Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tex Avery posted:

I mean, you're not getting into completely unfamiliar territory. When I first moved out to almost the middle of nowhere from the big city, I heard some co-workers talking. One was telling the other that the bull bars he ordered had arrived, and he was going to weld them on this weekend, and they talked back and forth about the specs and where it was going to be welded on.

I finally spoke up and asked what the hell bull bars are, and was told that they're reinforcement bars that go in front of the bumper and radiator on a pickup to prevent the vehicle from being totaled when you hit an elk or a deer, which I later learned happens all the drat time.

I'd imagine you'd have to scale it up a little bit, but if you run it back far enough into the frame and get a good welder to do a full penetration weld along the entire length of the shank, you'd stand a far better chance of walking away from the crash.

RIP to your wallet tho after you fill up the tank a couple of times a week

At that point you're basically making a cowcatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Jesus gently caress some of those trucks were just going at ludicrous speed into that crash, looks like they were making no attempt at slowing down

One of them was dragging on the divider to try to shed speed, you can see the sparks. I wouldn’t be surprised if many of them were going over 70 like you usually do on the highways in Dallas on the one day you couldn’t get away with it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I once ran into a box that fell off a truck in front of me. This was on the highway though so I didn't stop there to check what was inside, could've been bitcoins.

Maybe a red shell.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Seeing as I might be replacing it tomorrow, have the rather anti-climactic death of my first car. (start at the 2 minute mark). Cam automatically cuts into 3min chunks, couldn't have timed that ending comment better if I tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6bllGrKYKk

:rip:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roadie posted:

As somebody who's never used a dashcam at all before in the first place, I have no idea how important the video quality is or what's considered a reasonable minimum for them.

Though for the backup cam at least, I'm defaulting to not caring much, since that'd just be to help with the absurdly big turning radiuses Minis have for such small cars.

Composite is the old yellow RCA video cable that hooked your Super Nintendo into your CRT TV. You will be hard pressed to get a license plate from a dash cam of that resolution unless it's close and stationary in your FOV for a couple of frames. You should probably be looking for something that will run a 720 input at minimum.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

ITT: rich kids that didn’t have to use an RF switch

That's how I did the Nintendo and Atari.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I would have considered filing against her insurance for the cosmetics just to run her rates up if she was going to be an rear end in a top hat like that and I had video proof that she was at fault.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you're in the US and the daughter is a minor she's almost certainly still on her parent's policy so you'd still be punching the mom in the pocketbook for being a shithead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/swe6i_/status/1458822234231951376?s=20

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

He didn't get the dirvoce? :(

He did but it didn't help that much.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sound on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I can think of one case where an SA poster's posts became relevant in a legal case. The admins had to move an entire thread into the secret nobody-can-see-it forum to protect the poster. In that case, it wasn't a lawyer specifically who found the posts, but the individual bringing (and defending) various suits, but the point is, the posts wound up in court. This was within the last five years.

It is just generally a terrible idea to admit on social media to things that could undermine your argument in a legal case of any kind. Even worse idea to not tell your lawyer about it.

It's happened more than once. There was at least one E/N thread that got hauled up during a custody dispute though in that case the other party was aware of the poster's use of SA and could steer the attorney to the site and go through post history to see what he was saying during the trial.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: eh not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

LOL loving goons. What a random thing to be get mad enough about to end up sending a death threat over.

That post probably isn't related at all to what happened. The LC entry says it happened in PMs and since site staff can't directly cite a PM in a ban or probe they usually just go into the user's post history and stick it on a recent post. Admins can do a ban from the admin panel but it's some extra clicks.