicated USB for the dashcam.

This. I bought the Viofo kit and haven't had a single issue with it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

It was installed via hardwire. I mentioned that in my first post. I tried two different fuse jumper locations, one for always-on, one for key-on only, and even the cig lighter in the cabin to usb had the same results. Bringing them into my house and running them from 10W chargers they had the same problem.

Nitrox posted:

Clearly, the solution is to order more dashcams and plug them into the same socket

Agreed.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I meant a proper hardwire kit for dashcams that goes from a fusetap to a 5V USB, rather than what it sounds like you're doing which is adding an extra socket and then getting USB from that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if the car's electrical system is producing surges or something that's frying dashcams, I don't think adding a fusetap to a 5v USB is going to fix it. Diagnosing lovely electrical problems like that can be a real pain in the rear end though so I dunno if you'll find it worth it to go to a mechanic.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

sounds like a job for the ai question thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520

ignore the "stupid" in the title, this is exactly the sort of thing this thread's great at helping troubleshoot

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/eY940Wy.mp4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fuckwits like this are why ADOT construction crews always have a State Trooper assigned now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I half expected them to attempt a shoulder pass at the end.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

typical bike-on-car cyclist imo

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Approaching a flip/flop traffic control for a lane closure 1.5 mile ahead, everybody gets in the left (oncoming) lane like a mile early once they see it. I stayed in the travel lane like you're supposed to do, and I've got people on the left giving ME the stink eye like I'm doing something wrong.

Go ahead flagman, flip the sign and pass the other direction of traffic with each one of these braindead assholes in the oncoming lane.

I try not to get worked up about traffic anymore, but jeeeeeeeezus there are some absolute morons out here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any one have any opinions on this deal? Sorry I'm struggling with figuring out what's important in a dash cam.

https://www.amazon.com/70mai-Parking-Recording-Android-Control/dp/B09YCZ7PYW?th=1

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Unless you can find a reputable review for that, I'd probably give it a miss and see if one of the known good brand had a Black Friday deal (Viofo has) going.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have reviewed this cheap camera more than once, since I've bought at least six of them in the last 6-7 years, all working still.

The only issue is that you need to download an firmware update to use a larger memory card, otherwise it's limited to 26gb. Which isn't too bad. The 256gb card in my main vehicle stores about 30 days worth of footage.

Small WiFi Dash Cam Camera for Car, Blueskysea B1W Mini Vehicle Video Driving Recorder 360 Degree Rotatable Lens 1080p 30fps G-Sensor Loop Recording https://a.co/d/hi6ReIl

It's currently on sale for $45, regular price $65

Edit: footage sample after YouTube compression

https://youtu.be/Ue24ic6RdGc?si=xmsPDiyzOAk25V-I

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 24, 2023

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I have a Blackvue DR900 and I am not super happy with it. Downloading videos to my phone does not work. The manual recording only STARTS the retaining recording, doesn't record the previous minute. Ultimately the Viofo A129 I tried was better but it had a hardware failure. :(

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Any one have any opinions on this deal? Sorry I'm struggling with figuring out what's important in a dash cam.

https://www.amazon.com/70mai-Parking-Recording-Android-Control/dp/B09YCZ7PYW?th=1

I think 70mai cams are becoming pretty popular but I haven’t used one myself. A Sony CCD is nice, 4K is nice, a 3” LCD is nice. “Super night vision” sounds good but try to find a review online that shows you footage. Everything else, you don’t really need.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
it's for my sister, and she'd like it to come with a rear camera too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you arrow you're not better than me :colbert:

https://i.imgur.com/zyAzUg4.mp4

Yes I ran the red light pretty badly, but

https://i.imgur.com/eXhJrlM.mp4

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

I ain't got time for 10 years of catchup on this thread.

What's the current cheap favorite not-pared-to-smartphone option everyone's running? G1W is long gone, my cheap Uniden's firmware is scrambled and it won't record, and a garbage Chinesium I have right now is probably not going to survive the winter.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've got either an A119 or an A129 and it's been working well for a few years. Check the right panel of https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/ for some current recommendations based on cost, performance etc.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i guess he'll never find out about the a119 and a129

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
LOL loving goons. What a random thing to be get mad enough about to end up sending a death threat over.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LOL loving goons. What a random thing to be get mad enough about to end up sending a death threat over.

That post probably isn't related at all to what happened. The LC entry says it happened in PMs and since site staff can't directly cite a PM in a ban or probe they usually just go into the user's post history and stick it on a recent post. Admins can do a ban from the admin panel but it's some extra clicks.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
No. I want to believe someone got so worked up over a dash cam they threatened to kill someone. It'd line up with most of the footage you see.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm planning on a big road trip in a few months and am interested in possibly getting a dashcam to record the trip. I'm planning on renting a car so any dashcam would need to be usable without modifying the car. Any particular model recommendations, or things to look out for?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

All the YouTubers use GoPros for that, are you sure you want a dashcam?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gopro is not a good dash cam

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you're recording the trip to replay the journey, you can set a gopro to take snapshots once every 1, 2, 5 seconds and then stitch those shots together with software into a video. I used Shotcut - the UI sucked but it was free and you can do a lot if you know how to use it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
OP doesn't really say if it's for insurance/CYA or some kind of artistic purpose. I have a cheap Xiaomi cam that will do time-lapse videos automatically (so no stitching later), or with a large enough card, it'll record 1080p video for a looong time. You could then just delete the old videos. The benefit I think is that you can then use the camera for other purposes, while a dashcam is pertty useless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm planning on a big road trip in a few months and am interested in possibly getting a dashcam to record the trip. I'm planning on renting a car so any dashcam would need to be usable without modifying the car. Any particular model recommendations, or things to look out for?

How comfortable are you with running a wire under the headliner around the edge of the windshield and past the passenger's legs to the USB port in the center console, on a rental car, without damaging it? Because if you don't do that, you'll have a wire dangling from the rear view mirror down the middle of the window. That kinda sucks. You can also mount a cam on the dashboard, possibly, depending on the geometry of the car you might not see much of the road right in front of you and you might see a lot of angled windshield instead of the great outdoors? Basically it's a little bit of a risk if you don't know what car the rental will be in advance, and you usually can't be sure what you'll get.

That said: most every dashcam plugs into a USB outlet, and if your car doesn't come with one you can get one that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and then it's just a matter of routing the wire in a reasonably safe manner.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just get a suction cup mount for the windshield and drop that wire straight down, it's a rental car, who gives a gently caress.

Also what is the camera for? Safety? To capture beautiful imagery?

I have it on good authority but nobody ever goes back and looks at that continuous running footage unless something really good/bad happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
some states/shitholes the cops will hassle you about stuff hanging in your view, but I would not effort much harder than binder clipping it to the visors to run it down a pillar or something