Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I found that my G1W produces corrupt video at 720p 30fps - I just get stuttering, noisy video. Works fine at 1080p though, so not really a problem.

Other than that, it's perfect. Having it totally automated is great.

I also 'hardwired' mine, but took the lazy route and used the included charger and an old spare cigarette lighter socket wired to a switched supply.

I have no idea about sound quality - to be honest, who needs audio recording? I don't need the recordings to include my bad taste in music or colorful language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I caught a moron!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkRb0ijKzc

Camera is a G1W

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

This guy didn't really give out any 'moron' vibes. It looks like he was being held up by the van (which makes sense - the camera doesn't really show how steep that road is), but decided to pass rather than brake. I'm guessing maybe the guy checked his mirror and didn't expect me to pull alongside him so soon.

I accelerated quickly past him once he got back into his lane - I didn't want to be near him for any longer than necessary!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Yes, it's just a suction cup. I've yet to break mine!

And yes, it will date/timestamp the videos if you want it to.

I've just ordered another G1W for a different car. They are so cheap that I figure it's worth it to not have to keep switching the camera out.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I was lazy when wiring mine - I bought a female cigarette lighter socket and used the stock power adapter. I zip tied both of them inside the dash and tok power from the regular lighter. Cable goes up the A pillar and tucks around the headliner. I removed the screw for the sunvisor in the corner of the headliner and tucked the cable behind that as well. The camera is mounted with it's suction pad behind/next to the rear view mirror. Simple :)

I'd recommend checking that the cigarette lighter power is switched (it's not on one of my cars). If it's not, you can probably use the power switched line for the stereo.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Not really "concealed", though I do remove it whenever I park for a bit.

I put some black electrical tape over the 'flash' window and used a Sharpie on the chrome lens ring and chrome buttons. Much harder to see now :)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

sarcastx posted:

*The silver trim around the camera makes it stand out as a target for thieves. It is, however, easily removable.

How did you remove yours? I tried pulling/levering mine off but it wouldn't budge. I didn't bother opening it up to investigate and just painted the silver in with a Sharpie.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

spog posted:

The new Russian dashcam video for Jan is up at VodkaVideo and there are some real doozies this month:

For me, this vidoe just shows a link to the guy's new channel, AFAIK the video was meant to be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0jKAt-Phc

Edit: Oh God, these are all fantastic. The one starting at 1.15 is my favourite.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 22, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

So is the Honda trying to bait a collision, or just being a dick?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

It certainly looks like the Honda driver was endangering the people in the oncoming lane by preventing the camera vehicle from moving across.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Rotate the camera on mount through 180 degrees (i.e. to point the camera backwards if it were attatched to your car), then 'tilt' the suction pad towards the lens. you end up with a more compact mount.

It limits the vertical range since the suction pad is right above the lens, so may not work depending on the angle of your windshield.

I just bought another G1W for my next car, and I got a blue one! At least it matches the paintwork.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Hahahahaha. Why didn't they just pull in front of you? It's a fundamental part of overtaking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Ror posted:

Also, is there a preferred method of running a wire down the A-pillar? I can force most of it into the crevasse but it doesn't want to stay in there perfectly by friction alone.

Remove the A pillar trim and tape/ziptie it to the wires that are already running up there. Not applicable if you have air bags in there.

I have a 'cheap' G1W and a 'not quite so cheap' G1W, they seem to be the same to me. The cheaper one didn't come with a HDMI cable though.