Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ok so I bought a 32gb Pixtor card for my G1W and now I'm having a problem where the camera will record for a couple of minutes and then display "memory error" and not record any more.

Do I need to format the card or buy a better (not cheapie) SD card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have the Mini 0801 as well, but I haven't got around to fitting it properly yet. Seemed to work just fine with the brief test I gave it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

Ok so I bought a 32gb Pixtor card for my G1W and now I'm having a problem where the camera will record for a couple of minutes and then display "memory error" and not record any more.

Do I need to format the card or buy a better (not cheapie) SD card?

The G1W (and a lot of other dashcams) have a known issue with class 10 cards where exactly this happens. Sandisk class 10 cards are particularly bad with dashcams for some reason (and Sandisk makes Pixtor, from what I dug up).

Try a cheaper card, actually. :haw: I have a Sandisk 32GB class 4 card, works just fine.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My G1W and GoPro got pissed off about using class 10 cards. I got some class 4s and all is well.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Huh. Go figure. Thanks guys I'll look into getting a more pleb card this week.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like the G1W is also on Amazon, and it sounds like it's the same company that sells as estore009 on ebay (same price, same text, same color options).

I just ordered another G1W through there.

edit: I emailed the seller on Amazon, they confirmed that ebay's estore009 and Amazon's BAIKLOV are the same company. So if you don't want to deal with ebay and paypal to get a dashcam, you can go here instead.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 30, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Gonna try for their one year warranty for the other one? Seems like it would make a good rear view cam if I could be sure to get a reliable one. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

Looks like the G1W is also on Amazon, and it sounds like it's the same company that sells as estore009 on ebay (same price, same text, same color options).

I just ordered another G1W through there.

edit: I emailed the seller on Amazon, they confirmed that ebay's estore009 and Amazon's BAIKLOV are the same company. So if you don't want to deal with ebay and paypal to get a dashcam, you can go here instead.

For $52 i think we have a winner.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

Gonna try for their one year warranty for the other one? Seems like it would make a good rear view cam if I could be sure to get a reliable one. :v:

Shipping the bad one back will cost almost as much as just buying a new one. Which is why I.. bought a new one. I'll probably try to ship the bad one back once I have the new one, I just didn't want to be without it for the 4-8 weeks it would take to ship back and get a replacement.

Rhyno posted:

For $52 i think we have a winner.

:confused: This camera has always been $52, I think everyone that has the G1W in AI paid about that...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just picked up a G1W, excellent video in 1080p, but 720P, the mode I first tested is a bit lacking. I'm going to do 1080p from now on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wurxYbyhO-A

Can't beat it for the price!

Going to take everyones advice and get a cheap 32 gig card, it has a 2gb now and is not enough.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Anybody have any recommendations for a dashcam that can operate reliably in unbelievable cold? I'm talking temperatures of around -40*C (coincidentally -40*F) Would be nice to get one but with how low the temperatures get around here I'm thinking I'll have trouble finding one that'll be ok with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

:confused: This camera has always been $52, I think everyone that has the G1W in AI paid about that...

The first time you linked me to it the price had gone up to $80 i think.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Rather than hard wiring my dash cam I'm adding an extra 12v outlet in my jeep. I'm going to put the new port down near the passenger footwell, and run the cable around the windshield and behind the dash, keeping it all out of the way. I thought about hard wiring, but this way will be easier and give me more options.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bajaha posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for a dashcam that can operate reliably in unbelievable cold? I'm talking temperatures of around -40*C (coincidentally -40*F) Would be nice to get one but with how low the temperatures get around here I'm thinking I'll have trouble finding one that'll be ok with it.

The lowest operating temperature I can find is -20C. I would ask on dashcamtalk.com. It seems like there are a lot of users in hotter countries like Australia but you can't be the only person to want to use it cold.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well pleased with the quality on the Mini 0801. Seems well constructed enough, still need to figure out the GPS timezone thingy. Hope I have some good videos to post soon. :v:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1A9IF3SjU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pretty happy with it, all things considered. Wish the audio were a bit better though.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I broke my patella (knee cap) yesterday. I was biking to work and went over some black ice while turning right. The bike completely fell away and I landed right on my knee, which fractured into about 5 pieces. I also had my Mobius Actioncam going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRMxHBepcrw

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fuuuuuuuuck. My boss broke his last year and the recovery from it was no small task. That sucks :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That sucks. How swollen is that sucker?

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Opensourcepirate posted:

I broke my patella (knee cap) yesterday. I was biking to work and went over some black ice while turning right. The bike completely fell away and I landed right on my knee, which fractured into about 5 pieces. I also had my Mobius Actioncam going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRMxHBepcrw

Sorry for the injury, rehab the poo poo out of it when you're done healing. I turned my ankle into goo when I was 19 or so and I still feel it today because I didn't do any therapy.

Also; all I could think of when I was watching;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5reDsSIiAk

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
My knee hurt a bunch obviously, but I wasn't sure how long it was going to keep hurting, so I wasn't sure if I needed an ambulance.

I was rather stoic at the ER too, so they didn't want to give me much for the pain... until the x-rays came back.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

I can't think of any li-ion battery that will work reliably at those temps (and they pretty much all use li-ion batteries). The electronics can't really be counted on at those temps either.

That said, if you just bring it inside at night (most of them unsnap from the mount easily enough), and wait to bring it out until you're ready to drive, the only issue I really see is the lens fogging up for a few minutes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mine actually has a capacitor but that's billed as a feature for hot climates to prevent battery explosion in a hot car. Operating temp only goes down to -10C. How are capacitors in cold climates?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I have a DOD LS430 cam in my car, was just over $100 shipped from China off Alibaba.com.

It's a similar model to this http://dashcamtalk.com/ls300w/

Great camera, though some of the features are not really worth paying the extra over their cheaper models. Auto power-on/record, video quality is excellent, even 720p at 60fps looks great. I bought 2 of them ~6 months ago, not had any issues at all. As they are constantly releasing new models I would certainly check them out if I needed to buy again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just a heads up, according to dashcamtalk a lot of cameras that say 720p/60fps are just 30fps doubling frames.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I was thinking about getting one of those square Mobius', and I have a question about the looped recording. Let's say I have it set to 10 minute looped recording and something awesome/terrible happens, can I press a button to save that last 10 minutes and start a new loop with out overwriting that last 10 minutes?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ak Gara posted:

I was thinking about getting one of those square Mobius', and I have a question about the looped recording. Let's say I have it set to 10 minute looped recording and something awesome/terrible happens, can I press a button to save that last 10 minutes and start a new loop with out overwriting that last 10 minutes?

Yes.

Pressing the Mode button while recording will protect the current loop from being overwritten.

That said, with a 32GB card in it, you get 8hrs of recording, so I probably wouldn't bother and just rely on getting home before I run out of space.

http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/MobiusManual.pdf

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bajaha posted:

You'll have to shop for something 'industrial'. Most electronic components that are rated for a commercial temperature range are something like 0C up to 85C. Industrial / extended temp components are -45C to 85C or possibly 125C. Automotive-graded components (like capacitors) are usually -45/40C to 85C rated.

I'd assume cut-rate devices coming out of Asia aren't using X7R/similar high stability / temperature compensated caps so they will probably suffer badly at low temps (likely due to brown outs from caps not operating correctly).

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I bought a G1W back in November. I had it in the Jeep one night. When I pull the headliner to fix it I'm going to run the wire so its hidden and reinstall the camera but for now it sits in its box.

The guys over on DashCamTalk have had very good luck with transcend brand memory cards for these camera's.

Here's video of me driving to work at night. *I disable the sound on the camera, random youtube music added*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_3PizQW7c

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

movax posted:

You'll have to shop for something 'industrial'. Most electronic components that are rated for a commercial temperature range are something like 0C up to 85C. Industrial / extended temp components are -45C to 85C or possibly 125C. Automotive-graded components (like capacitors) are usually -45/40C to 85C rated.

I'd assume cut-rate devices coming out of Asia aren't using X7R/similar high stability / temperature compensated caps so they will probably suffer badly at low temps (likely due to brown outs from caps not operating correctly).

Looks like I've got some searching to do. If I can't find anything I guess I'll just go with STR's suggestion and take it inside with me when it gets really cold.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Veeb0rg posted:

I bought a G1W back in November. I had it in the Jeep one night. When I pull the headliner to fix it I'm going to run the wire so its hidden and reinstall the camera but for now it sits in its box.

The guys over on DashCamTalk have had very good luck with transcend brand memory cards for these camera's.

Here's video of me driving to work at night. *I disable the sound on the camera, random youtube music added*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_3PizQW7c

Nice automatic. :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I mounted my Mini 0801 up behind my rear view mirror, it gives it a nice central view, and I can't see it from my driving position. Hard to see it from outside as well, which is good. I'm getting a little bit of reflection from my dash, but nothing problematic:

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Looks like Garmin is getting into the Dashcam game

First up is a new high-definition dashboard camera that records video footage of the road ahead and saves data in case of an incident. The dash cam automatically starts recording when the vehicle starts and stops when it stops, and uses a g-sensor to determine if there's been an incident, automatically saving the footage on a four-gigabyte microSD card along with vehicle speed, direction of travel, time and date, geographic location (on the available GPS-equipped model) and even optional audio from inside the vehicle. It's got a 2.3-inch color display and a suction cup to mount to the window. The unit begins shipping in February, starting at $219.99 without GPS or $249.99 with.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/06/garmin-dash-cam-nuvi-gps-ces/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lilleput posted:

Looks like Garmin is getting into the Dashcam game

First up is a new high-definition dashboard camera that records video footage of the road ahead and saves data in case of an incident. The dash cam automatically starts recording when the vehicle starts and stops when it stops, and uses a g-sensor to determine if there's been an incident, automatically saving the footage on a four-gigabyte microSD card along with vehicle speed, direction of travel, time and date, geographic location (on the available GPS-equipped model) and even optional audio from inside the vehicle. It's got a 2.3-inch color display and a suction cup to mount to the window. The unit begins shipping in February, starting at $219.99 without GPS or $249.99 with.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/06/garmin-dash-cam-nuvi-gps-ces/

Thanks for the info, but based on my Garmin satnav experience, I think I would rather choose some random chinese manufacturer as there is a greater chance of it actually working (and not crashing when you try to use the voice input facility)

Same specs, less than half the price and much more discrete.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331062684569

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
What's the best ~$50 camera, assuming you don't need obscene high def or special features. I would settle for something that I turned on manually and recorded enough resolution to see car make and model. I doubt I'll really need to make out fine detail or license plate numbers.

I guess the one in the OP is one of the better ones for roughly that price, yeh?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I caught a moron!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkRb0ijKzc

Camera is a G1W

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks like you accelerated quickly once he passed you. Could be a lot more defensive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
SPP seems to be held up by the traffic taking the next exit round on the roundabout, and accelerates out of it pretty much normally. The crossover driver doesn't decide to make an overtake on the van until SPP is already on his corner, and tries to pull out without indicating or shoulder-checking properly. Didn't commit to accelerating out of the roundabout, and gave the distinct impression that he was going to pause behind the van.

Though SPP's spider moron-sense should have been set off a bit earlier, I'll grant you that.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
This guy didn't really give out any 'moron' vibes. It looks like he was being held up by the van (which makes sense - the camera doesn't really show how steep that road is), but decided to pass rather than brake. I'm guessing maybe the guy checked his mirror and didn't expect me to pull alongside him so soon.

I accelerated quickly past him once he got back into his lane - I didn't want to be near him for any longer than necessary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Good news about my knee; the doctor doesn't think I need surgery, so I just need to stay off of it for a super long time.