Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

Aside from mountain roads with "Chains Required" posted and things like that, are there any places where winter tires are a legal requirement?

I think Quebec or Ontario or something have thrown up their hands and just made it mandatory during the winter months.

e: Yup Quebec.
http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pa...hiver#mandatory

quote:

Information collected in 2005 shows that 38% of the accidents that occur during the winter involve at least one vehicle that is equipped with all-season tires. These vehicles are strongly overrepresented in these accidents, as it is estimated that before 2008, 90% of passenger vehicles were driven with winter tires. In addition, the proportion of the occurrence of loss of control is even higher when the vehicles involved are equipped with all-season tires.

Tires that are designed specifically for winter driving conditions are a safe solution for driving in winter. They are designed to achieve maximum adherence on snow or ice covered surfaces.

quote:

The regulation defines tires specifically designed for winter driving as those that meet one of the following criteria prior to December 15, 2014:

Tires on which one of the following inscriptions appear: Alaska, Arctic, A/T or AT, AT/S, AT-S , Blizzard, Cresta, Ice, INSA T1, INSA T2, INSA TT770, LT, Nordic, Snow (but not mud and snow), Stud, Studdable, Studded, Studless, TS, Ultra grip , Ultratraction or Winter, or the icon representing a mountain with a superimposed snowflake.
Or

Tires that are equipped with studs and used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles.
Starting on December 15, 2014, tires will have to bear the icon or be equipped with studs and be used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Opensourcepirate posted:

Aside from mountain roads with "Chains Required" posted and things like that, are there any places where winter tires are a legal requirement?

I believe that in some European countries it's not a direct offense but if you wreck with inappropriate tires installed it's considered more your fault. Not sure if that applies just to the retards who try summer tires on snow or if it also includes crappy all seasons or lack of full winters in the colder regions.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

wolrah posted:

I believe that in some European countries it's not a direct offense but if you wreck with inappropriate tires installed it's considered more your fault. Not sure if that applies just to the retards who try summer tires on snow or if it also includes crappy all seasons or lack of full winters in the colder regions.
In Germany it's not so much considered more your fault if you're involved in an accident and your car has inappropriate tyres for the conditions, it's considered negligent. You neglected to fit proper tyres and that negligence is held against you, so a 50/50 might be rules all your fault because "if you hadn't neglected to put on proper tyres, this wouldn't have happened". If some fuckwit T-bones you and you are obviously not at fault, the fact that you were running racing slicks in January doesn't enter into it at all, even if there was black ice.

It basically boils down to whether or not the tyres have the magic snowflake (could be M+S, I'm not sure) on them. A nice Vredestein Ultrac, like I had on my previous car, is objectively a better tyre than the Kleber Viaxer2 bullshit that my current car came with. But because the Viaxer2 is an "all season" tyre, like the Goodyear Vector 4Season tyres that are currently on my car, it gets to have the magic snowflake and thereby gets a pass.
It doesn't matter that the Viaxer2 are such crap that I replaced them after 8000km because driving in the rain was loving scary.

There is no 'you have to be this cool to ride', every special little snowflake gets to go and the manufacturers are essentially free to call all their tyres special little snowflakes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Deedle posted:

It doesn't matter that the Viaxer2 are such crap that I replaced them after 8000km because driving in the rain was loving scary.

Well tbf, real winter tyres *are* worse on wet roads than all-seasons or summer tyres. Most of the tyres called "winter tyres" in Germany gets called "continental winter tyres" here in Sweden, and are considered worse on snow and ice than real winter tyres, but better on wet & dry roads.

As for Sweden and winter tyres, straight from the Swedish Transport Agency:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

For me, this vidoe just shows a link to the guy's new channel, AFAIK the video was meant to be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0jKAt-Phc

Edit: Oh God, these are all fantastic. The one starting at 1.15 is my favourite.

What really amazes me about the winter Russian dash cam videos is how many of them are simply people going far too fast for conditions, and/or trying to pass traffic on what is basically a strip of ice between snow berms, sometimes combined with no visibility.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well tbf, real winter tyres *are* worse on wet roads than all-seasons or summer tyres. Most of the tyres called "winter tyres" in Germany gets called "continental winter tyres" here in Sweden, and are considered worse on snow and ice than real winter tyres, but better on wet & dry roads.

As for Sweden and winter tyres, straight from the Swedish Transport Agency:

That's probably pretty common around Europe, the wording is similar in the Czech Republic as well. Which is good, because I'll probably make this year without buying winter tires for the miata again. It only snowed for the first time yesterday, and was up to 10 degrees until then, and in March it's already getting warmer...

The Locator posted:

What really amazes me about the winter Russian dash cam videos is how many of them are simply people going far too fast for conditions, and/or trying to pass traffic on what is basically a strip of ice between snow berms, sometimes combined with no visibility.

Case in loving point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qATEr8Q-jQg&t=11s

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Opensourcepirate posted:

It's illegal in Sweden to drive without winter tires from December 1st to March 31st and whenever the conditions warrant it. M+S tires are acceptable.

Edit: beaten

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I spent the last 2 winters riding on my Continental DWS all seasons, and for all season tires they are great. But they still left a lot to be desired compared to my current Continental Winter Extremes.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I have no experience with proper winter tyres, around here there is no need for them. The Viaxer2 things were €39 a pop all-season budget crap tyres, definitely not a real winter or snow tyre.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Winter tyres out of snow are nowhere near as bad as non-winter tyres in snow, but they are noticeably "chewy".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I found a future Darwin Award Winner. :stare:

Hard to see him as I turned off the high beams when I saw his single solitary reflector (didn't want to blind him). You get a glimpse of him - barely - when the video slows.

Dressed in dark colors. No reflectors on the bike except for the one on one pedal, no lights. Riding down the middle of a dark road. I would have never seen him had he not had that one reflector.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

For me, this vidoe just shows a link to the guy's new channel, AFAIK the video was meant to be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0jKAt-Phc

Edit: Oh God, these are all fantastic. The one starting at 1.15 is my favourite.

I'm guessing the 2 guys who gave the finger... not so much the first guy in daylight but the definitely the 2nd guy was trying to pull an insurance scam.

What's the last clip? The guy getting out to get kittens off the road along with the stripper that shows up?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Apparently all the videos end with a cat rescue. :q:

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

some texas redneck posted:

I found a future Darwin Award Winner. :stare:

Hard to see him as I turned off the high beams when I saw his single solitary reflector (didn't want to blind him). You get a glimpse of him - barely - when the video slows.

Dressed in dark colors. No reflectors on the bike except for the one on one pedal, no lights. Riding down the middle of a dark road. I would have never seen him had he not had that one reflector.

Found this gem in related videos - Professor Brian Cox witnesses that rarest of natural phenomena - "a fuckin' knobhead" brake testing a police car. :nws: for some of the terminology used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyccuJcjDJo

Knobjockey fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 23, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Knobjockey posted:

Found this gem in related videos - Professor Brian Cox witnesses that rarest of natural phenomena - "a fuckin' knobhead" brake testing a police car. :nws: for some of the terminology used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyccuJcjDJo

He needs to narrate ... Everything.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No video since I'm at work but I passed a semi dragging what appeared to be a blowout, sparks flying everywhere off the steel belts. Amazing that he was truckin along at 80mph, have to imagine another truck would have told him over the CB.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Krakkles posted:

He needs to narrate ... Everything.

Oh my god I want him in the passenger seat every morning with me on the way to work in rush hour.

Well at least for a week.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Edit: removed because I didn't realize I was still a page back and late to the discussion.

Ignore my stupidity. I blame lack of caffeine.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I already got my dashcam off that chinese guy. I ordered it last Wednesday and it estimated something like 10-15 business days. Its possible it got here sooner but I only bother checking my mail on Monday and Friday. Pretty amazing for being shipped from China.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufk0qRlTlLo&t=247s

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That was discussed a little while ago in the Aeronautical thread; the captain of the aircraft had some sort of role at the racetrack (I think he was a cashier or something like that) and decided to do a low pass over the track. Would you believe that the first officer survived that crash?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I inadvertently turned to mother Russia for this.
If you hunt around on Google Play, roughly 100% of Android dashcam apps are Russian.

Unfortunately my phone is pretty low end so I can't try half the apps, but I did get a couple and am going to give them a go. I got the second highest tier 16gb Sandisk micro SD card today ($36 :cry:) and I'm going to shove my phone in the surprisingly well made for its price ($9) cheap shop phone holder and go for a drive.

Not expecting miracles but it should be interesting because the apps offer things like velocity and looped recording. There's one that record the route as you are driving but my lovely phone isn't compatible.

I'll try to upload a little footage. It won't be interesting but it'll be indicative of how these free apps fare.

Just on that SD card thing. The cardboard blister pack thing was covered in claims that it was great for Android phones. The cheaper one was sold out and the more expensive one (Sandisk Extreme) while probably awesome like the SSD in this computer, was unnecessary. Good micro/SD cards are worth it. Don't cheap out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

That was discussed a little while ago in the Aeronautical thread; the captain of the aircraft had some sort of role at the racetrack (I think he was a cashier or something like that) and decided to do a low pass over the track. Would you believe that the first officer survived that crash?

I like the guy standing in front of the Christmas tree watching the crash, reaching for the extinguisher, then realizing that a hand-held can is literally worthless against that fireball.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

From the related items :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZQbVFzWmo&t=227s

Poor fellow. You can see that he's worried about the big guy.

He is wrong.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

What I get from those Russian dashcam crash compilations is:
1) I'm never going (back) to Russia
2) Russians are morons. Except Putin, of course. I don't want him coming after me :tinfoil:
3) Most/all of those accidents could have been avoided with a bit of patience, paying a BIT of attention, and simply slowing the gently caress down in those conditions.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

http://www.reddit.com/r/Roadcam/ is a good source of scary dashcam footage

like this butt-puckering moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9lF_9m7yQ

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I love how even though he sees it coming, he never takes his foot off the gas.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

The amount of stupidity on display is... impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW_IkA16AeE&t=123s

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
So is the Honda trying to bait a collision, or just being a dick?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Being a dick because the camera truck/van was hogging up the left lane when the right one was completely empty.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can't determine whether she's egging him on or admonishing him. I prefer to assume the latter.

E: I know the truck shouldn't have been in the left lane, but man that Honda driver is a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 29, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

I can't determine whether she's egging him on or admonishing him. I prefer to assume the latter.

E: I know the truck shouldn't have been in the left lane, but man that Honda driver is a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Yeah the truck was in the wrong but I kept hoping the video would end with it PIT-ing the Honda (and then maybe beating them to death with a tire-iron) because gently caress that guy. That video made me furious just watching it. Truck guy is a major douche for going into oncoming traffic to try and over take though.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
It certainly looks like the Honda driver was endangering the people in the oncoming lane by preventing the camera vehicle from moving across.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah, it looks like the dude in the Honda is actively blocking them and preventing them from coming back in. Although the truck driver shouldn't have tried to overtake the Honda, the idiot was brake checking them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

The camera vehicle was at worst a minor annoyance at the beginning, though it reacted in the worst possible way to the Accord's dumbass provocation.

Anyway, at least it wasn't this, jfc :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx-iDeceac&t=80s (from 1:20, if it doesn't jump there automatically)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Wow this thread has good timing.

I got into an accident where I had a protected left green arrow and hit a guy who decided to completely blow through the oncoming red signal. He claimed I ran a red arrow (along with everyone following behind me apparently. :downs:)

Luckily my insurance found me to be not at fault but I am getting a dashcam so I won't have to deal with that bullshit ever again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mobby_6kl posted:

The camera vehicle was at worst a minor annoyance at the beginning, though it reacted in the worst possible way to the Accord's dumbass provocation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx-iDeceac&t=80s (from 1:20, if it doesn't jump there automatically)

Holy poo poo I didn't expect that.

That was like a perfect worst-case scenario.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't expect that.

That was like a perfect worst-case scenario.

Reminds me of "Meet Joe Black" as played by cars.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

jfc indeed

fairly certain the occupants of the Toyota (?) are nothing but paste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

tuna posted:

Reminds me of "Meet Joe Black" as played by cars.

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Dude in the Yota got buttfucked by chance.