Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Ehhhh, we've both got a lane to turn into. I'd be amazed if I got a ticket before the truck got one for pulling into the outside lane.

Although I wouldn't have made that turn in one of my nicer cars.

Traffic turning left may turn into any lane, unless pavement markings indicate otherwise :

Texas Transportation Code Sec. 545.101 posted:

To make a left turn at an intersection, an operator shall:
(2) after entering the intersection, turn left, leaving the intersection so as to arrive in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of the vehicle on the roadway being entered.

You were totally required to yield to that truck if he wanted the outside lane and you didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Considering Memorial has freeway-width lanes and only 60mph traffic, it's really not that hard to stay off the curbs.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Considering that the last time I watched someone else blow a tire at 60MPH, they stomped on the brakes (and presumably sawed at the wheel) hard enough to do a 180 in their lane and grind against the center divider for a while, I'd say that went well.

Let me guess, they promptly sued Ford and Firestone for their lovely driving.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Laserface posted:

How is that anything more than 'the other guy us 100% responsible' ?

"Our insured is only 50% responsible" is insurance company speak for "We think we can get away with only paying half because you're an unsophisticated, legally unrepresented, smart-car driving little bitch"

That's when you're supposed to turn it over to your own insurance to subrogate, but I'm guessing Zero VGS didn't have collision coverage or the damage was less than his deductible, so his own insurer took a pass.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I see a small claims suit in your future. Just getting the complaint served will demonstrate you're not spineless and may get the insurer to improve the offer.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

1. Not paying attention, drift out of lane a bit, finally notice -> PANIC!!! JERK AT THE WHEEL VIOLENTLY
2. Lateral acceleration > 0.3g, car now headed out of the other side of the lane -> DOUBLE PANIC!!!!!!! JERK THE WHEEL BACK THE OTHER WAY AND LIFT OFF THE GAS
3. Lateral acceleration > 0.6g, rear sliding due to dumbass control inputs -> WERE GONNA DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!one!!!!!!! SAW AT THE WHEEL AND SMASH THE BRAKES
4. Vehicle completes the spin as requested, smashes into a truck -> "I don't know what happened officer, I just lost control of the car"

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah that's something I noticed as well. You guys have a shitload of stop signs.

That's because they're used liberally as speed control devices, not just for right-of-way control.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Yup. I have to tell people to lawyer up all the time. "Naw man, I don't wanna do all that" okay then bud you can kiss that $1000 goodbye because he won't pay you unless you make him pay your lawyer too.

Then again, I was raised by a pack of lawyers, took my own brother to small claims over $800, and currently have two open cases for $100 and $300.

I needs my money dammit

It cannot possibly be worth the time and hassle of small claims for $100. Why not just mail your avdesary a box of dog poop and move on with your life?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

If you really want to, that's certainly something you could take to small claims. Or if you know who the valet's insurer is, you can try submitting a 3rd party claim directly with them.

..but if it were me, I'd just submit a claim with my own insurer and let their subrogation department handle it.*

* I have no idea how such a claim might affect your rates in MA's byzantine insurance system. In places with more sane insurance markets, a small claim like that where I could pretty well prove it was someone else's fault would have a negligible effect.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Do you have the insurance info of the driver that hit you? File a claim with them - they'll give you a lowball damage estimate that you're free to take as a check and pocket.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

the kid bike sidecrash at 9:00 should be more at home in a[n instructional video]

If you have time to say "Woah" a full second before impact, you have time to panic brake from 30mph. Put the brake pedal on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

dashcam faithfully captures uninterrupted HD video of my crime spree and my face reacting to my own crime spree.

Me: "That could have been anybody, and since when is it a crime to try and run over pedestrians with a TRUKK? Not Guilty!"