Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have the Mini 0801 as well, but I haven't got around to fitting it properly yet. Seemed to work just fine with the brief test I gave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I mounted my Mini 0801 up behind my rear view mirror, it gives it a nice central view, and I can't see it from my driving position. Hard to see it from outside as well, which is good. I'm getting a little bit of reflection from my dash, but nothing problematic:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
SPP seems to be held up by the traffic taking the next exit round on the roundabout, and accelerates out of it pretty much normally. The crossover driver doesn't decide to make an overtake on the van until SPP is already on his corner, and tries to pull out without indicating or shoulder-checking properly. Didn't commit to accelerating out of the roundabout, and gave the distinct impression that he was going to pause behind the van.

Though SPP's spider moron-sense should have been set off a bit earlier, I'll grant you that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Subaru's lighter socket is ignition switched, so I wired a second socket on a short lead into the wiring going to it (usefully, there is a 3" section that connects between the socket and the loom, so I could remove it and do it on a table) and just plugged the adaptor which came with the camera into that, tucked behind the dash.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Winter tyres out of snow are nowhere near as bad as non-winter tyres in snow, but they are noticeably "chewy".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I cocked up with mine the first time and set the power-off (turn everything off) instead of the screen-off timer. You sure you haven't done the same?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Note that they're the same housing as the more expensive ones, but the internals are different.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Actually, I may be completely wrong, I was thinking of Mini 0801s, because I just had a conversation with a friend about the exact same thing. Bugger, sorry about that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ror posted:

Also, is there a preferred method of running a wire down the A-pillar? I can force most of it into the crevasse but it doesn't want to stay in there perfectly by friction alone.
I find hot glue can work if the trim is hard plastic. Try an experiment somewhere hidden on a kick panel or whatever, but it doesn't seem to be hot enough to damage anything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I hate being on the end of a queue like that, when there's plenty of time for you to all clear the junction, but the car in front of you decides they need to drive at walking pace.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I wire a second lighter socket into the switched feed, but on a short lead behind the dash panel, and plug the supplied cord into that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrLonghair posted:

If WinMovieMaker craps itself (it usually does, irreparably) an old version Sony Vegas is the cheapest you can get for replacement, $40 for the most basic, $50 for a more advanced capable one.
I have Vegas, mainly because I wanted a basic editor cheap, and it's easy to use and does what I want.

Oh, and my Mini 0801 is doing the "not always recording" thing, generally being ok if I reformat the card. Try a different card, yes? It's the one that was supplied with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If your car has a rear 12v socket, a normal dashcam either end is probably the easiest to do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crankit posted:

It doesn't have a rear 12v socket, it only has one at the front. (2002 renault clio)
Well, I'd consider a twin-camera system, though I remain of the opinion that two single cameras is a better KISS implementation. I would just run a second power supply jumped off the feed to the standard lighter socket, and use this to give a hidden socket under the dash and a second in the rear.

It's pretty easy to run wiring around a Clio behind the trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Zero VGS posted:

Caught my first... interesting thing on my cam, not sure if it's interesting to post though. Some guy had his bike rack completely obscuring his license plate, no bike on it. I pulled up next to him and told him the cops might stop him for that. He's like, "oh, I know" and gives me a thumbs up and grin. Is he planning to rob a bank or something?
I got pulled for that once, relatively cheap ticket and no points. Mr Plod was very keen to explain how, with my numberplate obscured, I would not be recognised by speed cameras! Cue my very bestest "oh isn't that a pity" facial expression.